KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ANZAC Day

As all KBGS Old Boys in Australia and New Zealand know, 25th April is ANZAC Day. This day comemorates the disasterous Gallipoli Landings when both Australia and New Zealand received their "baptism of fire". British and other forces were also involved.

Could we all take time on the day to think about those old boys who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country, not just in WW1 but all conflicts before and since.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) john.felvus@tafensw.edu.au

Current location (optional) Haworth via Blue Mountains Australia

Re: ANZAC Day

When I was 21 I spent some time travelling around Turkey with a few friends. One of the places we visited was Gallipoli and we had a full day walking the area and looking at the topography as well as the memorials. Even at that age we were astounded that senior officers could imagine that such a place was an ideal spot for an invasion. The peninsula is mountainous with great views for the defending forces of any possible landing sites. There is virtually no cover for troops once they have landed. And even if the peninsula could have been captured it would have been very difficult to press the attack towards Edirne and Istanbul along such a narrow spit of land, and with such good sites from which the defenders could bombard the troops and those attempting to resupply them. Pure madness!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

I was in Crete on Anzac day although not aware of it at the time. In a very small place called Stavromenos there is a monument to the Anzac troops who fought and died there in WWII. There was a big ceremony. Big for the size of the place. Flash Greek uniforms, plenty of brass and swank, a band and lots of locals in white dresses and clothes.As the Ceremony finished the band played 'Waltzing Matilda' ( badly) and an old Aussie soldier came out from the crowd in his wheel chair with his bush hat on and very proudly laid a wreath for his fallen comrades. Very, very surprising happening for me, and very very moving.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1950

Current location (optional) Keighley

I was up at 4am in order to attend the Torquay Anzac Day Dawn Ceremony. The numbers attending this morning were huge, several thousand, and it will be interesting to hear the official figures, the crowds seem to be getting bigger every year.
While not wanting to take away from the meaning and emotion of the event, the thing that struck me most was the overwhelming emphasis by the speakers on religion, god taking care of the fallen, their souls at rest with him etc etc. If there really was/is a benevolent overlooker wouldn't you think that he/she would stop these horrendous events happening in the first place.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56-62

It's just possible that those whose sacrifice was being commemorated would have liked their family and successors to be comforted in this way.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

If you accept that God is omnipotent,then he had the power to save them.

And didn't.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) ajax@gmx.co.uk

Current location (optional) Harrogate

trevor pickles
I was up at 4am in order to attend the Torquay Anzac Day Dawn Ceremony. The numbers attending this morning were huge, several thousand, and it will be interesting to hear the official figures, the crowds seem to be getting bigger every year.

Its the same in NZ Trevor. Crowds are getting bigger and younger. More youngsters wearing grandparents medals. Good to see the Vietnam veterans being recognised at last. I read where the Vietnam vets were to lead the parade in Brisbane for the first time. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Then again Terry, it's just possible that many might not!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56-62

I was commisioned into the TA in Manchester and joined the Manchester Regiment ,which later becme the King's Regiment .
One of our annual events was the invitation from the Officers of the Lancashire Fusiliers to join them at their Gallipoli Parade on the 25th April at their HQ in Bury .The Lancashires won 6 VCs during that campaign and one of the Toasts at the Mess Dinner was to our gallant comrades of the ANZAC Divisions and our friends in Australia and New Zealand

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) cumbria

In my first appointment I worked with a colleague ( several years my senior) who had been a pupil at Upholland GS - (Wigan, I believe). He told the story of how Churchill was hated in that district because of the losses of the Lancashire Fuzzies at Gallipoli - which had been Churchill's master plan to split the German forces East/West. The Turks turned out to be better fighters than Churchill anticipated - which smacks a little of the Russian front in WWII - but that time to Britain's advantage. It would be interesting to hear from our colonial chums if there is any carry-over of that blame harboured by ANZAC veterans/historians.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

It is generally acknowledged that Churchill made a blunder at Gallipoli, but WWII seemed to make up for it although he still cops a bit of stick over the Brisbane Line, ie, draw a line across Australia from Brisbane to the West, let the Japanese take the North so that Australian troops could keep fighting in Europe and after that was won, come back to Australia and kick the Japanese out.

INteresting comment about the religious aspect of ANZAC Day, I held a luncheon (read drunken party) for some old comrades and neighbours with service connections. I asked my wife to pick up a copy of "The Ode" from her work, unfortunately, she is still unfamiliar with being a military wife even after all this time and she brought a bundle of Presbyterian Church services, the Ode was not there. Not one of my mates was willing to read it any of the prayers, so we all sort of mumbled our way through it as best we could.

Great day anyway, relived a lot of memories, embroidered and embellished a lot of yarns and was a bit hungover on Sunday, as it should be.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) john.felvus@tafensw.edu.au

Current location (optional) Haworth via Blue Mountains Australia