KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Piano/Music teachers

Further to Trevors comments on 'Yorkshire Tea' etc thread.
Trevor, I never knew that ! Well I'm still playing a bit each day. You are right my gradfather bought a piano so I could play when I was at their house, and actually , be picked up quite a bit by ear so he could play himself.

I do remember the teacher called Lucy Loach, though I had lessons from Mary Binns in Victoria Road, my first being in January 1953, a couple of months before by 6th birthday. I had organ lessons with Roland Windle at Temple Street from age 13.
Another well known piano teacher in Keighley was Jack Smith, who also conducted the Keighley Vocal Union. Rumour used to have it that he stood over you with a ruler, and if you played a wrong note, he rapped your knuckles with it.
I guess some others of you had piano (or other instrument) lessons. Any recollections ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Piano/Music teachers

My wife, as a young girl, was taught pianoforte by Dorothy Whittaker (LR and all that)who had use of a "studio" at Burns' Music shop on East Parade. (She was later taught by Brian Payne - of kbgs staff.)Much later and married, we were amused by an item read on TV "That's Life" (Esther Ransom!!).... from The Keighley News.... "AT STUD... Miss Dorothy Whittaker, teacher of pianoforte."

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Ah yes I remember her too. Burns music shop was indeed in East Parade, but I also remember it before that being in Cavendish Street, near to Reids bookshop.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I think you are confusing the Cavendish St. shop with Harry Midgley's music shop.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I took piano lessons from the age of 7 and was taught by Mrs Crossley who lived in Fell Lane almost opposite the old St John's Hospital.
I can remember going into Burns Music Shop (then owned by a Mr Riley and his wife)picking up the sheet music for the latest hit of the day memorising the chord sequences rushing out and writing them down before I forgot them.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Current location (optional) Keighley