KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KBGS Hobbies

I was discussing hobbies with a colleague the other day, the crux was that hobbies make life worth living. Mine include boat building, but rarely sailing, gardening and house renovations.

What do the rest of you do with your spare time?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Re: KBGS Hobbies

What's spare time?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

John~ Are you into plant propogation?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

I mostly enjoy playing acoustic guitar but get great enjoyment also from calligraphy, photography, art (just viewing at this stage), good food & wine - not necessarily in that order!
I also enjoy producing superb Extra Virgin Olive Oil from my small (1 acre) grove.
I intend to try making my own acoustic guitar very soon and if my first attempt is reasonably successful I might even make more and try to sell them.
That lot should keep mee fairly busy for the foreseeable future.
Oh yes, we like to travel too!

OK! Here goes.
Playing the guitar too (finger picking) and consequently regrowing my broken nails. Ah we children of the sixties. Some day I'll have to admit that I'll never be any good.
Plus walking, birdwatching, some voluntary work in special educational needs and a trade union, listening to music and attending concerts, theatre and travel.
In my spare time I have a part-time job.
All of these activities were entered into in adulthood.
I wonder if anyone still maintains a hobby from his kbgs days.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Well, my hobby (also playing guitar) does date back to KBGS days when I discovered from Gerge Speller how to tune the guitar I'd owned since age eleven. I was seventeen when I finally learned how to tune it - at St Mark's youth club at Utley on a Friday night (youth club then across the road to the Roebuck for an underage pint). My hobby has turned into GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) so that now I have an awful lot of pre-war american ladder braced and resophonic instruments...which leads me to my next hobby ~ buying and selling them on ebay!

I suppose I should add guitar playing into my hobbies, I do have this "sort of" band where the only consistent players are my brother in law and I, plus anyone else who might be in the vicinity. From time to time I find myself playing either bass, drums or keyboard, and frequently doing most of the singing, unless someone with talent turns up and I get put back on to the bass. The band by the way is Felvik Thrust.

NOt really into propogration beyond growing the odd compost tomatato.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

So Duane Eddy has nothing to fear.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Just imagine Les DAwson on the guitar.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

When I saw what I had written, I had this mental picture of my geriatric band, my brother in law in a perpetual alcoholic fog, myself on walking sticks plus a lot of shakier blokes, then this morning I saw on the news a performance piece put together by this artist for the Sydney Biennale of a quartet of octagenarian grannies playing Sex Pistol covers. I didn't feel quite so bad although, our performance lacks a lot of the grannies' passion.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

I have gone through many different Hobbies, but s0me years ago took up flying after many years sailing. After fixed wing I took up helicoters and now get paid for ground support on the Helicopter which covers the cost of fixed wing flying. I keep current on both, even at 76 !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) app 1943 to 48

Current location (optional) Steeton now west wales

Talking of Duane Eddy, I thought he was a crap guitarist only able to play one-note melodies as per his vapid 'hits'. Well yesterday I happened upon him on Youtube playing a fingerstyle version of Cannonball Rag - wow, he was not too foul let me tell you - I was impressed. I guess playing that great stuff would not have got him into the pop charts though.