KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Open Forum

In Lincolnshire, most people are "clunch" - ie they say nothing if they can keep it to themselves.
I have found that my fellow tykes often need more than an introduction to "oppen" up and reveal their feelings - or more importantly - reveal their knowledge; -especially if it's "wo'th owt".

I am suggesting that this posting should be an open 'ouse for any Old Keighlian to say 'owt about 'owt without there being any pre-posted restrictive "subject". Once-offs are especially invited - followed by "nooan sequiturs" - whativver they are. If you've wokken up with a grump ("mard on") -let's be knowin' what's troubling you - but better still- if you've any bright ideas, let's be in.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Open Forum

Hi Terry-my wife wants some "new secateurs" for the garden. Does that help?
Good idea though- do you mean stuff like uncontrolled immigration etc or is that too political? Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland,NZ

I think I can oblige there, Bill. I have three pairs of secateurs - only one is any good. Your wife can have them for nowt if she can guess which pair is the good one.

OK. So Try your Maths out on this one.You may know the answer if not and you do the right maths you may be surprised.
Imagine the Earth as a perfectly spherical smooth globe. Imagine a piece of string reaching tightly right round the maximum circumference of the said globe. If I wish that piece of string to stand out from the globe by exactly one centimetre all the way round how much must I add to the length of the piece of string???
(Hint:you do not need to know any of the dimensions of the the globe.)

6.29 cms?

To raise the string 1cm above the earth means increasing the diameter of the circle of string by 2 cms;

Circumference = pi x d

If d is increased by 2cms, the circumference will increase b 2cm x pi = 6.29 cms near enough - mas o menos. That's sticking my neck out.Oh the shame!

I think I've got enough string in my garage if you want to borrow it.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Thank you Terry. The amazing truth of this, for you are correct, is that the same is true when applied to a pea, a football, or indeed the universe assuming it to be spherical and smooth which is a pretty big assumption.
By the way, are you amazed??
I knew the answer and am still amazed.
By the way I see it as 2pir -2piR
which is 2pi(r-R)but r-R =1(given) so answer is 2pi always. Which is probably what you were saying anyway.
Not bad for a couple of Bradford Streeters!!!

Thanks, Arthur, for the solution confirmed. Yes I am amazed at the answer and more so that I found it. I couldn't believe the result - which is why I thought I was sticking my neck out by offering my solution.

Thinking about it again,Arthur, it gives me some further incites into the variations in my waist size and its effects on the notches on my belt. You have elevated navel contemplation into the realms of mathematical mystery.

At risk of turning this into a mathematical thread:-
A friend has two regular six-sided dice. He tells you that each one has some faces coloured red and some black, and that the probability of rolling two of the same colour is a half. He shows you one die which has 5 black faces. How many black faces does the other die have?

Three - which would give 5/12 probability of 2 black plus 1/12 of 2 red. But I'm "probably" wrong.

Just one more mathematical one.

There is an alleyway between 2 brick walls. Looking down the alley (or maybe it should be snicket) , one ladder rests on left side wall with its base at the bottom corner of the right hand wall, and another rests on the right hand wall with its base at the bottom of the left hand wall.
They are 12 ft and 18 ft long respectively, and cross 6ft from the ground.
How wide is the alleyway ?

I have never seen a satisfactory solution to this problem which appears at first just to be a simple geometrical /trigonometrical one.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

I have seen a similar problem using 9ft and 16ft ladders. If you solve the simultaneous equations generated there is no solution (other than in the imaginary plane. I guess this one is similar but I'd have to work it out.

Yes, Brian C, it's 3. You don't have to do it by calculating probabilities. Whatever the configuration of the first die, be it 0, 1, ... 6 black faces it has to fall with either a black or a red face. So to make the probability a half the remaining die has to have 3 red and 3 black faces.

A game show host calls a contestant onto the stage and shows him 3 doors, and tells him that behind each door is a table. 2 tables have a lemon on them and the other has a cheque for 100K. He asks the contestant to stand in front of a door. If he chooses the 100K door he gets the money. If he chooses a lemon door he has to eat the lemon. When he has chosen one of the doors the host opens one of the other doors and shows him a lemon on the table. He offers the contestant one more chance. He can stay put or move to the other door. What is his best strategy - stay put, move, or doesn't it matter?

