KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BRONTE BUSES

Another fascinating website which will evoke many KBGS memories is www.brontebus.co.uk

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Re: BRONTE BUSES

Thanks a lot for the link, I remember Bronte Buses well with their garage on Sun Street. Although it has been 50 years, I remember Ceddie Gill the driver.

Strange tho' in those days as lads, we thought nowt of walking to Stanbury or Oxenhope or even Oakworth from Haworth, maybe because we didn't have the money to waste on bus fares

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Many thanks for this link. As John says, it brings back many memories to us locals and some familiar old buses and the old garage in Sun Street. Just the other day I posted about the local dance band, the Ambassadors, and I mentioned Billy Taylor as a member of that band. Billy is a son of Maurice Taylor, one of the original partners in the Bronte Bus Co. They were close neighbours of ours in Cross Roads.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

"Oh you'll never get to Heaven in a Bronte bus
'Cos a Bronte bus you'll have to push.
Oh you'll never get to Heaven etc etc"
As sung round Keighley scouting camp fires and on KBGS rugby trips.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Thanks Terry, I can't get that bloody song out of my head now. I remember singing about the Camp Revolution on a bus trip in Kirkudbright and Bill MIdge telling us to moderate our language because there were ladies present.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

'Percy' Peart usually used Bronte Buses for railway society trips. They must have been a good bit cheaper to hire than Harry Andertons, but we were never really sure whether they would get to the top of Cock Hill when we were going to Manchester!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral