KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who lived nearest to school?

A trifle whimsical but I would proffer the names of late Mark Henderson and the art teacher and mod Malcolm Berry. I would guess that both lived less than 100 yards from the playground in the early sixties.

Re: Who lived nearest to school?

Well, it sure wasn't me!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

I would have nominated David Collen (1952-1959) who lived in Adelaide Street. I can't remember if he was ever late!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

My brother David and I lived in Bradford Street, same street as you Terry but nearer.
There was a boy in my class who came all the way from Hellifield which has to be the furthest surely. He used to leave early to catch his train and get sent home at lunch if it snowed like it has the last few days. Arthur

If we were to include Schoolmasters in this thread.
Mr Brown (I think he taught Latin, but I stand to be corrected) lived in the first house adjacent to the (then) Albert Street Baptist Church -Sunday School building (opposite the old swimming baths entrance).
This must be approx 120 yards (in old money !!) from school

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50-55

Current location (optional) Keighley

Brown did indeed teach Latin. He was known as "Rubber Neck" because he had a curious tick whereby he would stretch his neck but at the same time turn his head, either to the right or the left, a bit like a tortoise. Another teacher who must have been a close neighbour of Brown's was Francis ('Charlie') Peach who lived, if memory serves me still, on the cross street above the baths between Albert Street and (would it be?) Devonshire Street, and if so would have been a contender for second nearest to School.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Going across this thread , "Rubber Neck" gave me ( and the rest of my 2a ) a superb introduction and initiation into basic Latin grammar which later Joe Eden (and in my case Bill Bloomfield)turned into examination achievement. I have a soft spot for what he did for me. My other recollection of Mr Brown is that in 1952-3 he was form teacher of 5C (59 cardboard corridor) which had some hardcases. As a form member of 1a (Room 60 1952-53) I recall a dustbin lid being ejaculated through a window in the Cardboard Corridor and in a Staff v 7 a side game at Stoneycroft, Mr Brown attempting to tackle one of his form (Foz Fothergill?) and got a hand-off "chop" in the eye which he sported in school assembly next morning. They bred 'em tough in the '50s.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

That wasn't Laurie Brown's first black eye. When he was my form master in '48, a lad Ginger Midgely sat in the front row and Rubberneck's favourite spot was right over him. He had a habit of spitting as he spoke and Ginger one day had enough and asked Mr Brown to stop spitting over him.Brownie took exception to this and the end result was Ginger jumped up and thumped Brownie, resulting in a decent black eye. From memory Ginger was suspended for a while but he returned to school and eventually made a good career in the police.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Terry, I hope that the dustbin lid was being ejected through the window.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

This is in no way relevant to the thread but the mention of 'rubber-neck' reminds me of a child I had in one of my classes. If I caught him talking in assembly and I was sated behind him I would hiss his name. Without moving his shoulders he would turn his head through 180 degrees, I swear, and look at me. It used to render me speechless. Arthur

What with 'ejaculated' dustbin lids, and being 'sated' behind a child at school - one wonders about the extraordinary activities of KBGSers!!

It just shows, Trevor, that there's life in the Old Boys yet!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

I think it's probably just fond memories.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

If I may resurrect this old thread, I would suggest
that Philip Milburn probably lived closer to the
school than anybody else in my time.
I was not very far away (26 Cavendish Street, above my
father's cycle shop)but Philip was much nearer on Drill Street.
I make that less than 200 yards from the Lord Street entrance.
His family had the newsagent's shop on the corner of Cavendish
Street and Lawkholme Lane.
Philip and I have since moved great distances - we both live
in Haworth but he's still closer to the site of the school than me!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-64

Current location (optional) Haworth

If you look at the left-hand end of the 1964 panorama at Oakbank, a sombre detached house is visible. This, I remember my grandfather telling me, was the home of Headmaster TP Watson (1903-1930)!

Thanks for the interjection IW. I was really referring to the old school in town. I presume newcomers from the Asian sub-continent occupy the streets adjacent to the old Essoldo cinema and the Conservative Club. There was a nice baker down there too who used to supply scrumptious pork pies and cornish pasties for the school dinner escapologists.

This is my first return to this posting since 2009. The terms I chose then in my posting were in (implied) recognition of the teaching of Mr Brown and its influence on my vocabulary. The origin of the word 'ejaculate' is from the Latin verb 'ejaculari' meaning to 'throw or shoot out'- usually of a javelin from a besieged position. Applying the term to a dustbin lid thrown out and through a window on the cardboard corridor unintentionally gave to the act of a 5C vandal an heroic veneer.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60