KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.



Forum: KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Thread Sticky Sticky Thread    
« | | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | »
Family Notices

This post has been created to track family notices (deaths mainly!) of Old Boys. To keep this tidy and not too cluttered, it would be useful to have one entry per event here, and any subsequent discussions of individuals can be done under a separate dedicated thread.


Barry McDonald

Barry McDonald (1952 -1957)
Barry died suddenly in his sleep earlier this year. He leaves a widow, Wendy, a daughter and son and 3 grandchildren. Barry was retired from lecturing at Abingdon College. He had maintained a lifelong interest in classic cars.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Family Notices

Very sad to hear of Barry's death. I hadn't seen him since 1957, when he was full of life, a great gymnast and a handsome devil with hair as black as a gypsy's. Barry was everyone's friend - what a pity we never kept in touch after leaving KBGS. I guess that almost always happens. Thanks, Terry, for the message.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) Melbourne

Tony Peart

An obituary of Tony Peart, a former English master who ran the Railway Society. Its taken from the website of the Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum. He was at KBGS from I think 58-62, certainly I had him for 3 years, and he was my form master in the first year. He was always known as 'Percy'. he passed away August or Sept 2006, the dreaded prostate cancer. (from Brian Moate.)
It is with deep sorrow that we report the death of Tony Peart who died on Friday 29th September in Doncaster Royal Infirmary after a long fight against cancer.

Mr Peart, or Tony to all who know him, was an influential character within the bus and rail preservation movements for many years. As far back as the 1950’s, when Tony was leading the Doncaster Grammar School Model Railway Society, he was supporting the bus preservation scene too. Indeed, he was also a staunch supporter of Doncaster’s trolleybus network, which sadly came to an end in 1963, and made many aware of the beauties and benefits of the trolleybus. There are still members at our museum today whose interest in trolleybuses Tony sparked in those early days.

Tony was a prominent figure in the Doncaster bus enthusiast circle and at a time when railway sheds were starting to close and railway enthusiasts were becoming frustrated, a group was formed to organise trips to bus and trolleybus depots in the area. This group became known as the Doncaster Omnibus & Light Railway Society (DO&LRS), a title deliberately designed to encompass all areas of bus, rail and light rail interests. As a co-founder of DO&LRS Tony become the Vice President of the group. With Tony’s involvement DO&LRS preserved five historic Doncaster Motorbuses and Doncaster’s last ever trolleybus, which all live at The Trolleybus Museum. Many members of DO&LRS played an instrumental role in the formation of The Trolleybus Museum and many early members are still involved with us today.

Tony had always had an undying love for vehicles with AEC engines. So much so that Tony’s biggest desire was always to preserve Doncaster Corporation Motorbus number 60, a pre-war example of an AEC bus. Unfortunately this never transpired but Tony was not deterred and he scoured the country looking for a similar example. Eventually finding an example in York, Tony purchased it and slowly and painstakingly restored this bus, number 64, into a pristine condition. Tony also purchased a Doncaster motorbus of his own, number 122, and having been significantly battered and bruised as a driver training bus, it too has been meticulously restored back to working condition. Tony traveled many thousands of miles each year with his buses parading them at bus rallies around the country. His buses are never seen in public if not in perfect condition. The effort he put in was almost always rewarded with a prize or two at each event he attended. Tony set the standard in bus preservation for many years and was a clear role model for anyone preserving a bus. Tony also had the foresight to buy a vast amount of spare parts for his vehicles when many examples were being scrapped in the 1970’s. This prudence not only enabled Tony to keep his two vehicles on the road but also allowed many other preservationists to acquire parts that simply wouldn’t still exist otherwise.

The thousands of miles travelled each year were not simply for self-pleasure. As he traveled, Tony spread the word about both The Trolleybus Museum and DO&LRS. Often carrying posters on his buses for our events he also handed out leaflets and encouraged others to attend our events. Tony also enabled others to travel the country with him to enjoy seeing other fine preserved vehicles, one of his regular passengers for many years being otherwise quite immobile.

As well as preserving his two buses Tony took the unusual step of taking sound recordings of many specific buses and railway locomotives. This has ensured that sounds from the day’s of silent films have not been lost. Some of these recordings have been used by filmmakers to add the correct sounds to silent footage to accurately recreate the scenes of yesteryear for the viewer and to ensure history is not forgotten.

Tony’s knowledge of transport history and the bus preservation scene was unbound. He had regular features in several nationally published transport heritage magazines. Through this work he continued to influence and educate others around the country as he championed the transport preservation movement. Money earnt from this work, and all work throughout his life, had been put back into his preservation work. As well as passionately supporting his own two buses, Tony was a member of many other transport groups and societies, all of whom require financial support.

Tony Peart was a widely renowned and respected authority on bus and railway preservation. He allocated all his life to recording transport history and was instrumental in preserving Doncaster’s transport heritage too. A friendly man who always had time to talk, Tony will forever be remembered for his everlasting and enduring commitment to transport heritage, he will be sorely missed.

