KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Coffee bars we hung around in

Bill,

Thanks for that 'memory jogger'. I remember most of the Keighley RL players of the early 50's which you list. I attended many of the home matches, standing in the 'scratting shed' with my dad, who had played for Keighley in the 20's. Dad was a 'forrard'. Do you remember a huge gorrilla-like chap called Chris Brereton, prop forward, who came to Keighley from Leeds? I recall seeing him at Wembley in 1947 playing in the Cup Final against Bradford Northern. He spent most of his time just lumbering about the pitch. Elias, a welshman, I recall very well. He was what my dad called 'splather footed' and Mills, who used to engage in kicking competitions with the opposing full backs. Isn't the game different today?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45 -50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

What a memory-jerker. I remember Chris Brereton, usually played with "8" on his shirt. The other prop during my spell on the terraces was Britton. Brereton was a very effective distributor of the ball. Standing still, he would offer it to the opposition, dummy in both directions and eventually pass when he had drawn sufficient of the opposition. My dad said he was a gentleman which was borne out to my satisfaction one Saturday. After the game, I caught him coming out of the changing rooms and asked for his autograph. I was most impressed by his off-the-field appearance - camel hair coat, gold rings on his fingers, "posh" voice - and if I remember correctly, a monocle.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Nice try Shaun to get the thread back on track.
If contributors wish to change the subject why not start a new thread?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Yes Bill (and Denis) - thanks for those memories. I remember being at the last game Jack Mills played - can't have been later than 1951. The ET Spillane you mention, Bill, must have been the legendary Ted Spillane who, if memory serves me right, played at stand-off in the late '30s. My dad used to say that so popular and good a player was he that if there had been any doubt about his fitness to play in any given week, bill-board men were sent around Keighley on Saturday morning to confirm that he was fit and would be playing. I seem to recall he came to Keighley from Wigan.

Chris Brereton and Mel De Lloyd (a Warrington reject when they were the best team in the League) really came together the season that the already-ageing Dai Jenkins was signed (I think from Leeds) as scrum-half. In just that one season - possibly '52 or '53 - they mesmerised all opposition with their back passes, scissor-movements, dummies, all 'the tricks of the trade'. The season started badly with several defeats but then they launched into the longest-running period in any season without defeat and finished about eighth in the League. I saw them slaughter Bradford Northern at Odsal and they even drew with Wigan at Lawkholme. They were brilliant.

Bill, the Davies you refer to was, I think, Ivor Davies, a forward, usually a prop, who played for certainly the first half of the fifties (the years seemed longer then, somehow!). Terry, was not Britton the hooker who replaced Pritchard who was transferred to Huddersfield (also fielding one of the most glamorous, Aussie-studded, teams in the League)? Thatcher was a centre (along with Martin Creaney who partnered Len Ward) who transferred to Dewsbury but long continued to train with Keighley on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

Sorry for 'going-on' but that's stuff I've not thought about in years!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Local lads in and out of the side were - Ernie Redman (stand-off) - who lived next door to the Eastwood Tavern - and "forrard" Jim Bargett - who could be seen in the week working for the local council as a labourer - probably good preparation for the match. Derek Hallas, who joined Keighley, worked on the shop floor with my dad at John Smith Cranes. He later transferred to Leeds and had representative honours for GB. I have to bow to your superior knowledge of the Keighley "steam pigs", Doug, because I think you lived about 5 yards closer to the Lawkholme Mecca than I did.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Well we seem to have swung right away from coffee bars but as there is a lot of interest I guess we'll keep going.
I well remember Chris Brereton-huge shaggy guy with long hair always over his face. Almost as big as Frank Whitcombe the Bradford Northern prop who was almost as big as the Airedale Heifer, the beast which had a pub named after it and which Frank Whitcombe took over when he retired.
I had forgotten Ernie Redman and Derek Hallas but I can recall their faces now I have been reminded.Jack Mills took his own life later on, in his home town/city of York when he "fell" in front of a train.I remember when George Elias retired we signed Bill Ivill who had the biggest thighs I had ever seen at that early time in my life.Scratting shed-I haven't heard that exprssion for many years. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Had no idea, Bill, that Jackie Mills had ended in that way. What a coincidence that you should mention him almost in the same breath as Ernie Redman, who also took his own life. Bill Ivill - yes, a very good centre three-quarter he was too (though also often on the wing). It was about that time too that Terry Holindrake came on the scene wasn't it?

Doug,

Sorry to alter your posting.

It was ERIC Redman (Eastwood School) who took his own life.

I spoke with Ernie Redman In Keighley Town Centre a week ago.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

I realise weve gone off thread here but Bill mentioned Freddie Barrett. As I visited my father (88) last night I asked him about Fred because I knew he was one of Dad's mates.
Dad played amateur rugby league with Fred in the two seasons leading up to the war for a team called Victoria Park. They were unbeaten in those two seasons, and Dad still has a couple of cups form that time (Shaun has seen them I think). Fred, Dad and a third team member (he told me the name last night but I've forgotten) were offered trials with Keighley RLFC, but only Freddie actually went. At that time Dad was well into an apprenticeship at Dean Smith and Grace, and I suspect didn't want rugby to impinge on his work. He worked there until he retired in 1983 (47 years service). He still has a photo of the team and thinks that there is just himself and a guy called Rowe still living. He confirms Fred did pass away a couple of years ago.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re your dad, Brian. When I was last home a couple of years ago, I saw his photo on the sideboard at my cousins house in Westburn Ave. They play/played in the same bowls team. Cheers.

Derek, thanks for the double correction. I've lived fifty years believing it was Ernie who had died and that Eric (whom, as you know, I knew well enough) must still be alive somewhere!

Thanks for that Bill, yes , it will be Lund Park Veterans Team. Dad has still been playing this season at age 88. I think he has he same photo.
It's odd to think that a couple of them on the photo are only a year or two older than me ! Veterans indeed !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

That's right Brian. My cousin Malcolm Walsh, also KBGS, is 72.Make you feel old eh?
I like the slogan-you don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.Cheers.