KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
O-Levels Exam Board

Which exam board did KBGS use for O-Levels, and do you think it is possible to get the transcsripts of my dad's results (70 years after he took them)?

Re: O-Levels Exam Board

If The Keighlian magazine was producing the information, then the Summer edition could resolve the problem.
The school also forwarded the information for printing in the local press (Keighley News plus The Telegraph and Argus, if traceable)
I note that David Seeley has an entry in the forum (Where are they now?)
24th Jan, where he notes that Tom Bell has a bound copy of magazines 1935-1941
An e-mail to Tom should prove useful !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

At the time most of your current posters were at school, we were entered for the Northern Universities Joint Matriculation Board - NUJMB - no doubt now several times subsumed by successor Boards. As your dad was in attendance earlier than most of us - it may be that the school entered pupils with other boards. Perhaps the other Tom (Punt esq.)or Bill Walsh can help also.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

www.aqa.org.uk might be the one to approach. Examination boards administered by AQA Manchester
• Joint Matriculation Board (JMB)
• Northern Examinations and Assessment Board (NEAB)
• Northern Examining Association (NEA)

They say "our records start from 1908 in AQA Manchester"

However, it's not clear that I can get information on behalf of someone else.

I have just been talking to my brother Howard Stowell who was at KBGS 1932-37. He took the NUJMB School Certificate Exam (as O-Levels were then called) in 1936. The detailed results are given in the Annual Report for 1936 but not in the Keighlian.

I presume that your dad took the same exam two or three years later, as he was about 3 years younger. Perhaps someone out there has access to the Annual Reports for 1938 and 1939.

Incidentally the northern universities at that time and at least up to 1944 when I took the Higher School Certificate Exam were Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham - there were far fewer universities in those days!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 37-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

Thanks David, this confirms what Tom Bell has just emailed me i.e. The Keighlian dodn't carry exam results.

Separately, your brother Howard must rank as one of the oldest Old Boys. Perhaps a contemporary of Asa Briggs (born 7 May 1921 according to wikipedia)?