KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inter House Competitions

Being in a House at kbgs had none of the pastoral care emphases that more recent (1960-70) house systems have offered - especially in comprehensive schools. At KBGS it was a straight forrard issue of competition for points for glory in sporting events - except for the Proctor Cup which was awarded for being good boys - and almost exclusively won by Smiff House in my time. House competition was a smouldering sub-culture for enthusiasts that was little appreciated by teaching staff. Any anecdotes?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Inter House Competitions

As a matter perhaps relevant to the issue does anyone recall the name of the second former who won the inaugral cross country race??

Would that be Keith Hanley, Arthur? Ex Eastwood School, of course.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

As I recall you were allocated House based on Surname. A sort of traditional approach I suppose. Since I was the first Seeley to attend the school, (the only record I ever held incidentally)and in consequence I did not have any house and I along with others of the same discrepancy were told to report to the Assembly Hall. We sat and waited, feeling very strange and bewildered by the process. Four ancient and grisled teachers entered and viewed us with sneers and frowns pretty much as Dales' farmers view cattle. Scratcher Marsden even came over and pinched my calves( those on my legs). He would never have got away with that today, I can tell you. I was skinny to say the least, well there was a war on and we were all skinny except giants like Wakefield and T W V Smith,( they were genetic abnormalities anyway). Be that as it may, I deserved the shake of the head and heavy tutting Marsden gave me. He did pick me and I joined Barratt House. I will never forget the pride I had in getting my red badge ( of Courage?) and feeling suddenly and strangely integrated and accepted.
It was a wise choice, not because I added to any of the stupendous athletic glories of the house, which were prolific and astonishingly many, but my younger brother, David, did. But then Scratcher was not to know that was he?
I was proud to be a member of Barratt House because it was, without question, the best house in the school, that goes without saying and is beyond dispute and I'll meet anyone who says different in the bottom toilets after school and we'll have it out there, mano-e-mano.
Arthur Seeley ex-Barratt House.

Having skinny legs can be a real hazard!
I knew a bloke whos legs were so skinny he was arrested walking down the road because he had no visible means of support!

I do recall that we were each placed in the same house as any antecedents with the same surname. Of course, many had surnames which happened to match that of one of the houses itself, these being quite common local names. In such cases membership was bestowed automatically, at least for Barrett, Brigg and Smith, but I never encountered a "Longsdon" during my seven years there. Absorbing all Cravens would have been more than adequate compensation, though.
All this begs the question, "What would one do with a Felvus?"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Colin Firth used to be in Brigg house, so perhaps Felvus too, if all the Fs went there

I don't think it was a simple selection by surname initial. Arthur alludes to the placing of boys into houses dependent on which house previous bearers of that name were placed. Hence, I found that I was placed in the same house as my dad. Marsden was a Barrett house name; Mackwell was Brigg. By placing Arthur as the first KBGS Seeley in Barrett House, they condemned all future Seeleys to wear red badges

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Perhaps for the initial choice for new names they used something like the sorting hat, a la Hogwarts.

If they had house system nowadays, I wonder what they'd do about all the Asian pupils?

Perhaps they'd have a curry house.

I'll get me coat.

The way they allocated houses was very simple! At least Bill Midgley said it was.

All they did when I started was go down the list of new pupils starting with A's then applied Barret, Brigg,Longsden,Smith all the way down.

All I remember is that Smith house ( my allocation)were not that good at anything during my time there and that Brigg had the cream of the crop!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 64-70

I don't see owt wrong with "Felvus" it is a fairly common Yorkshire name, surname and given name ie Felvus Sunderland, and who would dare to argue with my cousin's son, Gary Felvus. INcidentally, I ended up in BRigg House

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Haworth now Blue Mountains in Australia

I wasn't talking about the name!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

What a pity they didn't have a House for Beetroots then

That would be Gary Felvus, the pro boxer, I take it?
Didn't he used to run the Racehorses at Kettlewell?

He was the boxer, as for the other, I don't know