John Stanley Bell

Found on the Web:

First published on Friday 11 August 2000:

John Stanley Bell - Champion of Keighley
by Alistair Shand

Tribute has been paid to one of Keighley's best-known figures - John Stanley Bell - who died on Saturday while walking in his beloved Yorkshire Dales.
Mr Bell, 74, had just set off walking from Dent with around a dozen fellow members of the Yorkshire Dales Society when he collapsed.

John Stanley Bell - of Bradley Drive, Silsden - was educated at Sutton County Primary School and then at the old Keighley Boys Grammar. After leaving school he worked as an apprentice engineer before embarking on a teaching career which spanned more than 30 years. He was head at Hothfield Street Junior School in Silsden for 18 years before taking early retirement in 1982.
In recognition of his work in education he was awarded a Master of Education honorary degree by Bradford University in 1976, and a year later became a member of the university's council. In 1998 he was appointed a pro-chancellor.
Mr Bell also devoted long and distinguished service to health and to local politics.
His health service work began in 1957 when he was co-opted on to the Keighley Hospitals House Committee. Later roles included the chairmanship of Airedale Community Health Council and the Health Authority. He joined the Labour Party in 1945 and served on the old Keighley Council from 1950 until 1974 and then on the former county council, which he chaired in 1975-76.
He was Keighley's youngest mayor - aged 33 - in 1960.
Mr Bell leaves a wife, Audrey, daughters Hilary and Rachel, a son Christopher and six grandchildren. The funeral service was held at Keighley Shared Parish Church yesterday afternoon.

Current location (optional) Singapore

Re: John Stanley Bell

This notice was published in the Keighley News. I have the clipping but no date - circa 1950?

Youth Leader Marries.

The marriage took place at Keighley Parish Church on Saturday of Mr John Stanley Bell, third son of Mr and Mrs William Bell of 14 Park Avenue, Sutton-in-Craven and Miss Audrey Hillary, only daughter of Mr and Mrs James Hillary, of 4 Aireview Terrace, Thwaites Brow Keighley. The bridegroom is a playing member of the Keighlians Rugby Club and is a teacher on the staff of the Sutton Primary School. Mr Bell has been connected with the local youth movement since its inauguration both as Speaker and Leader of the Young People's Fellowship and has been closely identified with Sutton Baptist Church. The bride has been a playing member of the St.Barnabas Church Dramatic Society, Keighley and has also been a Sunday School worker at St Barnabas Church. She has also been on the staff of Prince-Smith and Stells Ltd.
The bride, given away by her father, was attended by Miss Marjorie Hird. The Best Man was Leading Seaman Norman Bell, brother of the Bridegroom, home on leave, and the Groomsmen were Messers Edward E Hill, Alan Baker and Cameron Hill. The ceremony was performed by the Rev Canon Eric Treacy and after a reception the happy couple left for Llandudno. Among the large number of gifts is a handsome canteen of cutlery from the bride's colleagues at Burlington Shed and a fruit stand from the bridegroom's colleagues at Sutton Primary School.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: Family Notices

Re: Peter Fergusan Wilcock

A few may remember my good friend Peter Wilcock who attended KBGS for three years 1945-48 before leaving with his family for a life in Canada where he followed a career in medicine. He died at an early age but not before making his mark in the profession he chose to follow. This notice was published in 1976.

'Peter F Wilcock
1935 to 1976

Peter F Wilcock, Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, died on 27 October after an illness. Besides being with the Department of Pediatrics, Dr. Wilcock was on the active staff of the Charles Camsell Hospital and was the Pediatrician to the Hobbema and Duffield Indian Reserves.
Born in England, Dr. Wilcock received his High School education in Sherbrooke, Quebec. After matriculation, he won the Sir Edward Beatty Scolarship to Bishops University; at that university, he took honors courses in biology and chemistry, graduating in 1955 with a BSc degree. He then entered McGill University in Montreal to study medicine. He graduated in 1959. In 1964 and 1965, Dr Wilcock received his Certificate in Pediatrics from Royal College and Fellowship in Royal College of Physicians of Canada respectively.
Dr Wilcock interned during 1959-60 at Hamilton General Hospital and he became an Assistant Resident at Montreal General Hospital in 1960. Coming to the University of Alberta Hospital in 1961, he served as an Associate and a Senior Resident until 1963. During 1963-64 he was with the SHO Professional Unit [R>S> Illingworth] at Sheffield Children's Hospital: during 1964 -65 he worked in Pathology at the Toronto Sich Children's Hospital. In 1965, Dr Wilcock took up practice in General Pediatrics here in Edmonton and was at the same time a Clinical Instructor in the University's Department of Pediatrics.'

