KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
J Victor Wilson RIP

Most of us lads that followed Yorkshire cricket in the 50's and 60's will be saddened by the death of Vic Wilson, at the age of 87. He made his debut in 1946 and in succeeding Ronnie Burnet in 1960 (at age 39), he was Yorkshires first professional captain. and retained the title won the previous year, coming second the following year and winning again in 1962.
He played for Yorkshire 477 times and scored 29 centuries, scored 20548 runs at an average of 31.
He is 11th in the aggregate run scorers for the County, and fifth in the list of catchers (520), being a brilliant slip fielder.
He famously sent Fred Trueman (in his prime) home for for turning up late for a match!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: J Victor Wilson RIP

I watched Vic Wilson's side quite often during that period and, in my memory, watching cricket at Park Avenue was a sign that all was right with the world. It was usually Park Avenue because it was much easier access than Headingley. I think I went with Brian on a few occasions and seem to recall him recording the proceedings in a little scorebook (or was that someone else?) That team was a pleasure to watch especially the spinner, Don Wilson, and, despite having the country's pre-eminent fast bowler, they rattled through the overs at a rate that would put today's bowlers to shame.
What I find amazing though, Brian, is that you have all that data about Vic Wilson at your finger(s)tips. Do you still have your little scorebook or do you simply remember it?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

I had a great admiration for Vic Wilson. He was in the Yorkshire team at Park Avenue at the first match I saw there - against Surrey in the season 1949. He was a fixture there at first wicket until he retired.I was delighted that he captained Yorkshire the season after "passenger" captain Ronnie Burnet had shown that with discipline Yorkshire had the talent to win championships. He was undemonstrative on the field and to the spectator he came over as unimpassioned. But he couldn't have led Yorkshire to success without an enthusiasm for winning. As first professional captain, he showed his peers how to win - not only matches but championships. There were not many in the 40's and 50's who made it into the Yorkshire side who had not come from the West Riding leagues - but Vic Wilson did - and with acclaim. Along with Burnet, he paved the way for the successes of Brian Close, the wiliest and most attacking of Yorkshire's captains.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Shaun, Im afraid I dont have such a good memory. I cribbed the stats from his obit in the Daily Telegraph ! You are right I had a small green cricket scorebook. You may I was 'scorer' for Knowle Park Congs second team, and also played a few games. We won the second teams 'cup' , and I have a small shield to prove it.
Some of you may know my company is based in Headingley , and I work there two days a week, staying a night over. I have done this for six years.
Last week for the first time I stayed in the Headingley Lodges, all rooms named after a famous Yorkshire player, old or new. I got Phil Carrick !
The rooms are used as corporate entertaining suites during test matches, as they all have a balcony overlooking the ground. It brought back happy memories of 'Fred' steaming in from the Kirkstall Rd end, an dhim finishing off the Aussies on the third day.
Was it 1962/3 or thereabouts ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral