KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
english/welsh

Following on my English/Welsh theme, I find some aspects of the Welsh language confusing.
Living in Wales I appreciate their history and culture but why is the name Jones the most popular surname when there is no J in the Welsh language?
Perhaps Jones came from John.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) rhos on sea, north wales

Re: english/welsh

...indeed it did - Jones/Johnson/Johnston/Hancock all seem to have meant 'son of John'...

How on earth can you find Welsh confusing, Malcolm? It's as simple as Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch or Gorsafawddachaidraigodanheddogleddollonpenrhynareurdraethceredigion

Please pay attention, boyo.

What came out on your spellchecker when you punched those in?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Not sure spellcheck works on this site, Alec. I think, however, it would have had an infarction.
I see 76% of Llanfair residents speak Welsh - the others have a bugger of a time telling cab drivers where to go. Probably wish they lived in Old Sodbury or Blubberhouses

Just for a bit of fun, have a look at www.fun-with-words.com/longest_place_names.html
Having lived in NZ for a long time, I can struggle through the Maori one with great difficulty,IF I have written in front of me. I have Kiwi friends who can rattle it off without any problems. It used to be a real party piece.I wouldn't know how to try the Thai one. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Welsh is easy if you break it down. As Paul Edwards
stated long words look confusing but his just means the local station.
I tell the Welsh that in Yorkshire speak bidet means flannel. They have little sense of humour.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 63

Current location (optional) abergele