KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yorkshiremen can finally fly their own flag
Re: Yorkshiremen can finally fly their own flag

Just in time for August 1st - "Yorkshire Day".
Fly your flag with pride !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Where can I get some flags? A very happy Yorkshire Day to all o thee

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Try
http://www.novelties-direct.co.uk/product.php?productid=6018&gclid=CK_jqa_T6ZQCFQyR1QodVjJlRg

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) Keighley

Yorkshiremen can finally fly their own flag

Have a GOOD Yorkshire Day everyone !!
For the Locals
“Yorkshire passports” are being issued from Keighley Town Hall’s cash office in readiness for the town’s Yorkshire Day celebrations on Saturday.
Each passport contains a declaration of Yorkshire integrity and can be stamped at the Lord Rodney Inn, on Church Green, entitling the holder to a free Yorkshire cream tea.
On Saturday the new Yorkshire Ridings flag will be unveiled on the Shared Church hall and there will be live music in Church Green from the Dixie Dudes band.
A prize treasure hunt will take place in the Airedale Shopping Centre. The Store, in Cavendish Street, will have a sale featuring handmade Yorkshire products. Cavendish Court will hold a Big Summer Event, where visitors can meet the Keighley Cougars’ mascot.
The Keighley town crier will be active in the town centre and will be giving away Yorkshire roses.
And the myth of Tyke thriftiness will be turned on its head, as East Riddlesden Hall will offer free admission to Yorkshire residents throughout the day. Keighley Town Council has arranged the passports and is organising the entertainment on Church Green.
It can be contacted for any further information on the Yorkshire Day events on 01535 618252.

Should be reet gradely !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Current location (optional) Keighley

A very happy if somewhat belated Yorkshire Day to you as well.

I can tell you that for a Tyke, it was pretty bloody lonely here in the Blue Mountains. Of the only local Yorkshire folk I know, one is an old lady in her 80s who is now so demented that she wouldn't care if it was Xmas Day, the other was away for the weekend. My wife is Indian and whilst she makes a valiant effort, couldn't understand why I didn't want my roast beef with hot chilli sauce. Any road, I made Yorkshire Pudding, lashings of taters to go with it and the incidental roast beef, a few sprouts, great Yorkshire Day dinner, had parkin, ate a Yorkie Bar, drank Dandelion and Burdock, (I rarely drink although I do brew my own ale and I have a batch of Yorkshire Bitter that I am working on). I watched episodes of Last of the Summer Wine. I even thought about going out to find either a Yorkshire Terrier or an Airedale to pat.

All in all, life is lonely for a Yorkshireman, (especially when he had the misfortune to be born in London and subsequently barred from playing for Yorkshire), on that one day of the year when he is away from his beloved Yorkshire. I feel that there is a very strong case for Australian Tykes to come together for that day so that we can celebrate it in style.

Thought a great deal about my boyhood, I wished my children and grandchildren could have been with me so that I could have bored them interminably by sharing my memories.

John, quite a bit of this holds true for Lincolnshire. I get funny stares when I put my "Yorkshire Post" through the check-out in Sainsbury.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Don't they have any Morrisons in Lincolnshire ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Yes, indeed, Alec. What a strange request. I can send you the co-ordinates if you want a nice piece of fish net (sic and in error) time you're this way.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Then why is a Yorkshireman shopping at Sainsbury's(London) instead of Morrison's(Leeds)?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

John, had I known your address I would have called having just driven thriugh the blue mountains twice in the last month. blody big place the island to the north of us.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1943-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania