KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
manufacturing

I went through school being interested in making things. I was channelled through woodwork ( Midgeley )
metalwork, Tech drawing etc and was told there would always be jobs in my entire lifetime. I got an apprenticeship at Keighley Lifts and could have had several others ( plenty of choice )
My point is now I visit my brother in Keighley and all manufacturing seems to have gone. Just walking up Dalton Lane of a lunchtime was like being in a football crowd.
I eventually went teaching in a college in North Wales but now the last remnants of manufacturing are closing here with the Hotpoint factory due to close in July.
How sad it all looks as the factory is emptied bit by bit.In hindsight could anything have been done differently?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) north wales

Re: manufacturing

Malcolm, I think the problem was that we were content to rest on our reputation rather than innovation, look how the Japanese kicked the crap out of the British motor cycle industry by introducing an electric start rather than the old shin breaking kick start, etc, etc

I hear what you say Malcolm; however, there are several small lift companies who still manufacture lifts in Keighley (mainly owned and operated by ex 'Keighley Lifts' staff). There is also 'Kone' - the ex-Keighley Lifts offshoot that manufactures escalators for sites throughout the UK.

No-more 'Deans' or 'Prinnies' or 'Blacks' - their site adjacent to the railway will open on Monday as a new ASDA outlet.

No-more Keighley West Yorkshire 'Works Specials' at lunchtimes when you could hardly see through the fog generated by 'coffin nails' being enjoyed by the armies of real engineers on the 'Upper Deck' of 12.20 Fell Lane bus!

Those were the days!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Sad but true that manufacturing declined for oh so many reasons.
Served my time at Dean's, a good standing and opened so many doors.
80's was a joke as small engineering companies went to the wall and my CV was too long!
Have had to travel and do a lot of contract work over the years but I have met so many interesting people, and seen so many interesting things and innovative solutions to problems.

Yes there is a demand for "skilled" engineering/manufacturing personnel more than ever. Even at my advanced years where my latest employer were really pleased to "find" me

The key I would suggest, is flexibility. because manufacturing changes, you have to but if you don't then....................

Good careers out there for people who are prepared to work hard. Financially not as well paid as some but it has its other benefits.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 64-70

Current location (optional) still Keighley