KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which has proved the most valuable.

It is very quiet so here is a question to mull over and respond to.
Given that we are, to one degree or another, advanced in years and capable of looking back in summation of our lives, what does each of us value the most, that which we learned at KBGS or the people we learned to know as they sat beside us, learning.
The site is well referred to and it is good to be in the company of old friends but look at your life much of which has been spent away from those friends and look at that with which we were equipped.......or not.

Re: Which has proved the most valuable.

Oddly enough, one (out of many) of my most valued things from KBGS was trigonometry - given that Beaky Birch made my life a living hell, I did come out of 1C knowing some of the properties of the right angled triangle. Another, was how to draw the profile of a piece of land by using the contours, courtesy of Vince. These both served me very well throughout my military career. To you non-military minded folk, one of the basic soldering skills is navigation/map reading.

Another is the sense of belonging I now feel after such a long time away and distance from the alma mater.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) john.felvus@tafensw.edu.au

Current location (optional) Haworth via Blue Mountains Australia

How to dodge a flying blackboard duster !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) itsonlysteve@hotmail.com

Current location (optional) keighley

Curly Wilbur Broomfield impressed me with the quote (?) Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. It kept me going in the face of seeming unconquerable difficulties and on the odd occasion I actually won through. Although I didn't realise it at the time, my more successful form mates probably were using this same strategy to better effect while I thought it was because they were cleverer.

Current location (optional) Lincoln