KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Teeth

I went to a Mr Spore in Devonshire Street. I had one or two crooked teeth,so he fitted me with a brace.
He decided to take out 2 teeth to fit the brace, but did the whole operation in one sitting. So when I came round from the anesthetic I had a mouth full of brace and lots of blood. However it eventually did the trick and my teeth ain't crooked no more. Why do dentists wait until your mouth is "opened wide" before asking you questions, and further more how do they understand your answers?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Ther was indeed a Mr Spoor (I think that was the spelling) in Devonshire St, but my parents went to Mr Tomlinson, also in Dveonshire Street.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Still Monday morning, Brian?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

The School Clinic was at 147 Skipton Road. The main entrance was around the back in Spring Gardens Lane. The ground floor was medical with an admin office at the rear.
The first floor had two dental surgeries and a physiotherapy dept, together with a 'sunray' room for ultra-violet light treatments.

Brian Clay had the front surgery, looking out onto Skipton Road. He left in 1960 and went to Lowestoft.
He died in the late seventies or early eighties

Edwin Midgley had the back surgery facing Spring Gardens Lane. he worked there from 1948 until finally retiring in 1982, being part time from 1977. He died in 1997.

John Skinner had the physio dept from 1955 until he retired. (?early 90's) He remains alive and well.

The Skipton Road premises were closed and services transferred to the new Keighley Health Centre when it opened in Oakworth Road.

Dentistry, like all other aspects of life, has changed out of all recognition over the last 30 years, as both the technology and materials have become ever more advanced. There is now no reason why teeth should not last a lifetime if looked after and not subjected to physical trauma.

Current location (optional) Thornton in Lonsdale

Thanks for that Richard, good to see you posting on here. I recall sitting next to you in our first days at KBGS, when Percy Peart arranged us alphabetically.

Current location (optional) Wirral

In about 1961 I got a kick in the teeth playing rugby. Apart from lots of blood there was no obvious damage. However the blow must have caused the enamel to become crazed (much like the rest of me my wife would claim). By the time I was 19 my 4 front teeth at the top resembled blue cheese. The Student Health dentist in Sheffield carved the teeth down to stumps and fitted 4 crowns. Two have had to be replaced over the years but the other two are still going strong after 43 years.
Given that I came close to needing 4 false teeth when I was still at kbgs I wondered - did any of our contemporaries have false teeth when they were still at school?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

I refer to the fact that I have had 3 false teeth since 1943 in my entry under this heading, 14 down on page 1. I am now on my second set , the mouth doesn't seem to alter at all although I have 3 more teeth on the dentures now !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1943-6

Current location (optional) Sassafras, Tasmania

I think Dave Harrison had a couple on a plate - the originals lost in the cause of valour.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln