KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tanfield Garage

I wonder how many boys from KBGS bought a bicycle from my grandfather's shop on North Street?
My maternal grandfather was Alec Shuttleworth. His first job was as an apprentice to Francis E Cox (Airedale Motor Co) in 1913. He worked there with Walter Burgess, who also later owned his own garage in Keighley.
Grandfather started Tanfield Garage opposite to the Grammar School where, for a time, he had the only swing arm petrol pumps in Keighley. Before the driving test became law in 1935 he would give customers a quick driving lesson before letting them take the car away. Mind you, there wouldn't be much traffic around in those days!

He eventually sold the garage and after the war commenced business as a cycle dealer in premises on the corner of Campbell Street. There he developed a special gear which he patented (TriVelox). Illness forced him into early retirement in the late 1940s.

Current location (optional) Shipley

Re: Tanfield Garage

Hi Tim

I remember the cycle shop well. I had repairs done there - at a workshop in the back street, but my recollection is that Alec Shuttleworth had the shop throughout my years at KBGS. I got a new Raleigh Sports for £7.7.0 in 1937 but I cannot remember buying it there, so perhaps it hadn't opened at that time.

Was Mollie your mother? The family lived near the Belgrave Road entrance to Devonshire Park, in what I thought was called Barlow Terrace (or Road). I think I knew her at Highfield School, though she would be younger than me. My early days were spent in Lismore Road , very close to your father and his elder brother, Edgar and your grandparents of course, so I was vaguely acquainted with both sides of your family.

Talking of Tanfield Garage, I recall going there with neighbours who took their cars there for servicing - it was a different world inside the garage from the North Street scene outside. I can smell the oil and leather now.. One neighbour, my teacher at Highfield, bought a new Morris 10 there in 1936/37 or thereabouts (AWY753). Because it was longer than her own garage she had a little extension built, just big enough to house the bonnet.

Your post brought back many memories. Thanks

David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1937-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

Hello David,

Yes, my mother is called Mollie and she says she remembers you. You are probably a couple years older than her. She did live on Barlow Road (back garden gate led onto Belgrave Road near the park entrance).
Mother and Father met on the Devonshire Park tennis courts and were married in 1948.
Were you at KBGS with George Lambert? We meet up with George and his wife on a Friday for a meal. George was born in 1927 and would have started at the school in 1938.
Regarding Alec Shuttleworth's cycle shop, I think he opened it in the late 1930s, so you might have bought your bicycle at his shop. He made mother a special bike - all silver - with several gears. It was, apparently, greatly admired (she says) by the boys!
At sixteen she rode this bike to Morecambe and back with a girl friend taking all day and half the night. Her mother was very annoyed when she arrived home at about 2am! Happy days.

Best wishes

Tim

Yes Tim. I remember G W Lambert well, although he was apparently one year behind me at KBGS - I believe he came from Silsden. Next time you speak give him my regards.

David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1937-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

Ah yes, Shuttleworths.
My parents bought me a Sun Supalite bike there in the late 50s, I think they were hoping it would encourage me to study harder - it didn't work sorry to say.
I've sent an image to Chris for him to place it accordingly. The bike is pictured parked outside my home at 22 Lawnswood Road. It took me all over the Dales every weekend for several Youth Hostelling years. It had a Reynolds531 alloy frame and 5 'Campag' gears (I thought it had 10 gears but I can't see the sprockets for a 'double clanger').
And yes, it had toe clips which were new to me! I remember my mate Tony Woodwiss coming to have a look at it and I proudly mounted myself in the saddle, tightened the toe clips and away I went up the road, turned around and came to a stop, feeling pretty chuffed. But I forgot to loosen the toe clips didn't I, and I slowly fell over on the cobblestones, stuck in the saddle - that brought me down to earth! Tony pissed 'imself laughing of course.

Hello David,

Yes, George did live in Silsden. He now lives at Ilkley. His elder brother Frank was also at KBGS.

Another 'old boy', who was in the same form as George, Michael Wright, came to visit us this week. Michael, who lives at Oxenhope, also had an elder brother David, who died a couple of years ago. David was married to my mother's cousin.

Other boys on the 1940s photo mother recalls are - Jimmy Dewhirst (worked latterly at O S Wains down Cavendish St), Derek Bradley, and Tommy Broster (his Dad was once mayor of Keighley). She says there are several more but can't remember their names!

I shall pass on your best wishes to George tomorrow.

Tim