KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School plays

Can anyone recall the performance of "Murder in the Cathederal"done in the Parish Church and the mad women protester outside ?
One of the cast was Steve Trippet ,we shared a flat during our student days ,where is he now ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Gilsland Cumbria

Re: School plays

I'm sure it was a Steve Trippet who was in a play with me at Keighley Little Theatre, the play being Life with Father. I have a photograph of Arthur Cockerill (a KBGS Master) who played the part of a priest in the same play - I'll send it in to Chris for inclusion in the appropriate section.

Indeed I remember 'Murder in the Cathedral' very well.
Three of the main parts were taken by Alan Brooke, Kevin Hawkins, and Colin Kirkham. Must have been a few others I cant recall. It was produced by 'Cruddy' Crouch.
I was just in the monks' chorus, sitting through most of it in the choir stalls, and intoning some plainchant from time to time, marshalled by B.V. Paynes. (We had a chess set secreted in there for when we were inactive!)

The photo of Arthur Cockerill can be seen under the Faculty heading, sub-heading Individual photos.

Thanks Chris

I remember a performance of the Last of the INcas. Each time the sentry passed the doorway, a cheer was raised

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Haworth now Blue Mountains in Australia

I was one of the Incas. Every time we had to bow to the 'chief' with a 'whoooo' - the whole KBGS audience responded with an even louder 'WHOOOO' - it was hilarious.

Some of you will remember 'Pirates of Penzance' done with KGGS. Alan Brooke took the lead as 'Frederick', against Evelyn Whitakers 'Mabel'. But the star of the shoe was Kevin Hawkins as 'Major General Stanley'.
I fancy this was 1962 (my GCE year), as I didnt take part and would normally have expected to be a pirate or a policeman, whose lot was not a 'nappy' one. Pity as rehearsal would have needed a lot of interaction with the girls, though I did subsequently get a date with Evelyn in 1964 after we took music ATCL diplomas together.

Trevor - I think the play you refer to was before Steve's time But his father was also a leading light in local amateur dramatics so it may have been him .
Steve and I also shared a flat with Graham Luccock anyone know where he is now?
Graham was intending to work in a library and I think Steve ended up working for the Gas Board

Thanks David,
it was a 'father & son' performance, the elder Trippet playing the part of 'Father' which tends to convince me that it could have been Steve Trippet playing one of the other sons.
As this is drifting away from a specific KBGS thread I could send you a photograph of both Trippets (in costume) to see if you recognise them. I'd need your email address of course.

Trevor -thanks for your reply
You can contact me at:_
david.smales@cumbrian.co.uk