KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keighlian Team photographs

When I visited the Keighley Rugby Club at Utley in 1966 I was so excited to see the images on the wall of the various teams which included many of the lads I was at KBGS with - Kev McGee, Dave Lightowler, David Jeans etc etc. Has anyone thought of getting copies of these for the photo section of this website? Does anyone know if the Club has negatives in their archives that they'd allow to be reproduced? If not, would they allow them to be taken temporarily from the frames to be re-photographed or preferably digitally scanned? This would also benefit the Club if they don't have archives!
I'm happy to make enquiries through cyberspace but it would obviously be easier for one of our local contributors.
My wife and I are tentatively planning to be in the Keighley area about this time next year so, if need be, I'd be prepared to spend a day there for that purpose.
Any suggestions as to how we might go about this - who to contact etc etc?

Trev

Re: Keighlian Team photographs

It doesn't look as though anyone who lives in the area is going to do you any favours Trev!

Regards Al.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Yeah - that entry really set the world on fire didn't it?

OK. 'nuff said! I'll check it out some time when I visit Keighley.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

I know someone who gets down there. Next time I bump into him (usually in a pub in Silsden), I'll ask.

There you go Trev.You just have to stir the pot occasionally!
Regards,Al

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

He wasn't in the King's Arms last night!

I used to play with the Keighlians in the early 1950's and I have in fact, recently posted a photograph of the team in my era. Long before your time Trevor! However in an attempt to help I have spoken to Joe McDowell, the Club President, to Alden Phillips, the Club Archivist,and I'm 99% certain that my calls will result in team photographs being made available on this web site in the near future. I'm on the trail of a certain J N Smith who is reputed to have lots of them in his possession. I'll post an update when he gets in touch.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Thanks Denis, your efforts are certainly appreciated as are those of Alec who 'stirred the pot' previously.
Well done!

Trevor,

John Smith has been in touch and he has pledged to help out by ensuring that the photos in the club house are re-photographed, scanned and made available for display on 'our' gallery. The process is bound to take some time because they will all have to be removed from the frames. Be patient! I've asked John if they could concentrate initially on the years 1955-70 thinking that that would be the period in which you have the greatest interest.

I read to him your original posting and he recognised all the names. He told me that Kev Magee had been the headteacher of a school in Bingley but he'd become disillusioned with the teaching profession and that he now cleans John's windows.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

That's brilliant, many thanks Denis.
I knew it would take some time as it does entail a fair bit of work. Please thank John for his efforts - maybe on our next visit (possibly April/May next year) we can all meet up at the Clubhouse and have a pint or 2!
As for Kev, he was cleaning windows while he was a pupil at KBGS, he had a round with a guy called Albert Bates if I remember correctly - it kept him pretty fit.