KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Geoff Walker

Hi Sam,
Moatie was right. These days I try to run a university in London! I still have my copy of the 1945 Scripture Prize (Betjamin's Collected Poems - sad or what?) and somewhere among the momorabilia on this site you cane see a copy of Speech Day (1964?) which lists thee and me as joint recipients of the said prize. It would be great to catch up - my email is geoffrey,walker@roehampton.ac.uk. By the way, I spent a verfy enjoyable evening last night at Sutton Amateurs with Dave Baldwin, Ray Land and John (Ackers) Ackroyd watching Dave Boddy's production of 'Sounds of the 80s'. What's the connection between - Sam Smales,winkle-pickers, Humphrey Head and a farm yard?

Cheers, Geoff

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-67

Oops I got caught out there , it wasnt in 1945 that you shared the scripture prize !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Bill -yes I am Malcolm's young??? brother
Geoff -good to hear from you will be in touch ,sorry cannot recall the connection apart from winklepickers

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Cross Roads now Cumbria

Thanks Geoff but the musical was called Back To The 80's but you were nearly there. Good to see all the boys there even if Ackers couldn't get to the pub quick enough.
Good to hear you're still about David and yes I remember 2G and 3G.(do you have any photos?) I seem to remember pestering you to put a group together - didn't you play guitar?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

David Boddy

Glad to see you are still an impressario
Yes I did try to play the guitar but failed miserably
I did have a few photos but several house moves seems to have resulted in their loss but I'll keep looking .
Does John Ackroyd remeber the time I set his hair on fire in Fingers Emery's class

Yes I do.One of my memories of you and Barras.Also well remember the farm-yard and the language at Humphrey Head plus the wrath of Wilby and Ellis.It was you who introduced "the gang etc" to the Frontierland Pub for a well earned " bucket "of beer

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

Re: Humphrey head

Hi John -you seem to have a better memory than me.
Ican recall that we all had a splendid time in Morecambe and endured a route march back to camp .
I think we sang a few rugby songs to keep our spirits up .
The biologists were quieter than the geographers but what can you expect from guys who examined voles for fleas

The long-march remains etched in my memory as it does for Ackers. We'd been painting the town red in Morecambe (is that an oxymoron?)and Wilby and Ellis had fixed it for us to leg it back to HH from Alithwaite Station via a farm yard which bore a close resemblance to Passchendael. We were high on booze (it didn't take much in those days)and Maoist rhetoric (amazing how clever we were in those days)and combined phrases from the Beloved Chairman with what my late mother would have termed 'the language of the gutter'. As a result we were given a dressing down by W&E for political incorrectness and the use of foul language. I seem to recall that you, Sam, were in the van!