KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
olympians

I know Colin Kirkham represented Gt Britain at the Olympics,Is he kbgs only olimpian?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 57 62

Current location (optional) keighley

Re: olympians

Although not strictly KBGS, Oakbanker Des Fretwell competed in the cycling at the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

I was on holiday in the Malverns around that time. My son and I decided to walk the Malverns - South to North. We crossed a road where the Milk Race was due to cross. We were handed a programme and noticed that a rider from Keighley called Fretwell was in the England team. When he passed us at walking speed, standing on the pedals as he climbed the hill out of Ledbury, I shouted in my best couth Keighley, "Cum on, Fretwell, gie it sum bluddy wellie". There was quite a look of amazement on his face.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

So,it looks like kbgs only produced one olympian,Being a rugby/cricket playing school, were any international/senior county players (apart from Dave Jeans Rugby League) produced and if not why not? was it poor facilities or poor teachers?

I think this has been posted before: Barrie Whittingham played for Nottingham. He never quite reached the potential we all thought he had, although there's nothing shabby about playing first class cricket. These stats are from Cricinfo:

Barrie Whittingham

England

Full name Norman Barrie Whittingham
Born October 22, 1940, Silsden, Yorkshire
Current age 68 years 41 days
Major teams Nottinghamshire
Batting style Left-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm offbreak

Batting and fielding averages Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
First-class 77 141 7 2964 133 22.11 2 15 41 0
List A 5 5 0 85 69 17.00 0 1 0 0

Bowling averages Mat Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10