KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wuthering Heights, the poem

Was I the only ex-KBGS lad genuinely moved by the BBC Channel Four programme on Sylvia Plath and her iconic poem 'Wuthering Heights'. Anybody who has walked from Haworth to Top Withens and over to Hardcastle Crags will have recognised and emphasised with the power and majesty of her early landscape poem before the tragedy of her marriage to poet laureate Ted Hughes unfolded. A magnificent programme which elevated Haworth Moor once again to global literary status. Available on BBC Iplayer.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-1968

Current location (optional) Scarborough

Re: Wuthering Heights, the poem

Indeed, I enjoyed it immensely. I have been following much of BBC4's peotry season. Must get a copy of Sylvia Plath Collected Poems.
Poet James Krikup died last week, I believed he also wrote some W. Yorks based poems, must look him up too.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Cheers Brian. The excellent BBC Poets Landscape series will get even better, I am sure. However, I am a little disappointed that the subject of Tanfield Garage is considered more interesting than the poems of Sylvia Plath. Derek 'The slapper' Cronshaw where are you when we need you!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-1969

Current location (optional) Scarborough

I remember Nev Lumbers well. A cultured, sensitive aesthete. All the more remarkable seeing he came from Denholme

Maybe if Ms Plath had manipulated the petrol pumps or sold bikes to the lads she would have been more interesting!

I too remember Neville Lumbers well, and have memories of lumps on the back of my head caused by being hit from behind with the edge of a ruler!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-66

Current location (optional) Keighley