Eat the lemon. Money can't buy you love...

The 'lemon' problem is a bit like showing the ***** navvy three shovels and asking him to take his pick.
I've a feeling that with the lemons he should move. The reason, I believe, is that, on his first choice of door, he has a 1/3 chance of being correct, but if he moves, because one lemon has been taken out of the equation, he has a chance of 1/2 with the swap. It doesn't seem that this is the solution at first glance; I think Allan's got a point - eat the lemon,cc then decide whether to swap or not!!

Brian, the simplest solution to the ladder puzzle is to draw it to scale and measure it - 8.4ft. That's if my drawing skills in Illustrator are good enough.

O.K., Einsteins,---
If a hen and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long will it take six hens to lay six eggs ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) I.O.M.

Arthur's question on string/Terry's answer is not quite right when you factor in general relativity...although perhaps they are off the hook because of the qualifier "Imagine the Earth as a perfectly spherical smooth globe"...

Were one to measure the diameter through the Earth, the result would be 2.2 millimeters greater than the expected value obtained from dividing the circumference by pi. In the case of the Sun, the difference is 4 kilometers.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/relativity/einstein2.html

Yes, Chris, but the string would get burnt.

Not if you use the sort of string that is used when cooking the Christmas turkey (which for some reason always emerges unscathed)

Where you , Einstein ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) I.O.M.

KEIGHLEY NEWS FORUM
Have you, by chance, had a look at the above, recently ??
Enough to bring out the Victor Meldrew in any OLD KEIGHLIAN !!
How these postings have passed the web master and been allowed onto the site I don't know but action to print ENGLISH has been suggested to the powers that be.

Компания "Лаборатория Касперского" зафиксировала первую массовую рассылку спамерских сообщений, в которых роль рекламного объявления играл аудиофайл в формате МР3.

Образцы писем, полученные "Лабораторией Касперского", относятся к категории так называемого stock-спама, то есть, рекламных сообщений, посредством которых мошенники пытаются повысить стоимость акций неких компаний. После того, как цена акций возрастает до нужного уровня, злоумышленники избавляются от них, получая прибыль.

В сообщениях, зарегистрированных "Лабораторией Касперского", не содержалось никакого текста. При воспроизведении вложенного МР3-файла длительностью от 25 до 33 секунд пользователь слышал искаженный звуковым фильтром женский голос, предлагающий купить акции некой компании под названием

To coin a phrase or two !!
Only by using http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr have I been able to make moss nor sand out of it
Keep Smiling

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

добро ii1 пойдет к верхней части наших лестниц

whilst babelfish is great, some things lose a lot in translation

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Haworth now Blue Mountains in Australia

Film Query for all the Steam Train Buffs.

I watched a re-run of THE GREAT ESCAPE Sun 23 Dec.

In "The Great Escape" the escaping prisoners entered the carriages of a steam train
(This had the number 78185 on the front .

Does anyone know if this was a British registered train, taken to Munich for use in the Film or was it a train manufactured elsewhere.

Just curious !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50-55

It looked like a Stanier Tank to me (as I donned my anorak).

If 78185 were a British built loco, I think it would be a class 2, 2-6-0 tender engine (one of about 11 classes, including the Britannias, designed by Riddles for B.R.in the early post-war years). If so, its design is based on the earlier Ivatt version (like Brian Moate's celebrated 46442), and is of very similar appearance.
However, my "spotter" is a reprint of the winter 1955/56 edition, in which locos of the class are numbered 78000 - 78064 with the footnote, "Engines of this class are still being delivered".
So, I'm unable to confirm whether or not a British 78185 was ever built, but am waxing my anorak in anticipation of an absorbing discussion on this!

Locally (ie Lawkholme and environs)and colloquially, the 46442 type were known as "crabs". The train in the film was not of that type. Definitely a "tankie".This may be terminologically inexact but I know a crab from a tank.

So, to return to Derek's original question, if it's number was 78--- and it didn't look like a "crab", it probably wasn't British registered.

Unless the number was a "stage name"?

Why does the Flying Scotsman never sit down?
Because it has a tender behind.
Never quite got train spotting, but each to their own, I suppose.

Quite, IW. If the anorak fits wear it!
I spotted for a while then discovered girls- all downhill after that.

Is IW Ian Watson in 3b/c around 1956? We used to spot together on Damems station.

Not much to spot on Damems staion ! One 'bocker' every half hour or so. Usually the same one going up and down.

Current location (optional) Wirral

Damems station was wonderful. The platform was so short that you had to hold your door open before you got to the station to let the driver know you wanted to get off, and he would pull up with your door next to the platform. Just as well there were no health and safety regulations in those days.

Current location (optional) leeds

Bocker! I'd quite forgotten the word. Surely it was 41326, occaisonally 41327 for spotting variety.Upon reflection, I preferred Hest Bank to Damems;an eagle eye of unknown origin, standing on the bridge, screamed "Semi" regularly when all I could see was a dot in the distance. But the engines passing over the water troughs were a fine sight. Jubes at Keighley and I remember seeing a Streak at York.
Memories of the cardboard corridor, a regular harmonica player in the playground and the Ilkley 7's which I'll always associate with "Catch a falling star",played over the tannoy.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 53-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

I remember when the diesel replaced the bocker, it used to play on Ilkla Moor!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Has this section become the sole preserve of the anoraks?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

I beg your pardon, Mr Jackson. I should have posted in the appropriate forum; please put it down to newcomer's enthusiasm. What is your sphere of interest?

I collect those little red rubber bands that mysteriously appear on my driveway every morning

Correct, Alec. Fellow anoraks and late night BBC TV cinema buffs will have rejoiced with me in the recent showing of the comedy premiere of "Churchill - The Hollywood Years". The most fetching stretches of the drama were the railway scenes. Do any of you stock holding buffs have any data on the featured locos - the GWR 0-6-0 tank 1420 (pre BR)and the GWR tank with the tapered boiler , green livery, and named "Warrior"? I think it must have been a 2-6-0 tanker. Any archivists with reliable corroboration?

Cinema page? I clicked on but can't find it again. Mentioned Ritz, Picture House and Regent. Wasn't the latter also named Essoldo at one point? And what about The Cavendish and Cosy Corner [a tanner on t' planks]? Not to mention t'Oxford Hall [adjacent chipoil] and two at Haworth [olduns and newuns]
Ritz: Saturday nights; Long queue, commissionaire [two in t'two and nines]?

Try putting cinema; ritz etc into "Search this Forum"

Click on "Photos" on web site menu

Click on "Cinemas" in the Photo Album header

The recently added photograph of the Old Keighlian's Association reunion 1958 brought back some memories.
The President, Mr R W Gledhill was an Optician who had a shop in a position close to the current HSBC on North Street.

In 1960 I went to see Mr Gledhill as I wanted to purchase a pair of contact lenses, to enable me to continue my sporting hobbies in comfort.

The present high tech. measuring equipment hadn't been invented,so how was the measurement obtained ??

A pair of non prescription contact lenses were placed on my eyes.

I put on a pair of Optician spectacles (the ones used for inserting the various different lenses) BUT instead of lenses, a pieces of card with a slit cross cut out of the centre (+) was placed in the lens slide.
By using a graduated "stick" ( similar to an ice lollipop stick) this was inserted through one of the slits and gently pushed until it TOUCHED the previously inserted contact lens.
By reading off the the measurement and then carrying out the same routine a further 3 times, the prescription was completed.

Considering I am still wearing the same lenses made up from that prescription some 48 years ago, I feel that the £35.00 spent in 1960 is almost a "Yorkshire Man's Dream !!"

35 pound! I would rather have gone blind

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Couldn't agree more,John. In 1960 I was earning £2-19-6d a week!

Am I alone in thinking that the England cricket team have just two faults? They can't bat and they can't bowl!

I don't think they're much chop at fielding, either.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) Melbourne

They're pretty good topers or does it not matter what sportspersons do off the field. Ask Danny Cipriani.I remember the annual away fixture with Blackpool GS in 1959. A complaint to watthey occasioned Gilbert to have the 1st and 2nd XVs in the gym for an "enquiry". I don't know what was in his report to the HM but I recall Gilbert summarising similarly: I don't recall seeing any drunkennesss but we had to stop the bus for a great number of boys wanting a pee before we got to Preston

Why? What happens at Preston?

