KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Connections

Some of you may recall the old TV programme Connections hosted by James Burke, which according to Wikipedia, “ first aired in 1978. It …demonstrates how various discoveries, scientific achievements, and historical world events built off one another in an interconnected way to bring about particular aspects of modern technology.” While the presenter was sometimes annoying, the concept was interesting.

Here’s a very modest twist to this idea, based on the Summer 1970 Keighlian magazine, which was sent to me by Peter Watthey, son of A E Watthey. This one magazine features the following entries, which seem to have several serendipitous coincidences or links with future readers of kbgs.com

1. Reports the leaving of A E Watthey and the appointment of the new headmaster L G Clarke. Over 35 years later Peter Watthey would send me the magazine.
2. Reports news sent from Neville Hind, my father’s headmaster.
3. Reports that Asa Briggs was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Over 35 years later Brian R Moate would show me a letter from Prof. Briggs about kbgs.com.
4. Reports that Ian Dewhirst (whose newspaper articles of three decades later would feature in this website) had been invited to the editorial board of OBIS, a regional magazine. On the board is J J Waddington-Feather, another kbgs.com poster.
5. Reports the birth of a daughter and son (twins?) to Terry Marston, a regular poster on kbgs.com
6. Reports the marriage of Trevor Pickles, another regular poster on kbgs.com, to “Miss Norma Christie (in Australia).”
7. Has an advertisement for BSc Operational Research in Computing at Leeds Polytechnic, the same course I took 15 years later even though I had never lived in Yorkshire before that.

Re: Connections

Whilst my series of connections is not quite as convoluted, it is nevertheless, quite fascinating.

I live in a small village in the Blue Mountains of Australia. By Yorkshire standards it would hardly rate as a hamlet. Recently a new family moved into the house next door, I introduced myself, the fellow had a strong Northern English accent. Not Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, but the odd thing was that he was actually Australian and had been born on the other side of the Mountains and had gone to England when he was 10. He is a retired Police Officer, but his first job was as an apprentice diesel mechanic with, wait for it, West Yorkshire Buses, based in, you've got it, Keighley. To top it all, he moved into the house on 1st August.

Now they are connections

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1961

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth