KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mini reunion

Five of us (Shaun, Geoff Berry, John Ackroyd , Mike Boothroyd and myself) are meeting for a pub dinner next Tuesday 11th at the Old Silent Inn , Stanbury.
If there is anyone else near enough wants to join us please let me know.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Mini reunion

Yes I'll do my best to be there

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Meet about 7 p.m. David.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Just to add Geoff Berry cannot now make it.

Great - but get yourselves all to the Doug Thompson event.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

We had a good time last night.
Lets try to do it again early next year

Agreed and the "LANDLORD" was spot as well as the company.Us young ex K.B.G.S.pupils are just as important as those who ignored us at UTLEY the last 2 times we attended.Clikey was`nt the word for it so mini-reunions for me and my ex-K.B.G.S mates in future

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Clikely rhymes with blimey---obviously the more erudite ex -K.B.G.S. pupils will think clique. Is this a new thread?

I have attended only the last two reunions at Utley and on the first occasion my initial reaction was much the same as JFA's. It did seem 'cliquey', especially when it came to lunch when defined groups commandeered whole tables for themselves. I soon realised, however, that 'exclusion' was not the intention but rather spending time with their former KBGS mates - many having travelled across great time and distance to do so. There was only one other person from my class/year present though there were several other people I knew and, in the end, I felt it had been worthwhile - just. At the last reunion there were even fewer people that I knew, so on balance it wasn't as interesting for me as the first had been. So I sympathise.

Trouble is, a school reunion, unlike a class- or year-reunion must be a very hit and miss affair for many individuals. You just don't know who will turn up - unless you arrange with your mates that several of you will go, then there's no problem for you - though you and your mates may well appear cliquish to others! On Tuesday evening, as I happened to be passing the 'Silent Inn' at the time you were there, I thought of stopping by for a drink. At the last minute I decided against it because I realised that I would have been largely excluded from conversation about times after my times at KBGS, inevitably so. And would you really have welcomed a complete stranger at a fairly intimate gathering?

Having just taken over the organisation of the next reunion, I very much hope that many of the younger end (the sixties' lads) will decide to come because if they continue to boycott it then it will fade away as an event a decade sooner than it should do.

Though my own experience of it has not been brilliant, I should like to persist with it because it represents the final reminder to the town that it once had a very fine school, which, whatever its failings for the individual (and I certainly include myself in this), nevertheless gave many lads from the town, and particularly working-class boys, a much better start in life than they might otherwise have had. I know little about Oakbank but I don't have the impression it presents itself as rooted in the traditions and values that KBGS stood for. There appears to be no sense of continuity. But on that score I am open to correction. Effectively, our school ceased to exist half a century ago, but it is very clear to this relative newcomer to the web-site that the experience the school represented in the lives of its many contributors was important - important enough to want to keep the memories of it alive. As I see it, the biennial Utley reunion and the mini-reunions (the more the merrier) support that wish in their different ways.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Well said DougN

Sorry Doug not N but T

Another "well said " Doug, Although I have not had the good fortune to go to a reunion of the KBGS I can understand that if one is the only one present from your year you would feel left out . However the sentimants expressed by you regarding the great experience of attending the school are quite correct and I thank you for putting your thoughts on record , well done .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Sassafras , Tasmania

Given the KBGS diaspora, maybe we should also be considering regional reunions, ie UK, NZ, Australia, Asia, where ever else. I'm up for an Australian reunion - there is a great pub in Jamberoo

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Are there any in Asia?

For me, one of the great things about being at kbgs was the acquaintances you could make with anyone in the school - older or younger/ brighter or dimmer - through the formal (and informal) out-of-class activities: school societies where the seniors encouraged the younger boys to "join in"; house teams and matches - sharing changing rooms with 59 other lads; school teams traveling together; examinations in rooms with older and younger pupils;touch rugby in the yard - and other games; the smokers' union;informal debates in the bike sheds; detention (staff and prefects). When I got fed up with some of the nerds in my own form, there was always somebody else to talk to through some commonality of interest.

A few of us are hoping to get together again , as last time (see earlier posts) at The Old Silent Inn , Stanbury on Tuesday 3rd March (7pm or so) A drink or two and a pub meal (splitting the bill). I think we have 5 so far. Anyone else want to join us ?

Current location (optional) Wirral UK

Anyone in London at the moment, I'll be here until 13th Feb

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Haworth now Blue Mountains, Australia

My cousin,Malcolm Walsh, and I will have our own mini reunion in Auckland next Wed for a few days when he arrives from Keighley! We were both in Frizzies class in our first year in '47.
Perspectives can be interesting. Malcolm and his wife are coming here expecting some nice warm weather, and it is, but last night I was chatting with a mate from Melbourne who is also visiting us in a couple of weeks, and they are looking forward to some cooler weather after the consistent 40 + they have been experiencing there the last couple of weeks.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

The excellent Chris Firth suggests a mini re-union in the Far East, or more likely Singapore. Chris I think Orchard Towers would be the right place or a pub in Geylang. Would you agree. Any florid-faced KBGS lad still living and working in the steaming Orient would be up for that kind of venue no doubt.

I will almost certainly be in Singapore for a few days in November. My 15th visit in 18 years , and possibly the last time before I retire.

Current location (optional) Wirral UK

My wife & I will be in Keighley for the first 2 weeks in September to catch up with family, friends and hopefully some of you former KBGSers. We are already booked in to the KBGS reunion on September 11.
We will be in Singapore from October 5-7 on our return journey, so it would be good to catch up with our Webmaster, and others, there too.

Yes JF, an Oz reunion would be good - count me in!

Hi Trevor, I will be in Geelong for a few days again first week in April. I will be at the "grudge" match at the MCG on 27 March to open the AFL season. I'll give you a call. Cheers.

Great Bill,
look forward to hearing from you.

I'd like to join you young lads on 3 March - to start putting faces to names.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Ey up, that'll be good. Brian said did anyone want to join us so that means you're welcome. Just look for me and a group of old codgers.

Indeed Doug you are welome. We just have a drink or two and a 'bar meal' and split the bill between us. Most of us will be those who arrived at KBGS '57-'59 or so , a few years younger than you, but we look lorward to meeting you.

There's a fair chance I could be in the Silent Inn region March 2nd/3rd. How exclusive is your gathering? Do you extend your welcome to all old Keighlians? If you switch to another venue, I would get the message.

Terry, if they'll have me they'll have anyone. See you there.

This is going ahead as planned at the Old Silent Inn Stanbury, Tuesday March 3rd. for 7pm.
Looks like we will have (beside myself) Shaun,John Ackroyd, David Boddy, Geoff Berry, Mike Boothroyd, Doug Thompson, Terry Marston. I still havent contacted Dave Baldwin (Dave if you see this, please try to make it), or Kevin Howley (who's daughter was our waitress last time).
Any others welcome.

Just a reminder for tonight if there are any last minute' takers. Looks like there will be nine of us.

Thanks to David Seeley, Terry Marston, Doug Thompson, Geoff Berry, Kevin Howley, John Ackroyd, Shaun Pye and David Baldwin for your company and pleasnat evening last night.

Yes; and thankyou Brian for the arrangements. It's some years since I've made it down to the 'Old Silent', but they certainly do know how to present a lamb shank there. Very tasty!!.
Just one thing, Brian, I mentioned a play called 'The Winslow Boy' during our conversation. My mistake, I'm afraid. It was in fact, 'The Browning Version', a one act play by Terrance Rattigan, as was 'Harlequinade'; both plays usually being performed in one evening by the same cast. My memory plays tricks on me at times. Senior moments??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Very much enjoyed - and hope to see you all again. I guess a night inn at The Silent is a quiet night out. Very enjoyable evening. Thanks, Brian.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln (now)

Sounds like a good night in a nice spot. I called in there for a couple on my last visit and bought a few charity notelets.(I hadn't heard that expression before). I can't ever prove this but when I were nobbut a lad it was claimed that the Old Silent used to be Bing Crosby's favourite English Pub.I know it was closed for many years. Cheers.
ps I see that the code I have to type in tonight is 6 JUN if I type in DDAY do you think it will work??????????

Bing Crosby's favourite pub would be 'Holiday Inn' surely. White Christmas made him a rich man.

Favourite ENGLISH pub Arthur. Cheers.