Maybe this is what that US flower marketer was driving at. These are delivered free and FOC anywhere in the world! Just click on the blank screen when it opens.

http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf

"Girl bowled over at cricket?" - a crossword clue I have just seen - took me back to a shabby advert on the "balcony" (??) of the rugby changing rooms overlooking the Lawkholme cricket ground...."Bowled a maiden over? Buy her .......(?) ice cream". Can anyone help with the name of the ice cream? In my naivety I thought it should have read "Buy a .... ice cream".

I certainly rememeber the sign. Wasnt it Leda's ice cream from Alice Street ??

I also remember 'TAYLORS FOR MEN OF THE NORTH' in large letters on the roof of the Rugby ground shed, opposite the 'stand'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Hi Terry. Your memory is slight imperfect. The slogan was " Bowl a maiden over, buy her a Driver's ice cream" and was on the end of the Cricket pavilion just over the refreshment bar. Cheers.ps I don't say that my memory is perfect either, but that is what I remember!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Driver's sprang immediatly to mind. As did Steam Pigs; from my grandfather's vocabulary.

Thanks, Bill. Driver's it was. Add to "steam pigs" "footballer's labourers" another name for "T'forrards"

By jove, I finally got it to work, the flower garden that is, not the English Cricket Team.

By the way, does anyone know why it was called The Bocker?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Regarding steam pigs, I always thought they were stean pigs - containers (hot water bottles) made of stone. In this sense a pig was, or perhaps still is in some parts, a smallish receptacle, such as a salt pig (not that they were made of salt).

It would appear,from reports I have had,that a fast growing crime is the theft of catalytic converters from vehicles parked overnight! 4x4s appear to be most at risk due to their ground clearance.With cat's at upto £1000 a pop,there is always a market for them at back street garages and even for their scrap value due to the rise in platinum prices. Be advised!

I wonder if I might canvass some considered adult opinion on the current rumour that Mrs Thatcher may be given a state funeral?

I've not been keeping up with the news recently. I didn't know she'd died.

There are those who say she did, but just for three days.

CORRECTION. In my Guest Book posting, I mentioned in passing, an incident involving Jack Webber.
Incorrect: apologies Jack if you are accessing this site. A few days ago, another name popped into my mind, completely out of the blue which brought back the whole incident. It wasn't even a pupil at KBGS. So much for my 50 year memory. But I do remember the Aladdin's cave which was the ex-Army shop in the arcade near the bottom of Low Street and the Chinese restaurant in College Street, not to mention the Co-op butchers where hot pies were available avec chin running down gravy. Circa 1958

Just going back to the 'Bocker' it has been recently suggested on Keighey History Web Site that this could be related to the place 'Bocking', just half a mile or so before Cross Roads.

Current location (optional) Wirral

I used to have a petrol account at the Bocking Garage; the monthly bill for a Morris 1000 van was about £15 C. 1965. Pay £600 pa? with £35? annual increments. I felt quite flush.

Good grief Peter, I reckon you must have done 35,000 to 40,000 miles a year at that rate. I had a mini van in 1968 and I'd spend £1 a week, £2 if I was driving long distances.

Thanks Shaun. It was inevitable someone would have a better memory than I. But I did travel to Huddersfield alternate weekdays and the estimate was as near as I could manage.

My earliest recollection - as a purchaser of petrol - was that I paid five and tuppence a gallon in 1966.

On the subject of Petrol, I paid out 1 pound for 4 gallons of petrol returning from my honeymoon in 1955 ,and that was alll the money I had in the world.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Sassafras , Tasmania

You were robbed Mike. You should have had two shillings change. Unless you left a big tip to impress the missus!

Further to my earlier posting mentioning Duane Eddy, has interested guitarists seen Chet Atkins' rendition of Wildwood Flower on Utube? Oslo 1964

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-1958

If you want to hear a guitarist take a look at Gary Potter on UTube.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1964

Current location (optional) Keighley

I saw Gary Potter in Halifax about ten years ago. Phenomenal. Playing to a pitifully small audience. The old joke is true. A rock guitarist plays three chords to an audience of 3000, and a jazz guitarist plays 3000 chords to an audience of 3