KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Humphrey Head Centenary

An article in the Keighley News (see ‘Trips’ then ‘Humphrey Head’) is asking for anyone having ‘memories’ of their stay to email:

humphrey.head@northyorks.gov.uk

with them as it prepares for its Centenary celebrations.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Re: Humphrey Head Centenary

I have pleasant memories of H.H. One involves Sam Smales! on a 6TH Form K.B.G.S. Geog. Field Trip. Secondly in my capacity as the H.T.of Kildwick School.Lastly I built, owned and ran my own school in the sky"called,"NED NOOK" based on the H.H. model.During the period of my tenure there every Mon. morning I was"bright eyed and bushy tailed" until I suffered a massive Brain Haemorrhage back in 1994 but I survived and still have a "tale to tell and a song to sing" in true K.B.G.S. fashion!X

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Glad to hear that John Ackroyd has pleasant memories of me at H.H
We geographers and geologists had a great time with Brian Ellis and the little fat one (sorry I forget his name)
The biologists captured lots of voles and mice for fleas -some were huge and I think they ended up in the pies
The highlight of the visit was the trip to Morecambe and even to Grange where we were nearly arrested for trying to chisel a Trylobite (SPELLING PROBABLY A BIT IFFY HERE) out of the wall near the railway station
Any tales of me in Morecambe are totally untrue and part of John Ackroyd's myths and sagas (an old Norse word favoured by Noggin the Nog )

Current location (optional) cumbria

By 'the little fat one' Sam, do you mean Peter Wilby? He's still the same as he was at KBGS and alive and kicking in Embsay and hasn't aged at all! Frightening really.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Sam, as "Noggin the Nog" I seem to remember you wearing "winkle pickers" manure in farmyards in the dark , expletives and Wilby and Ellis hiding behind the farmyard plus a number of 6th formers in pyjamas being berated by "little fat man" or is this myth?

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

John your recollections are slighly true and were defined/refined earlier this year by the Rev Geoff ,who I should be meeting tonight but as I am currently in Germany our meeting has been postponed until later
No doubt a man of the cloth will provide an accurate account of life at H.H. .
Good to hear old Wilby is still alive ,any news of Brian Ellis?

Current location (optional) cumbria

Who was Humphrey Head?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth