KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Autographed edition of "The Keighlian" of 1955

This is a fascinating addition to the collection of visual memorabilia that this site has to offer to Old Keighlians. Thanks are due to Chris for making this possible in the first instance but also and especially to the "poster" of this rare manuscript. Would he step forward and be identified? I suspect he was one of the "squad " that produced the magazine that year.I may have a biased view but the '50s seem to me a special period in the development of KBGS - it had each year a new cohort of "free" pupils who had gained admission in competition based on competences rather than inheritances - and the staff who taught them had to come to terms with a rapidly changing post-war world. I wish I could recognise all the signatures on this page - I can't find that of George Cadman - the retiring deputy head who had a generous friendly spirit. Perhaps the "poster" would also help with a list of the names of all the signatories. I have in my possession most of these autographs but in a format (school report) I would not wish to give further publicity.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Autographed edition of "The Keighlian" of 1955

Yes, I am Lobby Lud of the Daily Mail
Sorry, the autographs were collected by me but 3 of the School Masters weren't available They were Gilbert Swift, H R Hurst, F Wigglesworth.
As for Mr Geo. E. Cadman, as you state he was retiring at the end of the term.
The Keighlian Editors produced a photograph and report within the magazine.
A copy of the autographed photograph has been forwarded to Chris for inclusion on the site as soon as practicable.
I have also submitted a map of the signatures, note the W Midgley one, where he always drew a tree surrounding the M of Midgley ( Reference to his woodworking calling)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Derek. Many years ago, on a family holiday in Blackpool, my father kept being accosted by people who said "You are Lobby Lud". Eventually, depite the fact that my father was one of the mildest mannered men I have ever met, he got to the stage where he was offering to thump them if they didn't go away. Who was the evil Lobby Lud who brought all this misery on my father?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Lobby Lud
An anonymous employee of the newspaper ( In the 50s/60s THE DAILY MAIL) would visit nominated seaside resorts.
The newspaper would print details of the town for the day, a description of the appearance of that day's "Lobby Lud", and a particular pass phrase.
Anyone carrying a copy of the newspaper could challenge "Lobby Lud" with the appropriate phrase, and receive the sum of money (£5/£10).
The phrase had to be recited exactly as stated or you didn't win the prize.
As one who challenged "Lobby Lud"on occasions, the detective work added to the seaside visit.
The fact that the employee usually wore a trilby, smoked a pipe,wore a raincoat or over his arm made him stereotypical BUT in the 50s/ 60s there were a tremendous number of people who could be the target.

It may be that your father fell into this description !!

For further information input:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_are_X_and_I_claim_my_five_pounds

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Although I didn't enter the school until September 1955, many of the signatures bring back memories. None more so than that of Kenneth Preston. How well I remember that hand, for it was scrawled all over my English exercise book. Prut was renowned for his mean marking and ability to pick up the tiniest flaw. Every essay resulted in many pages of corrections, each having to be written out three times. Then there were corrections to the corrections, each having to be written out nine times. We were not discharged from these exertions until Prut had "ticked" the corrections off in his famous red pencil. Every night after school hours he had a classroom full of lads all busy writing up corrections to corrections.

Then there came the incident of the blue pencil, circa 1959 I guess. All of us were heartily sick of endless corrections and so some enterprising lad bought a red pencil and "ticked" his own corrections off, hoping that Prut wouldn't notice. Soon most of the lads were doing the same and saving themselves hours of after-school misery. We thought we were on to a good thing until Prut suddenly changed to using a blue pencil and caught out the culprits who were still using red. After that there was no escape from the infamous "tea-party".

Yet still I guess I owe Prut much. Writing has been an essential part of my working life and any competence I have is largely down to the hard schooling he gave me.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-61

Current location (optional) Paisley