KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: winter of '62

Nice photo Allan. Which is you?

...not saying....you have to guess....

I did a walk from Steeton upto the Tarn that winter - in January I think - with John Topham. I took a photo of him talking to a horse over a wall on the way back down past t'bobbin mill. Blowed if I could interpret or tell who made most sense. When I dig it out I will forward same. It was a long winter. John and I were students in West London and the ice, frost and eventually smogs did not clear up till Easter. I hitch-hiked to Cambridge with a bloke from Brighton as the thaw set in to spend a weekend in the company of Paul Haskey. The roads were awash with mucky water which was running off the saturated fields. I remember also the winter of 1947 - and the two were similarly arduous - different times - different problems.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I think that winter was more the early part of 1963 . I have diary records that the temperature was around 15-20 degrees F during Jan and Feb and it was said it was the longest cold spell since 1947. mind you it was also very cold in Dec 1962 so that might be the dates you remember Allen

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Sassafras , Tasmania

Can't really say which is you and which is your sis Allan but had the ice caved in you were in no danger. Having tried to swim in the tarn on several occasions it was never deeper than 3 foot. QUESTION: The tarn is at the top of a hill. Where does the water come from? I passed by there earlier this year. It's been gentrified by Bradford Council who've landscaped it and made it into a public amenity. It was packed with cars though I imagine the clandestine noctural activities for which it was once famous still go on today - thankfully some things never change!

In addition to the above,you seem quite surprised that the Tarn held your combined weights. Does that mean that the tarnno longer Freezes over regularily sufficient to give a few days skating. In the early 40's we looked forward to winter and the prospect of a good time sliding on what was then the tarn in its natural state . I was a bit dissapointed to find that it had been "tarted up " when I was there 4 yrs ago. Then it was super to run over the road and the grass verge straight on to about 40 -50yds of shot ice with a surface like glass. It was said that pe-war folks would bring there cars, the few that had them , and shine the headlights on so that they could skate all night. Does this still happen. We must have been fit to trudge up from Devonshire Street, spend hours sliding and then run down hill home in the freezing night air.
There was a sort of boathouse at the far right corner but that was all there was and no path and seats,just beautiful peice of tarn.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Sassafras , Tasmania