KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recipes

My wife, and subsequently her family, is Indian. Every so often I invite them all around for a proper Sunday roast, be it beef, lamb or pork, I always include Yorshire Pudding. When asked how it's made I always tell them that it is a closely guarded secret, etc, etc.

I use my father's recipe which is
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
teaspoon of salt
3 eggs
milk to bring it to consistency
Does anyone have any improvement on this?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) john.felvus@tafensw.edu.au

Current location (optional) Haworth via Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Recipes

Everybody has their own personal preference where the ingredients are concerned, John; but what is vital is the temperature of the fat(lard or in some cases beef dripping). It has to be HOT. If it has blue smoke rising from it it is the right temperature, provided it isn't on fire. Don't know if you can get beef dripping out in the colonies!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) ajax@gmx.co.uk

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Down under there's Kangajooce a plenty - they even fry their chips in it in Sidney - at the original ozzie fish shop.

Current location (optional) Lincoln

A little anecdote about Yorkshire pud..

When I first moved to Toronto Canada in 1959 I was somewhat of an oddity due to my accent..

I was often a dinner guest at the homes of my new found friends and for some strange reason the main menu was roast beef and Yorkshire pudding..

I remember the the awkward looks and interrogations as to "How's the Yorkshire pudding Arthur?"

I don't have to comment on the usual blunt honesty and straightforwardness to my fellow Yorkshire men on this board so let's put it this way.. My mother quickly became the darling of the 'new recipe' circle and in no time at all I could eat dinner at all my friends homes without being quizzed or disappointed in the 'Pudding'.... :)

Slightly tangential to the subject but only just;
I was in the Solomon Islands for 2 years with VSO and stayed at the home of one of my headteachers. His wife asked if I would like a pancake. I said I would. She mixed flour and water and fried it for me. I could, of course soled shoes with it.
I asked if I could show her a better way. Had she baking powder? Yes! Eggs? We could get some. So I mixed a correct batter and fried her a proper pancake. Crisp, brown and light. Eyes rolled and neighbours gathered. I fried more, and more, and more. More eggs were sent for. More neighbours gathered. The air was blue with smoke. The pan sizzled. Pancakes flew through the air. We had a special party.

Thank you, Mum, for a special day. Never could have done it without you.

Westfield opened a new shopping mall near us a couple of years ago, and in the foodhall there are the usual range of ethnic dishes. Of interest to me was the large sign advertising "Yorkshire Roasts" so naturally I wandered over to check it out. Yes there were Yorkshire puddings available. The whole operation is run by Chinese people. I have yet to try it out. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