KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keighlians XV 1954

I came across an old photo of the Keighlians XV the other day and whilst it is not strictly KBGS, there are very strong connections. I'm informed by Chris that it is now posted on the site, but I haven't located it yet. I should imagine that most of the chaps pictured attended KBGS at some time or other. I wonder how many are still around? Joe McDowell, Geoff Kitchen, myself and Arthur Aspinall are still drawing breath - who else?

Names? As far as I can remember they are
Back Row: Harry Spencer, Arnold Angus, Ken Waterhouse, Joe McDowell, Ernest Wild, Denis M Pickles, Malcolm Sharp, The Ref ?, Norris Judson.
Middle Row: Malcolm Pickles, Ken Pickles, Vincent Smith, Bram Driver, Neil Caley, Maurice Whitham
Front Row: Geoffrey Kitchen, Arthur Aspinall and Colin Shackleton.

Colin Shackleton and Ken Pickles were the only survivors from the all conquering Keighlians side which won the Yorkshire Cup and Yorkshire Shield in 1948

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: Keighlians XV 1954

You should find it if you click on "Photos contributed by Old Boys". Then click on "Sports" at the end of the line in the next screen.Your photo is found in the LH column and an interesting one it is. There must be lots more stashed away in the backs of drawers, waiting to see the light of day. Has anyone got a photo of a school team with John Turner in it?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Denis - what is the edifice in the background, and where was it? Looks like an aircraft hanger!

It was the clubhouse and changing rooms at the old ground at Thwaites. It did resemble a Nissan Hut and it was pretty basic, but far better than the facilities which served some other clubs. The 'bath' at Sandal was worse than the one we used under the cricket pavillion at Lawkholme when 70 or 80 lads used to bathe? in 1" of tepid mud!
The structure was taken down when the club moved to its new ground Utley - someone will tell us when that was - mid 60's perhaps - I'd left the area when that happened. The old pitch is still used - I noticed it as I drove past on Sunday on the 'new' road, the construction of which was the cause of the move to Utley.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk