KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New batch of photos

After meeting KBGS old boy Doug Thompson recently in Singapore I was spurred on to scan more photos that I have. So enjoy the new batch in the photos page:

Reception for new teachers Sep 1958
Staff and Governors Feb 1959
Speech Day Nov 1959
Watthey, Switft, Milton retires Xmas 1962
Kenny Preston July 1962
Sam Riley, Midgley, Watthey, Prof. Butterfield 1964

Chris

Re: New batch of photos

Thanks for those. Im struggling with the new teachers photo 1958, the same time as I started at KBGS. Percy Peart is just behind mayor (John Binns), whos son Peter also started that year. Jim Wilkinson is behind Watthey. Who are the others, I ought to know more than two !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Further to above, I can do a bit better with the second photo, as Bowen is there, and Stoker, and Gus Cullingford.
I think on both those photos the older gent is Councillor W E Walton (and his wife), who was a governor ,and also was mayor one year.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

These photos, and "Reception for new teachers Sep 1958" in particular, are excellent snapshots of a time gone forever. They make me quite wistful for the gentler and more genteel England I was born into in 1961.

A more cold-eyed view would say it wasn't so gentle, given it was only 13 years after the end of the world's first nuclear war.

Current location (optional) Singapore

In the second photo Fred Cattley(sp) next to Gus and I think that's Vince at the back being the comedian.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Also in the 2nd photo the young teacher two to Frd's left rings a bell but can't place him.That's Birchy at the end,isn't it? Some great photos there.Thanks for those.

Frank Wellock behind the vicar.(I should have said the young teacher second in from Fred's right).

".. think that's Vince at the back being the comedian".

Any other guesses about the identity of the guy behind Stoker...could be Vince I suppose....?? Great photos all. Joe should really have thought twice about that beard though...!

I think the picture of Joe, Sam Riley and Bill Midge is later than 1964. Possibly 68 or 69, maybe Bill Midgley's retirement. What he and his wife got up to with a Polaroid camera I'd rather not think about.

Reception 1958; Could it be Bowen again, left of Jim Wilks?
Staff/Governors; Looks like Spike Rannard next to Wellock, back row far left.
2 places to left of Wellock is the red-haired chap who, I think, taught maths. (Was he the one named Dawson?)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Sorry, on closer inspection, it's a slide projector.

Interesting collection of photographs from roughly the same period. If I may help identify some of the people in the photos:
Reception for New Teachers:
Extreme right- former pupil David Holdsworth (later Dr.)I think the small man with glasses is Mr Lougee, the manager of the Trustees Savings Bank and active in parent/teacher affairs. Mayor John Binns was later elected in 1964 as MP for Keighley when Wilson was swept to power with a majority of 4 reduced to 3. 1st man from left with glasses Cllr Walton (I think he was a teacher - later Mayor); on his left Frank Pedley, Keighley Education Officer, held in esteem in educational circles.

Staff and Governors Feb 1959:
On Watthey's right arm Miss Reilly, school sec; on Watthey's right shoulder in dog collar, Canon Hamer, Rector of Keighley; the man most central and forward is Cllr/Alderman Noel Johns (see his obituary by Frank Pedley (worth reading) at http://archive.cravenherald.co.uk/1999/1/23/167104.html) Cllr Walton is obscuring sight of Fred Catley; Cullingford and Bowen are propping up the bookcases in what looks like the "new" school library which hosted an infamous prefects' party.
The Speech Day photograph shows AEW; GDQH (David Harrison); Terry Marston; Dr Coggan, Bishop of Bradford - later Cantab; Cllr Hammond and Alderman Noel Johns.
Prutt's present looks like a box of Taylor's Yorkshire Tea Bags.
In all the photographs reflect a period of local affairs when there was great commitment made by public spirited men and women to the wider interests of the community at large - and to his credit Watthey did much to harness these energies for the benefit of the school.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

in the Reception '58 image, the chap standing between the 2 standing ladies used to drive around Keighley in a Rolls Royce, wasn't he something to do with Timothy Taylor's brewery?

The more I look at it, the more I think "Reception for new teachers Sep 1958" is an incredible photo. Worthy of inclusion in "The best of Life" or similar photo journals.

Every face seems to tell a story, and the details are just as telling:
- the lit ciggarette held elegantly through two fingers
- the gloomy sky that can be seen through the window
- the cheap wallpaper
- the uniformly smart clothes (Sunday best?)
- the expression on the Mayor's wife(?)
- the gold-rimmed (?) tea cups
- the little, shiny reflection on Watthey's cheek
- the Mayor's chain and hadnkerchief
- the dentures of the old couple on the left

Brilliant!

The same Mayor's Chain 50 years later.

Trevor, the gentleman standing between the two standing ladies is John Aked Taylor. John later became an Alderman and then Lord Ingrow.
He was part of the Timothy Taylor brewing family.
Check out the following obituary for full details of his life.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1385264/Lord-Ingrow.html

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) Keighley

Chris is right. The photo is wonderful. It is reminiscent of a British comedy film of the 1950s. For “Joe” substitute Sid James. The fellow with the cigarette could be Kenneth Connor.
Does the Mayoress have a hat on her head or is it her hair? And what is the woman between mayor and mayoress wearing on her head?
And who is the fellow on the extreme right with the teacup?

Current location (optional) leeds

Shaun Pye; Pay attention..... The chap with the teacup is Dr David Holdsworth (dec July 2001) and old boy of kbgs.

An afterthought re- "Johnny" Binns (MP).... as a boy I recall he used to call at our house fortnightly (of a Friday of course) to collect insurance premium (what was termed industrial insurance) for the Prudential (I believe).
Apologies for this (rather) "parenthetic" contribution.

Mea culpa Terry. Dementia?

Current location (optional) leeds

Extending the Ealing comedy idea (I was conjuring with Passport to Pimlico) I'm pretty sure the lady sitting on the right is Joyce Grenfell!

I few other details I noticed
- hearing aid in old man on right
- pained expression of the man by the window ("I'd rather be down the pub")
- the yellow(?) feather hat of the lady dead centre

Standards have obviously dropped. No handkerchief in the breast pocket of the 2004 Mayor.

sorry it should be

- hearing aid in old man on left

The lady between the mayoral couple is Mrs Watthey.
Johnny Binns was my Grandmother's brother's son, we used to call him uncle, which of course he wasn't. How's that for a bit of totally useless information?

Any idea who the 4 seated ladies are? Maybe the wives of the 'new' Masters.

Is the seated lady on the left the lovely Susan who was Miss Reilly's sidekick in the admin office? And why did people look so old then???