KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Snow

Apologies if we have strayed into this topic earlier (Allan's "winter of '62" wxcepted) but the cheery, white scene outside suggests the question - Do you have any memories of the effects of snow at KBGS?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Re: Snow

Relating to the Mechanics site, if timetabled for games on a snowy day, Gilbert would lead an expedition to the Tarn. If the pitches were frozen hard, the same procedure. The hardy ones (me not included)would walk or slide on the frozen Tarn. One John Topham went through the ice and with each successive attempt to stride out, he cracked still more of the frozen surface. He reached the side wet to the crutch. When Gilbert learnt he lived in Steeton, he sent him off running over the tops back home. John claimed his trousers had frozen stiff by the time he was home.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Strangely, especially considering the daily distance travelled to KBGS, I have no recollection of snow problems during those years.(Strange that they didn't occur, not my failing to remember them if they did!) The few preceding years (mid-50s) are a different story altogether, though.
My seven years travelling to KBGS and Oakbank were marked by a lack of any significant transport disruption - perhaps lighter traffic in those days more than compensated for the heavier falls we encountered.
We certainly had none of today's zeal for school closures as soon as the first millimetre settled - and this in an age and location where almost all kids live within a mile of their school.

For me the old school was always a snowy day. Cronshaw, Basher Braithwaite, Vincent Firman and Watthey. Bunch of psychopaths.

Interesting to read Brian's recollections.
In my memory there were a few (5 or 6) times that the snow stopped the buses running and we had to walk into town through either deep snow or a blizzard. The staff were almost all there and I can't recall the school ever being closed - but, memory being what it is these days, I can't vouch that it never happened.
I suspect that the principal reason we have closures now is the motor car. I reckon most of the staff of KBGS in the '50s and '60s lived within walking distance of school (at a push); indeed most workers lived close to work then. Nowadays it's common for people in almost all walks of life to make long car journeys to work. Snow in the Pennines causes schools and businesses to close in Leeds!
I do recall staff trying to ban one of our few entertainments during the winter - playground slides.

Yes, I remember snow at KBGS and having to walk from Steeton with 6/8ft drifts. The snow eventually became compacte with the roads then skating rinks. The compacted snow was broken up by the old farm tractors with spiked steel wheels at the back. I think this was'47. Slides in the yard were not banned in those days (no Health & Safety) and some of the snowballs even had stones inside. Tough life in those days !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '43 / '48

Current location (optional) Steeton, now West Wales

Were you in the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch in Monty Python, John?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

No. Monty Python has faded for me. Looks very dated and shallow now. The Likely Lads and Rising Damp seem more fun even now. This actor Alan Armstrong that appears in numerous current BBC Dickens serials, is he still living in Addingham? Or is that long ago. Cue for IW or BW.

I wasn't aware that Alun Armstrong lived in 'dingham. I'll jolly well find out though. As an aside, does anyone know why locals refer to Addingham as "Sin City"? I do!

Don't know much about Addingham but I did know Alun Armstrong. We lived next door to each other in Sheffield and I saw him regularly for a drink for a few years. Last I heard he was more or less itinerant but spent much of his time in London. If he really does live in Addingham please let me know where and I'll pop in and give him the shock of his life.

My only reference to this marvellous Yorkshire actor is that he used to be propping up the bar at The Fleece in Addingham on a regular basis. It was a few years ago I admit when the folk club was in full swing. If he lived in Ilkley he would no doubt have been a regular at that other popular real ale house The Taps (Ilkley Moor Hotel). I supect he is a very rich actor now. Certainly on a par with Sheffield's other finest Sean Bean. Ironically my first recollection of the amusing Armstrong was when he played the local pub hard case in a likley Lads episode and gets walloped by Terry (James Bolam)!

Are there two Alun Armstrongs. My friend Alun was in the film "Get Carter" with Michael Caine etc. and has more recently been in a TV series with other old actors (retired police go investigating etc.) Alun is a Geordie to the core but would be delighted if his acting was to convince people that he is a Yorkshireman.

The Alun Armstrongs of which John and Shaun speak are one and the same.

I don't think that anybody has suggested that Alun Armstrong is a Yorkshireman. But he appears to have lived or spent time in Sheffield and Addingham. But of course Rodney Bewes who played a Geordie in the Likely Lads was from nearby Bingley/Crossflats.