KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Barbers

Yes Sam ,Adrian is till cutting hair at the top of Lawkholme Lane except now he is the boss.
I go there regularly and pay 6.50. What was the price all those years ago?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

2s adults, 1s kids I think.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

I think we paid 2/6d which was expensive compared with our local barber who charged 1/- for the regular all-off cut

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Gilsland -Cumbria

I know the barber's shop referred to in the street next to the Drill Hall used by the Duke of Wellington's. I got my money's worth there while I still could. As for the shilling crop, I had mine done as a young'un at the barber's shop on Bfd Rd between Marlborough St and "the park". It was someone else's coining - but I like the soubriquet for the local shilling barber "Bob Orloff". The Bfd Rd shop was inundated with fair workers during Gala week and they invariably had thick, greasy hair - to avoid cutting their hair and losing his regulars, the barber posted a notice "Haircutting by appointment only". This confused lots of Lawkholme/Eastwood locals and they went without a crop till the fair had gone.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

My dad used to get his hair cut once a week, or once a fortneet if he were strapped.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Hi David-- your local barber would have been Vernon Daley, who had one style-short back and sides eh? Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Folk were spoiled for choice in Haworth, Birt Feather on Main Street with his cheap short back n sides, and Clarrie someone or other on Mill Hey who was a Gents Hairdresser and you paid more for it. I wasn't one of those spoiled folk tho', my dad also used to cut my hair with a pair of hand sheers that he used to give a (what he liked to think) professional flick at the end of the run that ripped hair out.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

Ah! Birt Feather.. The memories..I remember a chap who was a regular at Birt's that had a 'condition'. He couldn't sit still but rather swung his upper torso in a circular motion. It was a source of entertainment watching Birt following him around the circle trying to cut his hair.

Regarding the barber in Drill Street. I seem to remember that he disappeared without trace about 20 (or more)years ago. The shop remained closed and untouched until his relatives had him declared deceased and presumably sold it off, along with several other properties he owned in the area. Kerching! Berhaps Mr Boddy could check this out with Adrian round the corner on his next visit?

The barber who went missing was Malcolm Berry, also ex KBGS. He was in my class in 1947.There was a lot of publicity at the time.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Just found it in the archives, Bill. Thanks. In Silsden, we had three barbers of note. Tom Lowis was a gaunt droll old bugger. Johnny Lythe used to operate a production line. His scary wife used to do the heavy duty work, then you swopped chairs and Johnny did a sort of damage limitation exercise, then slapped on some foul gunk. When the ordeal was over you got a sweet. In pre KBGS days he'd kindly see me safely across the road. I'd wait till he'd gone back in, then recross Skipton Road back to the side I lived on.
Then there was Mr Wade, who, for some reason, had spent some time in "Menston" and was therefore known as "mad Wade". Schoolboy imagination decided that he had been incarcerated because of homicidal use of the tools of his trade. Cut, blood, artery, spurt, as M. Palin memorably said. Those who had the courage to enter his premises were rewarded by a pile of "adult" books beneath one of the seats.

Malcolm Berry

The mystery of his disappearance has never been solved.
Various theories were put forward but nothing was proved

The sketchy story is covered in http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4133858.stm

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) Keighley

The barber on Mill Hey in Haworth was Clarrie Holmes ,a rather flambouyant figure with a sports car and a perm .My cousins Peter and Michael (Jim) Green had their hair cut there .
He had an assistant called Darcy who was a ladies man and told us tales of encounters in the barber's chair with his various girlfriends.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Gilsland -Cumbria

"Clarrie Holmes."
I got my first 'semi- crew cut' there..

I recall the trouble I was in when I arrived home with something other than the standard 'Feather's' short back and sides.

I owe Clarrie a debt of gratitude for helping me make one of the first steps on the way to my independence.

Arthur,

I must apologise for breaking the bridge on your violin at the bus stop before school one morning

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

All is forgiven John..My Dad was quite pleased..:)