KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eric Pickles

I see that Eric Pickles has been promoted to Tory Party Secretary in the latest reshuffle.
Was he an old boy of KBGS ? I believe he was from Haworth.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Eric Pickles

A thoroughly unlikeable man who would be just as unlikeable whatever party he belonged to.Arthur

http://www.ericpickles.com/biog.php

"Eric was born in 1952. He was educated at Greenhead Grammar School, Keighley, and Leeds Polytechnic. "

what/where is Greenhead Grammar School?

Chris, Greenhead Grammar School is the modern name for the old Keighley Girls' Grammar School, sited at Greenhead Lane, off Skipton Road, Utley. Just a stone's throw from where we hold the KBGS BIENNIAL REUNIONS, AND AS IT HAPPENS THERE IS TO BE ONE THIS YEAR, ON 11 SEPTEMBER - A CAREFULLY CHOSEN DATE.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Don't know the man, but a friend of mine, a contemporary at Greenhead, describes him as a "fat oaf".
Incidentally, I wonder what, as a Tory, his views on Comprehensive education are, as a man of his age at Greenhead would have been in the first intake of males at the school after it went comprehensive in 1966. In other words, an 11 plus failure.

Eric Pickles, Yuk! - thoroughly odious, even without his party allegiance.
He was, for a time, leader of Bradford City Council, "leading" it almost into bankruptcy. It's gratifying to learn he attended a girls' school though.
An excellent candidate for the next London Mayor!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

If Pickles was born in 1952 then he must have started grammar school in '63 or '64. Presumably KGGS had been re-named Greenhead GS by then. But if this school went comprehensive in 1966 Pickles would have only done 2 or 3 years at the school. I'll have to summon up my courage and visit his website to find out if he then moved to a different grammar school or stayed when it became a comp.

Current location (optional) leeds

No, Sean - there were no boys admitted to KGGS until it went comprehensive, and changed its name to Greenhead. If Pickles had passed his 11 plus (in 1963), he would have gone to KBGS in Sept 1963. Prior to Greenhead, he may have gone to the Tech. He therefore didn't pass his 11 plus, and is not one of us creme de la creme. However, the comprehensive system did give him a second chance, and has helped him reach the lofty heights he occupies today, to the benefit of all mankind.

IW

AND ERIC PICKLES !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50-55

Current location (optional) Keighley

I started this thread because of my very low opinion of him also, but I just thought I would see what else you would all say. I agree he could not have gone to Greenhead (KGGS) in 1963 it was still all girls then.
The two grammar schools didnt become co-ed for a few years after that.

Out of interest, in today's Keighley News, Greenhead High School has been ranked among the worst 200 in the country in this year's national GCSE tables.
Head teacher Tricia McCarthy hit back at the ranking saying;'The level of ability which some of the children have when they start with us compared to when they end up, is a massive move forward. The bold headlines do not tell the whole story and the progress our students make is tremendous.'
On the front page of KN the leader of Bradford Council launched 'an astonishing attack' on the parents of Greenhead students for failing to support their children, saying;'-if you genuinely care for the health and prosperity of your children, make sure that they speak English when they reach school and get involved with their education.'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

The same Tricia McCarthy complained about the stress her staff was put under by the government which explained why there was such a high sickness( absenteeism)rates in her staff. It is a hell hole. You can stand and watch after registration the kids leave by fire doors and drift down through Cliff Castle, the Cemetary, back gardens- all for a smoke and twagging off generally.

My brother,who went to Eastwood Secondary,was a contemporary of his and my Mother<85yrs old > knew his family well. I think his father worked on the Rly. and at one time the family lived in a Rly owned house in Guard House.This is fact not fiction !
I ,also know he won prestigious! book prizes at presentions my parents attended.

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

I wonder if, unlike myself, Tricia McCarthy has never been subjected to that educational performance indicator labelled "Value Added".
Applied to Greenhead, it would substantiate any valid claims about the benefits accrued by pupils fortunate enough to attend that establishment.
From what I'm reading here though, Greenhead comes across more like Waterloo Road!

Didn't he find the Jules Rimet Coupe du Monde after it had been stolen from Westminster Central Hall in 1966?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Brian! You got it in one.

The "Saturday Profile" in todays' "Independent" is a two page spread on one Eric Pickles.It is available on the internet for those interested. It does,however,describe him as Party Chairman. From his photograph I can understand where "fat oaf" comes from!

One paragraph is most enlightening...."Pickles,having gained control of the Conservatives' only inner-city council,set about an unprecedented round of cuts,sell-offs,price rises and job losses. At the first meeting,£5.8m was cut from the budget,chiefly in education. Council rents went up. So did charges for leasure centres,car parks,school meals,home helps,meals on wheels,OAP luncheon clubs and cemeteries. Teachers,caretakers,maintenance workers,creche and nursery staff,social workers and council officers all lost their jobs. Old peoples homes and Benefit Advice Centres closed"

What a nice man.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

But does he have the ear of Dave Cameron and George Osborne? If he does, will he sway them to his Bradford Met track record as a model to be emulated by the Conservatives if they win win the next election? Does anyone remember Selwyn Lloyd (alias 'Hoylake UDC')? These local magnates carry heavy baggage when they get up in the premiership.

Pickles would need a two page spread. Arthur

I see that "our Eric" is jetting off to Majorca to try and persuade ex-pats to register to vote for parliamentary candidates in Britain. Though why people who choose to live elsewhere should have the right to vote for the people who have power over those who remained behind defies logic.

My son's girlfriend's mum moved to Mallorca to get away from people like Eric Pickles. He'll get pretty short shrift if he knocks on her door.

The concept of ex-pat votes is entirely alien to the concept of parliamentary democracy. If a would-be voter wishes to exercise his franchise in an election, he should get off his rrrsss and live in his constituency and experience the consequences of his decision.Else (s)he's a hypocrite.
If it is issues of pension and other such rights that they wish to influence, they ought at point of departure from these shores to have concluded their rights and been ready to accept the vagaries of the ensuing (unforeseen) markets and accept that Lord Sir Fred Goodwin is their saviour. My simple view is "tuff tit" to Pickles and his mission.The falling Pound against the Euro may tax his mathematical incompetence if he's ex-kbgs(greenhead).

Current location (optional) Lincoln (now)

No need to worry IW - he won't be able to get through it!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 -66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Being an ex-pat. I'm not familiar with Eric - he's not a popular lad is he?

Understatement of the year so far, Trevor!

Not really a posting under this head but vaguely political. When I posted a reply under "The Mechanics Institute fire" I had to type in BNP in order to post. I did this with some reluctance.
A vain request - but could our Webmaster (much appreciated) ensure that combinations of letters and acronyms which could prove to be inimical to posters and postees alike are not required.
Examples would be "ABAB" - inimical to the innumerate - viz: Arnold Birch and Albert Braithwaite

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

I think we should make it clear that "our Eric" has no opinions in common with the BNP.

Allegedly.

Re-reading the extract from the Independent,Jan 25th,he sounds just the man to tackle public expenditure when the Conservatives win the next election.

I didn't know that Pickles wrote under the nom-de-plume "Peter Nichols".

Nice try, Eric.

If you colonial jonnies wish to know more about our (formerly your) Eric, latch on to the following url - and get a glimpse of himself. (Who ate the pies??)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/question_time/7960167.stm#pickles

If you are astute enough to engage the BBC i-player, you might just catch excerpts of our Eric charming the nation - he claimed to have a touch of the Mills and Boon in his soul. His constituents might disagree.

Dinners at Greenhead must have been better than in the old Mechanics.

What made Milwaukee famous - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7973346.stm
Good old Eric???? Mmmmm.

Current location (optional) leeds

I e-mailed master Pickles through his web sight a fortnight ago asking if he had passed his 11-plus.He replied ,in 24 hours ,that he hadn't and had had a comprehensive education and was "proud of it".(Which about sums him up).I replied by return pointing out this page to him thinking he should have the 'right of reply'. I'm still waiting.

According to the BBC, the Chairman of the Conservative Party held a reception in the Palace of Westminster. Some journalists had a set too in the corridor outside and the police used CS gas to break it up.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Any self-respecting Keighley lad would have sorted out the miscreants himself, without resorting to the police and chemical warfare.

Isn't CS gas a Weapon of Mass Destruction?

Not that us 'colonial johnnies' know anything!!

Was that 'set-to' on April 1st ????

Re: Re: Eric Pickles

As MP for Brentwood and Ongar, he has a short commute from Westminster. Does he have a home in Westminster? A residual domiciliary in his native Bradford Met? A constituency residence? If not, he has a lot to learn.

Re: Re: Re: Eric Pickles

To get this latest "pickle" accepted by the new regime which now dominates this site I had to input "PRUT" - is that not a sign that the Old Regime still rules, OK?

"Cheer up, boy. There's time yet" N. Hind

Re: Re: Re: Eric Pickles

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) ajax@gmx.co.uk

Yes, Terry, he does have a flat at our expense. And the good people of Newcastle gave him an immense amount of grief over it on Question Time, and Mr Dimbleby was poking gentle fun at him, saying that being an MP was "almost like having a job". He didn't take it at all well

A bvery brief excerpt of this programme does appear on 'youtube' for any one who might have missed it.

I wonder how he will feature in the latest MP EXPENSES INVESTIGATION ??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/55

I feel certain that Pickles will have been milking the system for all he can along with 90% of the rest of the "honourable" members. Which begs the question; if our head of state cannot or will not rid us of this discredited parliament, what is the point of having her?

As assistance to the topic 2 addresses to input and enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKMTKXvmvd8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94JgL0jmX0w&feature=related

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Should we advise this bloke that he is receiving enormous and not totally flattering global attention through the KBGS website? Maybe see what he has to say if he executes his right of reply? Or am I just being a little devil?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-7

Current location (optional) melbourne

See my posting of the first of April,Paul.

I'm still waiting for a reply

Alec Jackson and Derick Newiss both thought that the Chairman of the Conservative Party, the Hon. Member for Brentwood and Ongar, Eric Pickles would have been milking the system. It would appear from the Daily Telegraph that he has not, unlike the majority of our MP's, been making excessive expense claims. Eric 'Claimed mortgage interest of less than £250 a month and a service charge of £750 a year for a flat in east London. One of the lower claimers. Stopped using the additional costs allowance to run a second home when made Party Chairman'.

We are not related!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Denis,

Please refer to my last posting on this subject and listen to his own admission that he couldn't travel the 37 miles to his home address !!??!!

He hasn't a clue as to how the mere mortals live and work

Pity he hasn't got a proper job and working life, n'est-ce pas??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/55

Current location (optional) local

Have a look at my posting of the 25th of January,Denis, and you'll see what a spiffing chap the Hon. Member is.

He was on the Telly again tonight - he does his cause or our school no good.

Well that's all right, because he never darkened the doors of KBGS. He wasn't up to it, academically.

"The Pickles Papers" by Tony Grogan make interesting reading on www.1in12events.co.uk./archive.../pickles/pickles.htm

He might not do his cause or our school any good Terry, but he can make me smile. Did you see the piece in yesterdays Telegraph?
'The beautiful friendship between the M&S boss Sir Stuart Rose and the Tories was put under some strain yesterday by Eric Pickles. The Tory Chairman announced on his Twitter page that he always gets his shirts from the high street retailer. Only he missed out the letter 'r' in the word shirts, which hardly made for the kind of ringing endorsememt Sir Stuart would have welcomed. 'I claim mis-tweet of the day,' said Pickles, after hurriedly taking down the offending post. The 'r' is always important in 'shirts.'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

We used to say it takes one to know one!!!!!!

A few more people the size of Eric, and Keighley might still have a textile industry

Whilst my politics have generally moved to the right in the last few years, I really cannot bring myself to vote conservative whilst that fellow is the party chairman.

Can't understand why there are so many 'posts' about 'fatty Pickles' when he NEVER attended KBGS!

He should be deleted - from everywhre!

The same comment applies to 'Campbell'!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Eric Pickles`s mother was known as Connie Smith--naturally blond plus a good complexion . In other words a stunner!
My very elderly mother Fire - Watched at Waddington`s Card Factory-- STOCKBRIDGE. They were wage secretaries during W.W.2.
The Pickles family were Christian Scientists!Members of his family worked at Grove Mills .So Eric knows good cloth when he see`s it!.
"Never mind the width what about the quality?>
For those who no longer know KLY nearly all Grove Mills has been demolished courtesy of Skipton Properties!
My mother wonders what his mom would think of her darling little boy now?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Is nowhere sacred?

Is this "maiden" a harbinger of the unqualified, uninvited future intrusion by proponents of the Big Society into where they have no passport and therefore are unwelcome?

Is this the Big Society? Or Big Brother? Open government?

Come clean, Kate. You do your cause little good.

During the time it took me to post mine above, Earnshaw's posting was altered.
Is this Pickles' spin?

Now they have gone altogether.

What is she playing at? Clearly using the "59 minute" rule.

Can anyone furnish us with the gist of what was said?
I don't know. I nip out for an early doors pint, and all sorts of skullduggery has taken place.

Eric Pickles is not part of the current Con/Lib negotiating team. But william Hague is.

A message -purporting to be from Catherine Earnshaw of Thrushcross Grange - appeared. Simply it said that when you point the finger, three fingers are pointing at you. Also some quip about eagles soaring and sparrows. It seemed like a gloating intervention by a non-kbgs poster who was making capital for EP,( consequent upon the General Election "result"?)
I posted a reaction - only to find Catherine Earnshaw had changed her first posting. By the time I had registered a reaction - both Earnshaw postings had gone.
Wuthering Heights? Blithering cheek!

Catherine Earnshaw was the name of the "heroine" in Wuthering Heights - somebody were 'avin' thee on Heathcliffe.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

In Thursday's 'Times',showing a list of new cabinet ministers, a 'little known fact' concerning Eric was that 'as a teenage Red, he was given Leon Trotsky's 'History of the Russian Revolution' as a present for his 14th birthday!! How did it all go wrong, Eric?? Perhaps the Local Government Ministry position with a salary of £137,294(less the 5% reduction)- might give us a clue.
Looking back at the Election and the TV coverage on Parliament Green, wouldn't it have been interesting to see both Eric Pickles and Alistair Campbell together, a couple of 'likely lads from Keighley, being interviewed by someone like Dimbleby, eh? That might have been worth watching!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Must agree with Dave Baldwin.
Can't Pickles be liquidated ... from the website, that is.

I agree Shaun, who cares? Even if his name is Pickles!!!!

For all you Eric Pickles fans, have a look at Keighley News online today. Just having my weekly catch up and the item about HIPS being canned caught my eye. The video runs a minute or so and up pops Eric Pickles, my first look at the man.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

The Wikipedia article now says Pickles attended Greenhead School in brackets "state comprehensive".Just to give him street cred I suppose. What is clear in all this is that the great EP never ever attended Keighley Boys' Grammar School. More to the point before he became a full-time politician does anyone know what he did for a living?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

I read a very recent newspaper column (possibly in the Bradford T&A) in which Eric was alleged to have attended "Greenhead Grammar School" - journalistic licence I assume as, during Eric's schooldays, Greenhead would have been an exclusively girls' school, wouldn't it?
After trumpeting his ministerial appointment, the article went on to describe Eric's metamorphosis from
active membership of an ardent Labour supporting family into the lovable character we recognise today. There may have been a reference to his past employment Tom, but I'm unsure, having "mislaid" the article.

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

Eric was one of the age such that he was one of the first intake of boys at Greenhead, in the same way that girls started at Oakbank. He went to the Tech first. He is a bit younger than us Brian.

Were the two mixed-gender "grammar" schools still selective or not at that time? My recollection of Keighley's secondary education system since 1965, when I left Oakbank, is vague to say the least.
Seeing Eric today, and having being made aware of our relative ages, makes me feel considerably better anyway Brian!

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

If you have been listening to BBC Wireless 4 this week, you will have enjoyed wall-to-wall Pickles. His latest appearance is on "Question Time" (radio) tonight. He is fast becoming an amusing wit - approved by the audience - although he did say on "Today" that the interpretation of another speaker about "garden grabbing" was "bloody stu..... oh I nearly sweared then", Nice one Eric, you've nearly succeeded to the Prescott crown already.I have noted that he has slowed down his delivery and deepened his tones - a la Thatcher. More fun to come.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00sss54

The subject of this week's Radio 4 Profile is Eric Pickles.

A rather extensive profile?

Eric Pickles, former cabinet minister for local government, has a new job working for a Yorkshire offal tycoon whose animal by-products business has been repeatedly fined for safety and environmental breaches.
Brentwood MP Pickles is earning £40,000 a year on top of his MP's salary to sit on the board of Halifax-based Leo Group, according to the latest register of MP's interests.The group has a history of spills,accidents and safety breaches, on one occasion being fined £300,000 plus £150,000 costs.
An ex-government minister and current MP might be useful to Leo's board as ity deals with these regulations and licensing matters, but what Pickles' constituents get from him working for the offal firm is less obvious.

Time to change the nomen-clutter.
No longer EPMP, he is Sir Eric Pickles (SERPS - Thank the Lord for Barbara Castle, we old boys cry)
And clutching a new Excalibur, thither chucked by David Cameron, he becomes the "government's designated anti-corruption champion".
You don't get qualifications like that at KBGS.

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Honours exist to massage the egos of those insecure enough to need them, and to create an impression that they are more important than those who genuinely care.