KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Hague, Eric Pickles

William Hague of Doncaster has been annointed by David Cameron as deputy leader of the Tories. George Osborne effectively told to lurk around in the shadows. Eric Pickles of Keighley appointed chairman. Shades of Blair and John Prescott. Appoint non-rivals to quasi-important postions and neutralise the threats to leadership. Worked for a while with Gordon Brown.

Re: William Hague, Eric Pickles

Who are you,then?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Gervaise Phinn tells a story of when William Hague was first elected to parliament. He rang a constituency activist on finding out the result, only to be told he had dialled the wrong number. "Isn't that a Hawes number?" he asked, only to be told "Young man, there are no ladies like that here."

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Yes Hague is a prat. But so is Pickles. And Eric is a bit gay too.

In the absence of any argument or reason for asserting that William Hague is a prat, I would argue that he is a very good example of a principled, self-made, independent minded Yorkshireman . He rose by his own efforts, through the Grammar School system to lead one of the oldest political parties in the world. He lead them into an election, with a stance against what was then and has turned out to be even more so, the most important political issue since the war, Europe and the common currency. When he lost, he resigned on principle and now he refuses to support the move to make M.P,s give up their outside interests on the grounds that they would become even more detached from the real world and even less able to understand what they were legislating for.
Acting on his convictions may mitigate against him being a good politician ,but that and his undoubted skills as an orator and debater, make him an excellent Member of Parliament, putting the country´s interests before his political ambitions..
Independent, plain speaking, self-made ,principled people who can argue their corner are what Yorkshiremen ( and Cornishmen?) were noted for, and he ( and a predecessor from the second largest county) deserve our respect on that score, whether or not we agree their political beliefs.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) Isle of Man

Actually he went to a comprehensive in Wath-on Dearne.

I think Mr Hague's stance against MPs giving up their outside interests may have something to do with the excessively large fees he undeservedly commands for light speaking duties.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I believe he also had a spell at Ripon Grammar School (part boarding at the time) , but absconded from there. But I admit I quite like the fellow as a politician.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral UK

What I like most about Hague is how easy he made it for the Tories to lose the 2001 election.

Must say I preferred Wilfred Pickles.

Current location (optional) leeds

I believe Eric Pickles is related to the late Wilfred Pickles, who was of course from Halifax. But so is Brian Rix.

I thought Brian Rix was related to Ian Carmichael.

Quite right, IW, and Rix, if not Carmichael, is from Hull.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

I believe Rix and Carmichael were cousins. They were interviewed together in the '80s on a late night YTV programme by the late and much lamented Richard Whiteley. Whiteley, after the memorable ferret incident, was fair game as the but of anyone's jokes. Ian and Brian readily discussed their childhood in Hull, their family relationship and the Humberside enterprises of their parents. Dropping his guard for a moment, Whiteley asked "You both talk posh. Have you always talked like this?" "No" said Carmichael. "Well. How did you talk?" blundered Whiteley. Quick as a flash "Like you" said Carmichael. The live audience erupted in good-humoured laughter at Whiteley's expense.

Current location (optional) Lincoln

A bit esoteric this but I remember Wilfred Pickles saying on his radio show that living in London was hell because his neighbours never talked to him. Anyway the contestant on his show retorted but have you tried talking to them Wilfred. Silence from Pickles.

The said "Eric Pickles has insured his bathroom scales for £10,000" if you have the mishap to catch "The Unbelievable Truth", BBC Wireless Four.
Celebrity at last for the Old School !

Current location (optional) Nirvana

I believe that includes the bathroom floor/ kitchen ceiling.