KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Religion at KBGS

Was KBGS CofE and did religion feature in school life in any way? My father was from a Methodist family, so not sure how that affected his school studies, if at all.

Re: Religion at KBGS

KBGS was non-denominational though assemblies did have a CoE feel to them as I recall and, as Brian Moate (I believe) testifies in another thread, some events were held at the "parish" church which was, at that time, CoE.
I have been told that Joe was a lay preacher (is this true?) and his Christian belief certainly came over very strongly in his RE teaching.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

In my time religious education or Scripure lessons as they were then called centered only on Christianity. No other religions were ever mentioned nor was the possibility that there might not be a God or that there might be many Gods.Such biggoted dogma has worried me ever since.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Joe once came to Lund Park Methodist Chapel to preach . He was a lay-preacher.My very recently dseceased father was the Vestry Steward on that occasion and I was made to shake his hand and exchange "pleasantries" with him.Frightened me to death on my home turf.My father had to even say a prayer with him before they left the vestry. I remember him fixing his eyes from the pulpit on all the K.B.G.S.boys present in the Chapel. His sermon was uninspiring but his presence "spooked"me. B.R.M. might bear me out on this one as he used to play the Organ at L P.

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Scratcher Marsden used to take me for RE which was basically bible reading. I recall one lesson when the word 'navel' came up in the text ( goodness knows in what context) and Scratcher asked if anyone knew what the word meant. A hand went up. Yes? It's to do with the navy, Sir. Pause. Come out here boy. Scratcher took the boy into one corner pulled his own shirt up and poked his belly button. That's your navel boy!!
Now that's what I call teaching!!
As a matter of interest it is interesting to note how little today's generation know about religion or religions.
Arthur

I have no clear recollection of receiving religious education at KBGS. I rather fancy I was instructed along these lines by somebody - perhaps Ikky Paterson - but don't remember the content. Was it just Christianity? And did we have prayers - were we expected to take part in the whole thing on an assumption that we were all Christians? Was it compulsory? And what is the situation in the UK now?

Current location (optional) melbourne

Firstly just going back to John Ackroyds post (which I must have missed) I was indeed the organist on that occasion. Since the organ seat was right behind the pulpit, He was only a couple of yards from me in the whole service ! Joe was a CofE lay reader at the time but was later ordained to be Rev. A E Watthey. It was quite unusual for a CofE man to preach in a Methodist chapel at the time. It must have been 1963 or 1964.

We certainly had R.E. lessons in the first three years or so. G.E.(Snakey) Emery, like Joe also later ordained, took my form for two of them. I once came bottom in the exams with 16% despite being a regular church goer, Sunday School teacher and organist.
Snakey was not a well man and was always popping pills. I believe he died quite young.
He was also the one master who seemed to get some sort of perverse delight in using his plimsoll on our rear ends.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 48-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

In response to Paul (via Chris) - yes, it was compulsory. Releigious Education and an act of worship were the only compulsory aspects of education during kbgs days - that is to say they had legal force. Many things were compulsory to the extent that they were the requirements of the school and failure to comply would result in not being allowed to attend.
Today's situation is very different. Most subjects are now under a legal framework which requires that they are taught, at least to certain year groups.
Releigius education is still compulsory between the ages of 5 and 16 and every local authority must have an agreed syllabus for RE that all its' schools must adhere to.
The requirement for an act of worship has changes somewhat. Schools are now required to provide a daily act of collective worship. Note the word "collective" as opposed to "corporate" - in other words pupils (and staff) who attend must not be REQUIRED to, for example, join in with the chanting of a prayer or singing a hymn. Assemblies must be "of a broadly Christian character" but may also reflect aspects of other faiths.
For both the act of collective worship and religious education parents may withdraw their children from one, or both, of these activities. Pupils of secondary school age may withdraw themselves from these activities. Schools must make appropriate alternative provision for any pupils who are withdrawn.
It's a recipe for chaos. If it was up to me schools would not be allowed to provide for an act of worship and religious education would become a part of a wider study of philosophy.

Current location (optional) leeds

We sang hymns at some if not every assembly; the only way I know this is I vividly recall Gilbert Swift extending the line. "I'll fear not what men say", in "To be a pilgrim", in what I believe is called descant. The two extended notes went downwards.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Briggus

Nobody's yet mentioned those big thick bibles we were all issued with on arrival at the school. One time we had a teacher - I think he must've been a supply teacher (either that or he was sacked for extreme brutality after a short period) - anyway, this guy would come up behind you if you were misbehaving and and say things like:"Shut up Jones, or I'll bat thi lugs"; lug batting occurred when he took two of these massive bibles, one in either hand, and brought them together at great velocity to make a bible sandwich of your head. To him I attribute my encroaching deafness, as well as my inability to keep a straight face most of the time....

My initiation (in 1C) to religious education at KGS was performed by no less a personage than Frank Wellock which, to my mind, clearly reflects the importance placed upon it in the 1950s Grammar School curriculum.

Digressing from the thread somewhat, Shaun's summary of the current tortuous legislation provides an excellent example of how formulation of English laws seeks only to create opportunities for the legal profession.

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

I still have that school bible, blue with a Keighley crest on it, it is rather battered and well - used ! I expect some of you have them in pristine condition !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 48-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I still have "a" copy of the same - but the label inside is inscribed with the name of a friend.

So much for my honouring the 8th Commandment.

Which of the other 9 have posters broken? - Chapter and Verse, please.

I guess 10 was broken by most after 1979 and especially later after the "Big Bang".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Is God willing to prevent evil,but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able,but not willing? Thenhe is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence commeth evil? Is he neither willing nor able? The why call him God? Epicurus 341-270BC Discuss.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Know then thyself, presume not God to scan,
The proper study of mankind is man. Alexander Pope.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse