KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where Are You Now? 4X 1948 Sixty Years On!

Where Are You Now?

I first became aware of this website several years ago when someone told me that I was listed as an unknown quantity on a photograph of Form 4X 1948 which had been posted in the Gallery section. Since then I have been a regular visitor to the site . However, it is apparent that most of the contributors are youngsters . There are exceptions I know - David Seeley, [who has gone a bit quiet of late] was in my intake, but nowhere can I recall seeing any posting or comment by a member of that ‘band of brothers’ who made up my Form 4X. I am in touch with just one, Ian Micklethwaite, but there must be a few others still drawing breath! I would be grateful for any information.

Those listed on the photograph are
Top Row:- Peter Wellock, Frank Petty, ? ,Gordon Sinclair, Richard Waterhouse, Clive Hewitt and Denis Clough.
Middle Row:- Clifford Manton, ? ,Keith Handley, Allan Clough, Fred Farrar, Eric Hall, Peter Nicholson, Colin Stott, ? , ?
Front Row:- Peter Greenwood, Timothy Passingham, Denis Pickles, Ian Micklethwaite, Peter Smith, George Harrison (Form Master) referred to as 'Georgie Fudd', Donald Coggan, Derek Sutcliffe, Malcolm Smith, Henry Callow ?, Howard Hargreaves.

The only information I can recall is that Henry Callow went to live in South Africa [he was involved in the Textile Industry]; after a spell as a bus conductor, Malcolm Smith became a Pathologist and was in McGill University, Montreal for a while; Peter Smith worked in the Architects Office at Keighley Borough Council, I think Peter Nicholson was a banker [Barclays?], but the one who will probably be able to come up with most information is Peter Greenwood - he was employed as an undertaker with Keighley Co-op!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: Where Are You Now? 4X 1948 Sixty Years On!

Denis; I am alive and well and still frequent the Turkey Inn, where we have met and quaffed on more than one occasion. I have looked at the Form 4x photo(1948)many times since posting it some 18 months ago. (Ee, you were thin then,Denis). The photo was passed to me by Malcolm Walsh for inclusion on the Website. He is still very friendly with Allan Clough and they both meet up on a regular basis. Peter Wellock also lives close by, and all of them within a short walk of one another. All three of them have had either triple heart by-passes or had pace-makers fitted in recent years and all of them are members of the Keighley Retired Mens'Forum, as I am. None of them has a computer , which is sad. In fact, one of them is an out-and-out technophobe!!! They are now, all in their 'mid-seventies' and like you Denis, they are all still, alive and kicking. I'll try and be a little more 'chatty' in future.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Hey David, Malcolm is 72 !!!!!!!!!! Not mid 70's.He would sooner pick up the telephone than buy a computer. Sometimes though he goes around the corner to his son's place and his granddaughter will bell me on MSN and we have a chat, although that hasn't happened for a while.

Dennis-your friend Ian Micklethwaite. He was older than me but I remember him as the school cricket captain and if my memory serves me correct, he was the very first player in history to be awarded his colours/cap while still in the 3rd form. The second was my mate Derek Stow.

Having lived downunder for over 54 years it is good to have a link with home. Last year I was pleased to meet up with David Seeley in NZ, while 2 years ago I met up with Trevor Pickles in Geelong.
Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Pardon my ignorance, but why 4X? (as opposed to 1X or 5X). Was it a special vintage?

Chris,

To be honest, I don't know why 'X'. When I first started at KBGS, there were four forms in each year up to the School Certificate level. The first year they were 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D. This pattern continued, 2A, 2B, 2C,2D until the 4th Form when it became 4A, 4B, 4C and 4X. Why X? I think it might have been some sly dig at the capabilities of that form - 'X' being the unknown quantity! The A and B streams were made up of the bright boys [like David Seeley] - the ones who were considered to have academic potential whilst the C & D streams were somewhat 'less gifted'. In the X form I could continue to take Art up to School Certificate level whilst the subject was dropped by those in 'higher' streams.

I think that the pattern might have changed some time after I left because I beieve I've seen reference to the X form being the clever lot - X then standing for Express, presumably because they did two years work in one! Correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually I meant why did you pick 4X (your 4th year class) and not 3X or 5X. I guess though it was just so you could say "sixty years on"! Presumably 5X (if there was such a thing) contained the same pupils.

In those dark, austere days after WW2, photgraphs were taken only rarely. The year for form photographs simply happened to be 1948 when I was in 4X.

Both Denis and Bill mentioned above a 'lad'named Ian Micklethwaite, who, I believe, came to the School from the Pudsey area, in his(and our)2nd or 3rd year. His batting ability must have been immediately obvious at 'nets' and he marched straight into the School 1st X1 as 'opening bat'. I remember watching him in one game, down at Keighley, when he 'picked up' a half volley outside his leg stump and helped it on it's way down to fine leg for a six!!! Everyone gasped in amazement! Such a gifted player and very mature for his years. I was pleased to see his photograph in the 'Now & Then' section recently, complete with full Cricket colours(1949-50); which I assume was posted by you, Denis? Please give him my regards when next you see him.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Denis,
Could the Donald Coggan you identified in the photo actually be David Coggan? If so, he's alive and well, living next door to my parents in Queensbury in the house he has occupied (previously with his parents), since leaving teacher-training college around 1957. He's about the right age I think, and the photo does bear a resemblance. I didn't know him until 9 years later, being one year old when the photo was taken!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Brian,

Coggan! His initial was definitely 'D'. It just might be David, not Donald. He certainly came from Queensbury way and perhaps I'm confusing him with the Coggan who was Archbishop of Canterbury! Ask him next time you visit your parents eh?

David. Aye lad, I was a bit on the 'lish' side when at school - didn't carry an extra ounce anywhere, and Yes, I'll remember you to Ian when I see him again. He sometimes has a glance at the KBGS site but as yet I haven't been able to rope him in to contribute.