KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Earliest Memories

Hey - where are you all?
BBC TV are asking viewers what their earliest memories are.
We could do the same?

What was Your earliest memory?
Your earliest school memory?
Your earliest kbgs memory?
Your earliest memory that might (?) amuse us?

Any effing memory - if you're still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Earliest Memories

One of my first memories is deciding that no matter what else happened, I was going to avoid playing rugby, and so far I have been successful. My epiphany came in the first scratch match in the first week at KBGS. Being small and fairly solid I was picked by the myopic Frankie Wellock to play scrum half. At that stage I had never seen the bloody game and had no idea what a scrum half did. But I soon found out that as well as doing something rather odd with the ball, in my spare time I was also supposed to try to bring opponents to the ground. One of them was a big bloke called Dave Harrison who put his hand in my face and kept going. Then there was an ever bigger and faster kid called Snowden who treated me with similar contempt and gave me a black eye. I felt I was in the land of the giants and it was obvious I should keep away from all this nonsense. Next week I was promoted downwards to a team where kids were smaller and shared the laudable ambition of not getting hurt. Then, somehow (unless my memory is suspect) I managed to get out of playing altogether and instead was sent on what was laughingly called a cross country run. This consisted of running out of sight at a fair lick, then doing virtually nothing for an hour or so, then panting back into view. I think I kept up this subterfuge for five years and have no regrets. However, had Aussie Rules been taught at KBGS my story might have been different.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) melbourne

My earliest memory was seeing some baby fledglings hung by pieces of cotton from a tree branch in Cranwell Lincolnshire.
My earliest school memory is sleeping( ????) every afternoon in Reception at Eastwood on woven mats that left their impression on my face.
Also standing in the rain at the school gates while my Dad went off to war in Egypt. My father told me my wellingtons were on the wrong feet.
My first memory of KBGS was being told I would be studying Geometry and my mouth dried . I didn't know what it was.
Trigonometry was worse. In fact I enjoyed both.
I also remember the Gymnasium seemed enormous and full of echoes.
Arthur Seeley.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1950

Current location (optional) Keighley

Paul, I recall that very day. We were shepherded down Lawkholme, with our kit rolled up in a towel swiss roll and our boots' laces knotted and round "us" necks. You and I were in the same form and our guardians for the day (and the rest of the term)were Gil Swift and Bob Fletch.
Having got us changed, we did daft stuff like running round the perimeter of the wasteland north of Kly CC ground - and then passing (and dropping)in circles, It wasn't until after Christmas (1953 Coronation Year!!!) that we were allowed to have a "game" - it was actually no contest. Obviously (on your admission) you were positioned according to size and speed. Do you remember - Gil and Bob made us all run across the field to a disused brick shed (for lambing??)and back. They advised us that the first back would be "backs" (you speedy little sod) and the slowest would be forrards. My dad had trials for Bramley RL as a hooker and I felt I owed him the honour of qualifying as a forrard - and, when investigated by Bob Fletch, volunteeering as "hooker". He was impressed. I didn't know why I did it but after seasons in that role I now understand fully the wisdom of Brian Moore, England's hooker and World Cup medalist. A certain website describes us as such "The hooker is a key team member; one of the spine of the team" As one whose spine is currently and too early in life experiencing recuperative strategies, I wish Bob had advised me earlier. Our form (you, Paul, and me and the rest)were set up against Melvyn Smith, Deldy Snowden and loads of other big buggars. I now know how Tony Underwood must have felt when he first tried to tackle Jonah Lomu. That sod, Clive Woodward, must have known what Bob Fletch and Gilbert knew when (you and I and 13 others) faced 1b in 1952. We had Dave Harrison in our form (team) but it took until Easter before we (he) scored a try.
Paul, I shared your grief then - as a contemporary sufferer - but I'm glad I persisted through various channels to enjoy rugby.

Arthur, my earliest school recollects were of Eastwood nursery. My mam wasn't a munitions worker but she got me into the Eastwood nursery at age 3. We did all sorts in the morning and then in the afternoon kipped down on wooden framed beds with sacking suspension. I rarely fell asleep but often did pretend snores to the annoyance of the staff. On one occasion, I came home from "school" when the playtime bell rang and couldn't understand why my mam wasn't there. Mrs Butterfield shepherded me back to school. Neighbours were family then. I always remember "messing" myself and being carried home in a blanket. And further, whilst sitting watching my mother (whom I have always (and still) adored), knitting, I grabbed her hair and pulled like mad. Of course, she forgave me.

