KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Appreciation Page

Along with other posters, previously I have registered criticisms of school and staff. There is a danger that one's school recollections are all in the negative, even though the individual has positive benefits to list - if only they were recognised and admitted. Perhaps this posting will give individuals the opportunity to register the benefits they (with hindsight) admit to gaining at kbgs ("value-added" to quote the Ofsted jargon)i.e. not just mere lists of "O" and "A" achievement and HE admitance.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Appreciation Page

OK Terry. Nobody's taken you up on this one so I'll start the ball rolling though I'm sure these plaudits have been registered already in other threads -
"Joe" for knowing how to teach French by direct method, a man ahead of his time in this respect.
Hughes (Head of Maths from 1963-ish) for knowing how to teach rather than just telling and expecting kids to learn.
Hem(m)ingway (Chemistry) for his imaginative ideas on how to run the astronomy club.
And ........... Susan for being better than the threat of Joe's wrath at ensuring attendance.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Thanks, Shaun.
What I appreciated - even when I was there - were the examples set by individual teachers.
I single out Wilbur, who, although I disagreed with his politics, displayed how we should form and defend our views based on our sincerely held beliefs. He impressed me greatly with his corrupted quotation "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - and that has kept me going many times when I thought I was defeated.
On the cricket field, Frank Wellock upgraded my thinking - I always gave my best - but he taught me how to make the best of my worst.
I owe a lot to my school experiences on the rugby field - and, everything else taken into account, I think it was the House competitions against class mates and school team mates that taught me much about how to contend with superior odds and use opportunity.
Although I developed (outside school) a sense of responsibility and concern for others (albeit qualities in pupils recognised by the school), I don't think the school actively did much to inculcate this.( In this respect it anticipated thatcherism).
However, I do appreciate that without the experiences I had at KBGS and the subsequent spin-offs my life would have been infinitely impoverished.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Well among those from whom I benefitted were Ben Tren, who first got me interested in Chemistry, later continued by Stoker. I've had a career of it since.
I always enjoyed Percys English, had him for three years, and of course he ran the Railway Society.
Now Ive always been fascinated by , and enjoyed looking at maps. I put this down to Vince and his drilling into us the 'Key to 1in Ordnance Survey Map'
Finally the softly spoken Sam Riley(schoolfriend of my mothers and once engaged to Mollie Sugden). Happy memories of his teaching us 'Kundts Tube'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral