KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
class members

thanks to Brian Moate for his reply.
However I was in 1C, 2C then 3B classes.
I seem to remember Ernest Sellers, Peter Howarth,
a McVay and a Patterson. Also a Loveday and Seymore.
I am looking for these class registers.
I think my list started with Acton. It all seems such a long time ago now. It was in the first year of Watthey's reign.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) rhos on sea

Re: class members

I remember all the individuals you mention, Malcolm, except Loveday and Sellars. Peter Haworth (what a character he was! - doing a "repeat" first year, along with 2 others as I recall)and McVeigh(whose first name is long forgotten, if ever disclosed)were definitely in 1C. Stephen Seymour wasn't, but was a fellow minnion on my dinner table in those distant Municipal Hall days. Patterson (Colin?), I think was a tall, bespectacled lad from another form, with whom I struck up a casual,"playground" friendship (probably because his sense of humour appealed to me). David and Marcus must remember some of these characters.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Stephen Seymour was one of our gang from Ingrow Juniors, his mother taught there. Smallish lad. I vaguely remember Patterson, as Brian C. has described.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

The McVeigh referred to in this correspondence would have been either Robert or Stuart, the younger brothers of Peter McVeigh who was a prefect in the mid-1950s.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 51-58

Current location (optional) Cottingham

"Stuart" seems to jog the memory cells. Yes, I think it was probably Stuart McVeigh.

He lived at Riddlesden, quite near to Beaky Birch who used to give him a hard time, frequently comparing Stuart's mathematical prowess unfavourably with that of his elder brother(s).

Yes, Brian, I think McVeigh's name was Stuart, but I think the victim of Birch's bullying was me and not McVeigh, unless he got it too. Birch seemed to delight in comparing me with my elder brothers, both of whom were whizzes at maths. However, my strengths were geography, history and art. I always flunked maths at school and am sure that was down to Birch, because actually now I can do quick calculations as fast as somebody with a calculator. I also lived at Riddlesden, but on top of the hill,not on Bradford Road. When I saw Birch's photograph had just been posted, the sight of him still troubled me. Prut was a pedant and they were all bullies in their own way, but Birch was something else. I suppose that's how it was in those days and that was how they controlled us.

I'd quite forgotten Pete Howarth until his name cropped up here and it's just 50 years since we started in 1C. Pete Howarth's dad, if I remember correctly, had a biscuit stall on the Keighley market and Pete was the spit of him. I have always remembered "Marcus" Felvus and Brian Craven, even before this site became established. There was also Brian Entwistle and was there a very tall chap called Channon? Oh dear, the grey matter's not calling things up very well these days!

The other name that comes to mind is Bingley - can't remember his Christian name. I think he lived down Dalton Lane and I remember him because he took Cullingford's hikes very seriously and always appeared with cooking equipment etc.

Current location (optional) Exeter

I think Bingley's name may also have been David, David, but I'm far from sure.
I'm told by Mike Sharpe who, like Howarth, hailed from Farnhill, that Pete Howarth's father was also proprietor of a shop cum jam-making enterprise in the village. It seems he got around a bit!

Too little detail !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I think I was in 1c.Was I?

I can't remember if you were in 1C or not Alan, but earlier on the thread, there was mention of Beaky's bullying, let me tell you, I was the one who copped it the most, finishing 29 out of 29 for maths. Odd because the following year with a new teacher, Crowther, I came 1st=

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Alan , I thought you were in Percy Pearts form in the first year, (as was I) it was 1A down on the bottom corridor (B6?) In the second year you were certainly 2L1 (doing Latin with Gus) as I can remember the whole form list!

Current location (optional) Wirral

I doubt I was in 1A, Brian. 1c has a ring to it in my fading memory.I recall hating going down into the basement to do woodwork, absolutely hated it,but then again, who enjoyed it? McVeigh definitely rings a bell.I did Latin with Gus,yes,but I could have been in 1c still?Dear Gus.Brought back memories seeing that photo of Percy Peart and Gus.Also,BOWEN!!! Now,what DID he teach?English? Beaky.......doesn't bear to think about it too much. As for playing rugby down at Lawkholme and those baths....scarred me for life.

This is all getting a bit Pythonesque - "I got the worst treatment from Beaky"... "No, I did". I suppose it speaks volumes for the bloke's methods of teaching and keeping order. Don't want to speak too much ill of the dead, but he certainly made my life a misery all year. After 1C it was 2F and I remember having Crowther, who was much more amenable. I particularly remember that his fingers were tangerine brown through heavy smoking. Yes, I think Alan Britten was one of the '58 intake of 1C, but as we all splintered into groups within the class it's easy to forget individuals, particularly after all this time. I must be unusual perhaps, because I found woodwork a therapeutic break from heavy subjects, though Bill Midgley could lose his cool at times and use pieces of timber as missiles. One day a pupil called Poulton, or was it Paulton, forgot that one shouldn't chisel towards oneself and stuck a chisel somewhere in his wrist, causing much red stuff. He got a good clouting for his stupidity before being taken for first aid. Metal work - I really disliked that. |It was woebetide anyone who unwittingly got the forge to backdraught with the consequent choking fumes spreading all over the place. Alan's reference to rugby at Lawkholme and those rotten huge baths brought it all back.

Current location (optional) Exeter

I think that the unfortunate self-mutilating pupil was probably Dave Poulton, who later became a teacher.

Current location (optional) leeds

Not of woodwork, one presumes! I remember the lad Poulton, but not the chisel incident. (I was too closely involved myself with similar mishandling of a plane to have derived much amusement from Poulton's distress!) I do recall Beaky (Yes, him again!)having Poulton "model" the new school uniform in front of the class, he being among the first of us to acquire it.
To settle Alan Britten's, "Was I in 1C?" query, I can tell you quite categorically, Alan, that you were and that Bowen was the bloke who taught us English. I remember specifically, because you and I were among the group promoted from the C to the A form at the end of year 1. (For the record, the others were Ken Andrews, Dave Foulger, Kevin Hawkins, the late John Haygarth and Keith Lowcock.)

Alan, we didn't do Latin until second year and there were two forms 2L1 and 2L2. I accept however you may not have been in the same form as me in the first year so you may well have been in 1C. The 'brightest' of the first year were put into 2L1 (!) and the 'next' best lot into 2L2, the second latin form .

Yes,I'm aware we didn't do Latin until the second year. amo, amas, amat, and all that. Keith Lowcock, I remember him...a gentle, quiet, soul.And of course Haggis, as he was affectionately called for a while.He was a good mate, and it shocks me still that he's no longer around.KBGS' answer to Larry Olivier...or perhaps Alan Bates!Fortunately I can't remember Beaky's style at all, a good thing perhaps.

Alan - I can certainly remember you complaining about Beaky. And Prut of course, of whom you did a passable imitation.

I remember Beaky reminiscing about when he was a lad at kbgs, he told us how he was in class when a paper boy went past in the street shouting out, "Death of Captain Scott". I still hated him, but wondered at the time whether or not he was the victim of a similar Teacher

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Although I was at KBGS long before them, I knew of the McVeighs and that Peter & Robert became Methodist Ministers.

This week I have received the following from another Methodist Minister the Rev Dr Albert Mosley who in 1943 left KBGS for Trinity College, Cambridge.

Peter McVeigh was at Headingley 1958-61, then was minister in Swansea 1961-67 and Harrow 1967-75 and then he resigned from the ministry.
Robert McVeigh was training for the ministry at Headingley College in 1968 but left the ministry in 1973.

I understand that Peter became a teacher - does anyone have any later info. on either ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 37-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

David, Peter now lives in Manchester. I do have his address if you want to get in touch with him. I shall be away for the next week but you could get a message to me via Chris in Singapore, which I'll answer after 20th September.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 51-58

Robert McVeigh trained as a teacher at Borough Road College on first leaving KBGS.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

A question for David Stowell ............. When you next contact Dr Albert Mosley, ask him what happened to his younger brother Jack. I haven't heard anything of him for years. I 'ushed' at Jacks wedding and it would be great to re-establish contact.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

David(Stowell)- I assume this is Rev Albert W Mosley, who was Minister at Lund Park Methodist Church, Malsis Road in the late 50's. I was 'brought up' through that Sunday School/Church (later becoming its organist) and remember him well (other forumites like John Ackroyd will also) I didn't know he was also formerly at KBGS.
I would very much like to make contact with him also, if you have an email or home address for him. I gues she must be in hi 80's now. Please email me at brianmoate@hotmail.com

Apologies for not checking my typing in that message !
Monday morningitis !

Brian,
If you care to look up the photograph of the !st XV 1940-41 posted in the 'Sports' section, you'll find Albert Mosely on the back row.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Albert recently posted in the guestbook, and his email address is listed there.

Just to add, Albert and my father went to St John's Methodist Church, and were in the Sunday School and YPF together. So it's very nice to establish contact.

And to add again...I found out that Henry Bird used to live in the same street as I did in Singapore (King Albert Park). Around 30 years separated us though.

sorry I have come late to this topic.Robert Mcveigh was my best friend at Parkwood Juniors and in the early years at kbgs.He was definately in 1c.He lived at Stockbridge not Riddlesden,on Colenso Grove.I used to meet him at the end of Aireworth Road and we walked to school through Vic.Park.In the later years at kbgs. we drifted apart,being in different forms.I was surprised when I learned he had become a minister as when I knew him he had shown no paticular religious beliefs.If anybody ever learns of his whereabouts I would love to know.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-1961

Current location (optional) filey

Bill, I have his brother's address if you want it - I'm sure you can get in touch that way. My email address is under the 'Reunion' heading on the KBGS Home Page.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Sorry Doug I have just seen your reply.I cannot find your email address where you specified.Is there any chance of you emailing the brothers address to harleywharley@aol.com.Thanks for your help

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 54-61

Current location (optional) filey

Sorry, Bill, between my offer and your reply the 'Reunion' notice has been changed (at my request) and I see it no longer contains my email address! Yes, I will indeed let you have Robert's brother's address.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

I have been requested by a colleague of Peter McVeigh during ministry training - Allen Kemp - if you still have contact details we would be grateful
Andy

Andy, if you send me your email address I'll let you have the last postal address I have for Peter McVeigh.

Doug

a.d.thompson@hull.ac.uk

I was apupil of Birch's and was under-achieving mightily until one day in front of the whole class he declared me 'Namby-pamby' and 'You couldn't say boo to a goose'. I had no idea what either comment meant but felt humliated and distraught and vowed never to give him chance to speak like that to me again.
I moved quickly up from 23rd to the top five being first several times. He used to say then, 'If Seeley can do it, so can you.' which was still an insult and I would sneer behind my hand.
On reflection, since, I retook the exam 25 years later, without revision, for fun, and got an 'A' and I went on to be Maths advisory teacher for Bradford Schools I think he knew his man and how to get results. On long view reflection I liked the man and his way of teachimg.