KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Quality of Life.

I suppose one of the ultimate quality of life experiences happened when one passed the 11+.But as this `site testifies the "Quality of Life" one encountered at KBGS was suspect. Was it?
As one gets older one`s quality of life changes.Does it? Obviously,the experiences of KBGS will have had an effect on those qualities but it would be interesting to read what other "posters" have to say on this emotive subject. Would it?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Re: Quality of Life.

Good to see the "whippersnappers"won't lie down John
Like you passing the 11+ and moving to KBGS was a life changing experience .
It certainly helped me over the years but perhaps age and hindsight have mellowed my recollections
However I believe that KBGS gave me a good overall education and set standards of behaviour and responsibility which have never left me (the educationalists will have a ball with this )
As I sit in my office in rural Cumbria I realise that I have a reasoable quality of life and I owe some of that to KBGS but not to Gilbert Swift who taught me English in the First year

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Gilsland -Cumbria

I feel my quality of life is excellent especially when I compare it with some others in the world. The college where I work is situated in an entry level suburb for Asian immigrants and African refugees. Their quality of life whilst better than previously is still inferior to mine.

When we left Yorkshire to come to Australia, my education was totally disrupted, yet, because I had attended (and survived) three years at kbgs, I knew that I had the potential to succeed at university. I eventually did at age 30 and was able to move in circles previously barred to me. I went from NCO to Officer rank within the Army immediately and was "taught to be a gentleman".

I still use skills from kbgs every day, I recently recited "a sentence is a complete expression of a thought" from Prut, when I was complaining about the grammar in a young colleague's report.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

Wow John - more philosophy. Here goes.
I reckon there are four main factors that determine my quality of life.
Having an above average income in one of the world's wealthier countries.
Having friends and family who enrich my life.
Having a reasonable degree of control over what I do and how I do it. (Much improved since giving up being a headteacher.)
Having good health (fingers crossed).
For further discussions we'll have to wait until we next have a jar.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds