KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beer.

My first foray as a young whippersnapper into a public house whilst at KBGS was with another much older KBGS pupil - D. WILDING- to the snug in "THE KINGS HEAD" at the bottom of GOULBOURNE ST.The "purpose" of the visit was for a game of Arrows.At that time the pub belonged to Hammonds. I was introduced to "Black and Tans" At the time I thought this form of leisure was"living" when I should have been at the local Y.C. playing Badminton.Perhaps today`s "Binge" drinkers do it for the same adrenalin rush I expeiencd 45 years ago!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Re: Beer.

Yes, John. Darts and Cribbage were the height of sophistication in those days; and the King's Head was where life was all happening. Don Wilding has had a number of mentions on the website, all of which, I believe, are related to "things you shouldn't have been doing". I doubt if he'd be concerned about that but I suspect he would be surprised at being called much older - Don is one year older the me and two years older than you. I suppose that two years seemed a lot in those days.
Oh, by the way, there is a thread called "Long lost public houses" that I started a long time ago. It was corrupted by some nutter but a proportion of it still exists as "Re: Long lost public houses". There is much discussion about pubs and beer to be found there. Or search for any posting by David Boddy. He is an authority on this subject.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Christ almighty - don't tell JFA that something has already been discussed - he'll have a hissy fit and stop contributing!!

Carefull Trevor. Some ex-scholars,even those subject to five years of the most sarcastic masters on earth, have no concept of irony. I await the reply to your posting with eager anticipation!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Oh, Happy memories of the Kings Head with Don, JFA, Shaun, and several other Lund Parkers !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral