KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Scope of threads

No Brian. Colin Mitchell was not related to PV. Colin is the brother of Steve Mitchell(also ex KBGS)PV was a piano player of some considerable talent. Yes he was expelled.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

A reply to John/Marcus' posting about the misery inflicted by Birch. I know I've mentioned this in a different thread, but Birch seemed to enjoy spreading misery and putting insecurity into his pupils. Makes you wonder what sort of a mindset he had because, like you, my early days at KBGS were made thoroughly miserable by him. If he could find a chink in your knowledge, he would exploit it and delight in belittling you. As a naive first former this came as a huge shock. He should have been trying to make us enthusiastic about maths, but instead had exactly the opposite effect. 50 years on, and the experiences of humiliation are not forgotten.

Brian Craven's mention of the topiary in Bradford Road, Riddlesden fortunately brought back more pleasant memories. I had quite forgotten about those figures in the bungalow garden. They were a marker for knowing when to go downstairs to get off the bus when we were travelling back from Bradford on the 67. One of the hedges was cut in the shape of a horse and jockey - just corrected this typing having typed in "hore" instad of "horse". That would have been interesting...

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) Exeter

Like Brian, I don't recall PV's musical talents either. We had a John Mason in our class and he was good on the ivories, or was it Stewart Hebden - oh dear!!
PV was certainly a sod of the first degree. We had a Sod's Club which rated the lads from the most mischievous/disruptive sod downwards. There was no competition for Sod No1 - PV. John Mason was No2 and I think I came in round about 5 or 6.
I distinctly remember JM throwing a pump at Crud and it hit him fair on the jaw. He was sent to Joe's office and we never saw him again.

yep, PV was "sod" No 1,He was eventually asked to leave kbgs and went to the Tech. He was a brilliant pianist. The last time I saw him was years ago playing the piano at Haworth cycling club. I think he finished up playing in a band somewhere south of Sheffield.It's sad to hear that he is no longer with us .He was a great character.

Yes Pete I got it the wrong way round PV started at the Tech and then came to KBGS. Thanks for confirming his piano playing I was beginning to doubt myself.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley