KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The North/South Divide

Us Yorkies or Tykes are used to being differentiated against by others on this island - (soft southerners and BBC pundits alike).

I have become aware through these postings that there could be a North/South divide between us up 'eear and you lot darn theear (Ozzies and such like!).

In the late '60s, I (we) nearly moved as a family to Commonwealth points south. The factors involved in the decision not to do so were weighty.

Those of us who "stayed" up here would be interested to read the thoughts and subsequent conclusions of those of you who "followed through".

What we would really wish to know is - what are the best wines to buy - regardless of the supermarket label.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: The North/South Divide

Don't know that you can go far wrong with much Australian wine unless you opt for anything from the Griffith/Riverina area of NSW where it tends to taste like cheap Italian wine, no matter how it is labelled.

I have far greater concerns with the beer, I don't know very many Australians who actually drink, never mind like, Fosters. Sure a lot drink lager, but there is also a healthy market for ale and bitter. If you can find any, Toohey's Old Black Ale is a nice drop as long as it doesn't get too chilled and is a pleasnt way to finish off the day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) john.felvus@tafensw.edu.au

Current location (optional) Haworth via Blue Mountains Australia