After Peter died, a library at the Charles Camsell Hospital in Edmonton was named after him. At the ceremony which marked the naming of the Library, the following [edited] tribute was made, by E.E. McCoy MD

'Dr Peter Wilcock Associated Professor of Pediatrics died on October 27 1976. Dr Wilcock was born in Sutton-in-Craven, Yorks, England in 1935.... [then follows a resume of his career] Peter became noted as an outstanding teacher and clinician at the Charles Camsell Hospital.

Not long after joing the staff he was found to have chronic renal disease which after a short time forced him to undergo haemo-dialysis. Despite this, he maintained his teaching commitments even though at times he had o drag himself around.
Peter underwnt a successful renal transplant and was able to resume a full teaching and clinical load. The students commented on his excellent training sessions at the C> C Hospital. In 1975 peter suffered the first of a series of coronary occlusions. He recovered and was back teaching when he had a second occlusion. This dampened his plans to take a sabbatical year where he planned to study coomunity pediatrics at the University of Rochester. He died following another coronory occlusion.
In addition to his outstanding teaching ability, Peter was an inspiration to us of a man who was determined to continue the struggle whatever the odds. He was a man of courage whom we deeply miss. He is survived by his wife Perlea and three daughters, Linda, Andrea and Cynthia.'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: Family Notices

Re Tony Peart
I remeber Tony well because he used to make great use of 'my' metalwork room. If he ever had cause to keep a pupil in for bad behaviour he used to bring them to the metalwork room, give them a steam whistle from some locomotive and some emery cloth and get them to clean them up. He had boys queuing to be kept in!
At Kirkcudbright he used to disappear every morning and return in time for the evening meal laden with pickings from closed railway stations. I remember sheaves of documents and at least one station clock.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-48

Current location (optional) Keighley.

Re: Family Notices

It is with great regret that we record the passing of Derek Mosey, at Morecambe, on Monday 24 November, 2008. He was the brother of Stuart and the late Don Mosey.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Re: Family Notices Derek Mosey

Obit for Derek Moseyhere.

Re: Family Notices (Jim Hall)

I am sorry to tell you all that Jim Hall has passed away at the far too young age of 62...

See this thread.

Re: Family Notices (Ken Brown)

A former Cowling man, Ken Brown, has died at the age of 64...

My Brother

I am sorry to have to report that my brother , Peter Nichols,has died in Mexico after a brief illness.We were last together at the reunion in September last year. He loved his time at the school and was a proud Old Keighlian.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Re: My Brother

Mike, sorry to hear this, my condolences.

Was he based in Mexico? I was wondering why we had hits from Mexico, and was about to write a post to ask.


Re: My Brother

Mike, I was so sorry to learn of your brother Peter's recent death in Mexico. I had only met him on two occasions, the 2007 and 2009 Reunions at Utley, and always found him 'good to talk to'. A gentle man and a 'gentleman'! David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: My Brother

Mike, I've just finally caught up with the various threads after getting back from Australia. Gill and I are truly sorry to learn that the shocking news you received the day we came to see you in Sassafras had this awful outcome.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58


See this entry.

Re: My Brother

Mike - I was very sad to read of Peter's death.It was very sudden as alas it often is. I only just saw this since I don't seem to visit this site very often these days

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Re: My Brother

I copy an e-mail I received yesterday from J J Waddington- Feather:
I have some rather sad news to tell you. My brother George died very suddenly with a brain haemorrhage yesterday morning. I'd been speaking to him only two days before and he seemed all right apart from the usual aches and pains. Apparently he started with a headache on Sunday morning which grew worse, until his wife, Meriel, called an ambulance. He lost consciousness shortly afterwards and never recovered and a scan showed widespread bleeding in his brain. He'd have been 75 on Friday.
George led a very full and useful life. Over the years, he and his wife fostered over 200 neglected or abused children and he took an active part in college life when he lectured at Bicton Farm Institute. He also completed an extensive local history of the Bicton family and their estate on which the Institute
stood, and which now resides in the local library archives.
Earlier in life, he'd been a first class rugby player, playing for the army and, like myself, winning a county cap for Sussex in the army when we were both stationed in Sussex in the Intelligence Corps. Unlike myself, he was also a very practical man and built an extension to his first home. He also
became an expert in his field of breeding and rearing tortoises and show birds. Above all he was a very loving husband and father, and a lifelong
friend as a brother.

Michael "Slim" Easrwood

EASTWOOD Michael John (Slim) On May 10, peacefully at home, aged 71 years. Beloved husband of Shirley, much loved father of Karen, Nigel, Nathan and Tracy, a loving father in law, grandad and brother of Nickolas. The funeral service will be held on Friday May 21 at 1.30pm at The Knowle followed by interment at Tarn Moor Memorial Woodland, Gargrave Road, Skipton. Donations to the British Heart Foundation.

Extract from Keighley News

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Re: Family Notices

Pennington, David Rigg. May 22nd 2010 at Spring Mount Reside ntial Home, Heaton, Bradford. Aged 72 years.....
Extract from "The Keighley News"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

« | | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | »