KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drummers - grace a "the ladder problem"

Shaun Pye is responsible for the "deviation, hesitation" and downright irrelevance of introducing drummers to a serious scientific conundrum.
Any road up and just a minute,(I'm only keyboarding this to get way from Norman Tebbit on "Any Questions") it seemed only fair to the ladder conundrum that a new post for the drummer theme (contradiction in terms)be started.
As a young self-taught (hopeful) drummer in the 3rd form (Year 9)at KBGS, I was delighted to be asked by a 6th former if I wanted to join the rehearsals of a group of young musicians (most current or ex-kbgs). I joined and never looked back - but my purpose of this posting is to provoke recollections from old Keighlians of their experiences of local (Aire-Worth or wider)bands of the '50s - ie pre-rock and usually "dance-hall wallpaper". I recall a small 3 or 4 piece (take your pick) band led by drummer, Joe Keneally, a worshipper at St Annes, who provided mainly Old Tyme (no parsley!) dancing for many grateful couples.He was only too willing to pass on his advice and experience.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Drummers - grace a "the ladder problem"

I do remember Terry playing drums at Kirkudbright, 1959? (?) Harrison was playing tea chest base.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

What if there's a skiffle revival? I haven't seen a tea chest for years!

I think the bass player would have been Jimmy Harrison, younger brother of Dave the Head Prefect in the '58 school photograph directly behind Nev.
Jimmy played rhythm guitar in the Rockin' Spartans who I frequently 'roadied' for so I could get into the venues free. Other members of that band were former KBGSers, Ian Sanderson & Tony Woodwiss. I believe Jimmy went on to be an acoustic folkie, a bit like meself!
It's spookie that IW should raise skiffle as only 2 days ago I was explaining to my musician friends here what it was all about, they appear not to have had skiffle here in Oz. It was a fantastic time!

The "(?) Harrison" was Dave Harrison. The only "real" musician in that Kirky Skiffle was John Topham who would play on guitar anything you could hum.

The one I remember best was the Ambassadors. I knew two of the members, Bobby Pickles the leader and Billy Taylor, a neighbour. They played around the area in the early 50's, at local Cons and local dances and were very good. The local history web site ran a similar posting a year or two ago.MYV6Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Mea Culpa, Terry. However, you forgot to include "repetition" which is surprising given that we're talking about drummers. Who can remember the name of the drummer with Brian and the Vigilantes, or any of their names come to that. A prize for the first correct answer (would a ladder be appropriate?).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

My uncle played drums in the late 50's / early 60's. He was resident with a small band at the Queens Hotel [adjacent to the railway station]. He then played gigs round the area with an accordian player. I was amazed to find them playing at a NALGO social I once attended. He ended his "career" playing in Haworth somewhere. I'm desperately trying to remember their stage name.

Ambassadors: wasn't the pianist called Bobby Sugden [senior]?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

I've noticed the tern NALGO on the Keighleynet website photographs - what is/was NALGO?

National
Association of
Local
Government
Officers

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) Keighley

Hi Peter- I can't help with the Ambassador pianist, but your other query-was that Billy Normington and his group? Billy played the piano-he lived up Fell Lane way.This was late 40s early 50s.I'm fairly sure that he played at the hotel mentioned. cheers.

The pianist in The Ambassadors in the ' 50s was the father of Robert (Bob) Sugden (kbgs 1952-60)(who took up clarinet and tenor sax). A member of the Carnegie Library staff was a drummer who played locally named John Normington. Any connection with Billy Normington?

Hi Terry, I'm not sure about that. Billy was an old man to me when I was about 16-17. I suppose he might have been in his 50s or 60s then and had a great sense of humour.Maybe he was the father or uncle of your man. cheers.