KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: chemistry

Malcolm.
Stephen Mitchell is still in Keighley and I see him regularly. He was at the reunion at the Lord Rodney before Christmas, The next time I see him I'll tell him to contact you through KBGS.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Head of Chemistry at 1961 was Leonard M. (Stoker) Stockdale. Frank W Trenouth(Benn Trenn) also taught Chemistry.
Head of Physics was Sam. L Riley (Smiler), also there was also Mike Jackson and Eddie (Current) Riley, not related to Sam.

... plus Hemmingway (Chemistry).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Was the the name of the small chap who was the chemi lab assistant and lived between the 2 labs Johnson?I remember speaking to him when in the first form and refering quite innocently to Stockdale as "Mr Stoker".He was quite amused but warned against repeating it in future.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Hemmingway was a teacher. Joined the school in '58 or '59 I believe. Ran the astronomy club (q.v.)

Yes indeed the Chemistry lab assistant was a small rotund chap called Johnson. I can see him now in my minds eye.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Brian (Mechen) remembers calling Mr Stockdale Mr Stoker. On my first day at school I (innocently) called Rev Moore Mr Creep...and got his hand across my face in return. Happy Days...

When I was in the second form Harry 'Blinks" taught us French. During only about the third or fourth lesson a first form child knocked on the door. He'd been sent to collect something or other but opened up with "Excuse me Mr. Blinks ....". He got no further. A grim-faced Harry gave him a real dressing down but, as soon as the child had left, almost collapsed in uncontrolled mirth.

The 'chemistry' thread is wavering on the edge of being an 'embarrassing moment' thread, but to validate my own I'll preface it with confirmation that the lab technician was, indeed, Mr Johnson.

Sometime during my third year my mother and I had an appointment to see the Headmaster. I haven't the foggiest idea what about. We got there early and Miss Reilly informed us he was teaching and we sat waiting in the corridor outside her office. I started telling my mother that the Head was popularly known as 'Old Nick' or 'Nev', and went on to recount some of his eccentricities, and by the time he showed up we were not in quite the mood for meeting him! He ushered us into his office, asked us to sit down and then asked my mother what it was we had come about. "Well, Mr Nick..." she begins. I died a thousands deaths. She blushed scarlet and corrected herself and blundered on. But Mr Hind, I swear, had the greatest difficulty containing the smile that almost escaped the corners of his mouth to light up his face. For weeks after, whenever he passed me in a corridor, I would hear his 'mm mm' though he never seemed to be looking at me.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Cottingham, East riding of Yorkshire

Re Allan Jones and his comments I do remember the rev Moore....did he teach us science?
Did he have a false eye?
I remember him ( or think I do ) causing a treacle tin to explode in front of us all. No safety glasses in those days ....just a reminder that he did it on purpose. Hmmm.
I got covered in very hot water. Happy days.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) abergele

Another Rev 'Creep' Moore anecdote (stop me if i've already told it :): He was right handed and would look back at the class over his right shoulder whilst chalking formulae on the blackboard. Paul Helliwell reckoned his false eye was his right eye, and that therefore he wouldn't actually be seeing a thing when glancing back at the class. Others thought differently and placed a bet with Paul. He sought to prove his theory by waiting till Creep looked over his shoulder. He then stood up and 'two'ed him up' in full view of the rest of the class. QED: Creep's false eye was actually his left one. PH lost the bet and was in deep sh*t...

Yes Malcolm, Rev. Moore did teach us science in 1C. I particularly remember gaining an introduction to planetary astronomy. He also taught maths to my form in the 3rd year which, perhaps somewhat perversely, I also rather enjoyed!

Old Nick of course was well aware of his nickname.I recall one history lesson when he was chuntering on about the battle of Nevilles Cross.Strange, he said,I overheard some boys talking about this last week, but they called it the battle of Old Nick's Cross,can't understand why.From the twinkle in his eye we knew it was OK to laugh.On another note I have fond memories of Creep.Does anyone know how he got his nickname? Was it because of the way he silently glided along the corridors or was there another reason?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-1961

Current location (optional) Filey

I remember Rev Moore and always wondered if he was a Rev, why was he teaching? Didn't he have a parish anywhere or was he moonlighting from his proper Sunday job?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-61

Current location (optional) Haworth via Ble Mountains, Australia

Nick's entry into a classroom where another teacher was teaching always made my heart leap. I waited for the 'Is Seeley here?' that would take me out into the corridor for a bellowing.It never happened it was always Laws or Haggas but not me. Until one day I was working away and my shoes were too tight,. The war was on, shoes were rationed, I was growing, there was still some wear in the shoes. I slipped them off to relieve the torture.Of course my feet yelled with delight and expanded with joyful relief.
Enter Nick. Then my worst nightmare. 'Is Seeley here?'
All eyes turned on me.I tried to thrust my feet into the shoes but the laces were still tied, my feet had swollen and would they heck as go back on. I scuffled down the aisle trying desperately to push my feet into thse terrible shoes with each step. I looked like Quasimodo shuffling out into the corridor to face him. Blessed if I can recall what he wanted to see me about but it wasn't anything that deserved a bellowing. I flush with embarassment even now as I write. A dreadful moment. Arthur

In the last week of term, when all the results were in - whether examination or otherwise - Nev would do his rounds, dropping in on classes, to 'interview' those whose work in given subjects had either fallen off noticeably or had continued in habitual abysmal fashion. The result was either a pep talk, a public humiliation or the loss of the half-day 'merit' holiday at the end of term.

I remember one vivid occasion, maybe second or third form, when Nev entered and began his inquisition (looking over the top of his specs). "Brigg, is he here?" and Brigg (Michael), who had a round, cherubic face, with pink cheeks, rose to his feet smiling ... And Nev read out his indictment - something like "History, 20%". Brigg still beaming cherubically. "Don't you like History, boy?" Brigg gives this question some thought, then replies (still beaming): "Well... I'm not reight struck... sir". Nev went purple, then (as I have heard it described in much more recent times) 'ballistic', screaming a lecture at Brigg about 'gutter' language... I never saw him like that before or since, it seemed as though apoplexy might seize him at any moment. Brigg not only lost his merit holiday, he also lost his place in the 'A' stream - presumably because he had had the temerity or anivety to declare publicly that he was not one of the 'History Boys'!

Sorry, lads, the word in the last line is not a neologism just a typo and should read 'naivety'...

What used to fascinate me about Nick was that,halfway through a sentence when he was delivering a lesson on Elizabeth, say, he would turn to the window that looked out on to Lord St. and gaze sometimes for 5 minutes while we sat silent, then his reverie over he would turn back to us and continue the sentence he had left hanging in the silent room. Often wondered where he went inside his head at those times. Arthur.

Wheres the chemistry in the last few posts ? Seems to have gone 'off thread!'

Current location (optional) Wirral

Yes Malcolm remember me ?I was in the same form as you for a couple of years.

The science course we took was a combined "Physics with Chemistry" course and our master was indeed one Derek Gordon (I think) Hemingway who I believe left about 1963 and moved to a school in Cleckheaton.
The Rev Moore was nicknamed "Creep" because of the old song "Jeepers Creepers where did you get those peepers" Makes sense really when you think about it!

What about all the others-Douglas A Peart,Bill "Midge" Midgley,Crowther,Wilby,David Crouch,"Rustyguts" Fearnside & "Daddy"Day etc?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-62

Current location (optional) Shipley.

yes kenny webb i certainly remember you. i have just had an operation on my hand and so far not too much pain ( good chemicals ) will write again in a couple of weeks when both should be working better.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) abergele

Douglas Peart ???? D. Anthony Peart please !

Current location (optional) Wirral