Paul- I totally agree with your comment re Aussie Rules. A couple of weeks ago I was in a crowd of nearly 70,000 at the MCG to watch Geelong v Hawthorn.A great atmosphere.
One of my earliest memories, pre school, is going over the handlebars of my 3 wheel bike and splitting my head open.Another early memory is my dad taking me to a gym in Keighley where boxers were training and someone lifting me up to punch a bag. As I grew older and tried to find this place again, no one knew anything about it. Maybe Arthur can remember it? I always believed it to be around the back of the Cross area. High Street that is.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Noting Terry's remark re Braveheart technology, I see that Bill, Arthur and I set some kind of world records for length of study. Seems I was at KBGS from 52 to 63, with perhaps one year out; Bill hung around from 47 to 63 with time off presumably for bad behaviour, while Arthur smashed all existing records by enduring the place from 1945 to 1963 - 18 glorious years which must have made him around 29 when he finally escaped.

The game to which you refer, Bill, must have been a pale shadow of last year's Grand Final, when the mighty fighting Hawks swept the Pussycats aside.

You're right about Aussie Rules - it really is a spectacular and athletic game, combining the better elements of most other football variations. It is, of course, much older than the others, having established itself as a league before soccer or either rugby code.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) melbourne

My earliest ememory ever was being taken for aholiday to a boarding house in Redcar, I was probably 2 yrs old. It was run by a Mrs Bradley. I distinctly remember my mother (on arrival) 'saying ... and this is little Brian'
I interrupted with 'I dont like you!' and bust into tears.
My earliest memory at infant school (Holycroft) was being made to go to sleep for half an hour in the afternoon on a fold out bed - mine had a giraffe embroided on it. Oh and being given a horrible Cod Liver Oil capsule which I stamped on and crushed, and got a smack for when I did it a second time.
At Ingrow Juniors it was being taught to knit by Miss Law.
At KBGS it was the first lesson, Geography with DK Vincent Firman. He scared the living daylights out of all of us by tearing into Keith Sunderland with his booming voice because Keith (twice) failed to adderess him as 'Sir'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Terry, asking for early memories is relatively straightforward. It's last week that's the problem.
My earliest memory (no idea when it was) was standing on the bench in our back yard at Caister Grove, falling off, banging my head against the pebbledashed wall and having to have a pebble removed that had become embedded in my forehead. Probably explains a lot.
As for school I recall sitting on the wall with Dave Pamment at Ingrow Infants with my mum standing next to me and various others around, watching young kids trying to run away. According to my mum this was the first day at Infant school and some of the kids were not too happy about the prospect.
At kbgs I recall Joe sweeping in to our first French lesson. We all stood up as we had been told was required and he proceeded to conduct the whole lesson in direct method French. Impressive.
Humorous memories can wait until another meal at the Old Silent Inn.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Whilst at KBGS I was fortunate enough to astound many more athletic students by actually winning the Intermediate Victor Ludorum, at the School Sports Day 1954,

I felt especially sorry for Malcolm Hudson who was expected to take the title ( the rota of winners year to year. was fairly standard in those days) but 1 single standard point in the Mile was the margin by which I won.

I included a photograph of the trophy in the Now and Then section of the website

The trophy that was presented was quite spectacular (see photograph) and I was simply curious as to, if anyone is aware of what happened to the trophy on the move to Oakbank ??

Any ideas ??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50/55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

By gum, weren't we thin then, Derek? And I thought you were a reight big'un. But to the point, the concept of standard points for most athletic events encouraged lads of basic talent (not you, Derek) to take part in a wide range of sporting events. Correct me if I'm wrong - I think first in an event (even a new school record) brought only 3 points for your house. Three lads dragging in last in the mile could bring three standards for their house. The cross country was a jam pot for standards. I seem to recall that the standard was 29 minutes - for once round the Kly cricket field, down to the river bank, on towards Utley as far as the Kly golf club, up and over the river, the golf course and on to the canal and onwards to the Grange Estate, then down to the Stockbridge, on to the river bank and then up to the Kly Cricket Club - finishing just short of the pavilion. Enough lads in your house getting the standard could beat an accumulated tally of points earned by place winners. The sports at KBGS had a democratic/bottom up feel. I reckon (ie guess) the concept was that of headmaster T P Watson.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Your description of the Cross country race is accurate but short on detail. There were at least two places where you could stop for a quick drag at a woodbine. One was the culvert back from the golf club, the other Riddlesden Cricket Club pavilion.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1950

Current location (optional) Keighley