KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How smart did you have to be to get in to KBGS?

My father got in to KBGS on a County Minor Scholarship, in the 1930s. What percent of boys would get in this way and how smart did you need to be to achieve such a scholarship?

Current location (optional) Singapore

Re: How smart did you have to be to get in to KBGS?

I'm not sure exactly how smart you had to be Chris. I know that I had to dig a way out of the house and wade through snow to get to Highfield school to sit the County Minor scholarship. I was 10 years old and it was the big snow of 1947, and I was living at Parkwood at the time. I remember being a bit miffed to find that many of the village kids were prevented from getting there because of the snow and had to be assessed. At least I had the satisfaction of passing the CM scholarship.I remember that some of my mates were not successful and so went to a Secondary Modern school such as Haworth.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Anyone could hazard a guess at % who passed the exam to get into KBSG? Top 20% or 30% or?

I always thought it was about 20%, but I think that Brian Moate will probably have the definitive answer to this one Chris.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

One of the most cogent arguments in favour of comprehensive secondary education in the '60s (using the equitable concept) was the fact that the percentage of admissions to grammar schools varied widely from one education authority to another.(In modern parlance - a postcode lottery). In some South Wales boroughs the admissions were as high as 25 to 30%. In North Yorkshire adjoining the county borough where I worked the %age was as low as 18 - which is why there were such good non-selective secondaries such as Joseph Rowntree in New Earswick (they had a load of grammar potential in their unselected "rejects". Now I know the Welsh rugby team has "BRAINS" stitched into its shirts - but I do not believe there was so much more Welsh grammar school potential than in almost the rest of the country. The short answer to Chris' s question is that the percentage was determined by the number of places the local politicians were prepared to fund.- - and it had no relation to the capabilities of the numbers admitted - or rejected.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Well in 1958 Ingrow Juniors, which vied with Riddlesden as the most succesful in terms of 11+ passes was achieved 63 passes out of 190 (Five forms of about 38), ie about 33%. But I think the average pass rate then was no more than max 25%. Of those 63 Ingrow passes, all the 38 'A' stream (Miss Whitakers)passed, and 5 from 'C' stream (Miss Rileys), meaning about 20 of 'B' stream (Mr Silverwoods) passed. This of course includes the girls as well.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I always understood that the first form was made up as follows;- County Minor holders went into 1A: those with a Drake and Tonson scholarship,a local foundation, into 1B, and 1C consisted of boys who passed an entrance exam and their parents paid something towards their schooling. After the first year, those reasonably good at French went into 2A and did Latin: the next group went into 2B and did German; and those who did not do well at French went into 2C and continued with French through to School Certificate. Does my memory serve me correctly ?
As for the proportion of Keighley boys who got to the Grammar School; in 1941 there were only two of us from Highfield who got C.M,s ,Jeff Scott and myself (plus two girls). In 1943 my brother, Michael, was the only one from Highfield to get a C.M.
As for an earlier entry stressing the importance of the local council lottery in establishing your educational future,I submit that the parental lottery was far more important.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) IOM

What then was the 11+ exam, is that the 'entrance exam' you mention? I was under the impression that all school fees were free no matter how one gained entrance to KBGS.

I also thought education was free, I cannot imagine my father contributing anything in the way of cash towards my education

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

I believe that it was the Attlee government that introduced the system Trevor and John are familiar with, shortly after WW2. Prior to that there would have been some system of fees, and scholarships funded by benefactors and bequests. You'd need one of the more senior contributors to fill out the details of how this worked though.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds