KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KDG26

It was good to view the photo of KBG26 on the Buses at Skipton Transport Festival part of this site.This bus brings back many memories for me.
Whenever we finished at 12/15 a.m. we raced along Lord St. to catch the 12/20 a.m.UFell Lane bus which stopped outside Willis Walkers. A huge contingent of KBGS pupils piled on and tried to "bag" the rear bench seat upstairs. This was for a reason because at the top of Goulbourne St. more often than not the Bus in question had to stop to turn right into Victoria Rd. and having a "Crash box" gave all the KBGS lads time to leap off the rear platform before the Bus made its scheduled stop opposite Holy croft Infants school.
Also I remember reading the Vernons pools adverts on those Buses. Win £70000- A Kings ransom in those days!Today that amount would`nt even buy a back to back in Haworth.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Re: KDG26

I well remember the top deck of these Buses had to have regular paint make overs re-the ceilings being covered in nicotine stains.I can still remember the smell of the new paint! White as opposed to brown Obviously these were times before the anti-smoking lobby made its presence felt.

ce felt.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

I have a much stronger recollection of the smell of stale smoke than fresh paint, although that sort of thing never seemed to bother anyone in those days did it?
With regard to the "King's Ransom", potential pools win, there was a lad called Blezzard (or Bleazard, or something similar) in the same form as myself in year 1, whose father was (allegedly) a member of a small syndicate who'd actually won the said amount. Does anyone else remember him?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Glasses? Brylcreme? Spiky haircut? Didn't know he was minted though...

It wasn't "Blenkhorn" was it?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

No there was definitely a Dave Blezzard, I can picture him vaguely, indeed with dark spiky hair, larger than average size. Might have been from Haworth area

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Description sounds right, Allan, but it was the Cravens who were minted(d-d-d-d-licious!)
Never knew where he hailed from, Brian, but I thought his name was Philip or Anthony, not Dave.
I remember the name Blenkhorn but not the individual of that name, Marcus. Definitely not the pools winner's lad though.

I don't remember a Blezzard from Haworth

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

You don't remember one from anywhere!

True, I barely remember a Craven or a Beetroot

Current location (optional) Haworth now Blue Mountains in Australia