KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
November 5th.

Just browsing in the library last night. Picked up a book "The Tower of London". Found out.....Guy (Guido)Fawkes was a Yorkshireman! Also he used the alias "John Johnson".
There is great doubt that he was guilty of the plot. There is a strong possibility that the plot scenario was a fabrication of Robert Cecil and he was set up as the fall guy. (Ba boom!).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

Re: November 5th.

Whether or not he was set up or not, we still got parkin pigs and plot toffee for Plot Neet.

BTW does anyone have a recipe for parkin?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Haworth now Blue Mountains in Australia

My sister makes wonderful parkin - I'll get the recipe from her and send it in.

John, Go to
www.blunham.demon.co.uk/yorksgen/recipes/cakesandpastries/gingerbreads
Three recipes for parkin there.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Thanks Mike, the website has changed to
http://www.blunham.demon.co.uk/Yorksgen/Recipes/CakesandPastries/GingerbreadandParkin.html

Righto - I won't bother then!

Trevor , having not tried out any of the recipes on that web site it would be good to have your sister's one which is already proven. Is it the cake type or the half inch thick crusty version.? I used to go by bus to Cullinworth, via Flappit Springs, to buy Parkin at the village bakery--of the Crusty version.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

I bet it's the "crusty" one.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

2 cups of self-raising flour
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
Mix the above 3 ingredients in a bowl

1/2 cup of milk
4oz (100gms) of margarine
1 tablespoon of treacle
Place the above 3 ingredients in a pan and warm through until melted.

Then add these to the dry ingredients, mix well, and transfer to a baking tin and bake at 200 Centigrade until done?

My sister didn't explain when 'done' is so I'd suggest stabbing the parkin with a metal skewer. If it comes out with cake mix on it, it's underdone. If it come out clean, it's done.

Good luck and enjoy!!

I've been on my own for a few years now and I miss 'home' baking. A little while ago I had a yearning for some parkin like my mother used to bake and knowing that I still had her recipe book [hand written in beautiful copperplate script as taught in the early 1900's] I dug it out and set to work mixing the ingredients:
1 lb flour
3 oz sugar
1 tea sp ginger
8 oz syrup
3 oz lard
pinch of salt
3/4 cupful of milk
1 tea sp. carb of soda
........ boiling the syrup and lard together as my mother had instructed. The mixture looked fine, but nowhere did the recipe state at what temperature the parkin should be baked nor for how long. Flummoxed, I wondered what to do and struck on the idea of phoning the only surviving family relation of the era of side ovens, a cousin of my father who was in her nineties. She said, 'Bake in a moderate oven until firm to the touch'. I think I got the 'moderate' bit right, but 'firm to the touch' posed problems. I kept checking and the parkin always seemed a bit on the soft side so I gave it a bit longer. Sadly the resultant parkin was so hard that had I made a dozen in similar fashion, I could have used them as stepping stones on the lawn!
Trevor - your sister wasn't the only Pickles who could make good parkin!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

We must have the 'Parkin' gene!

My first Bonfire night in this location was amusing when a neighbour asked "Who will be making the Mince Pies?".
"Mince Pies ? Mince Pies?, what about the Parking Pigs and Plot Toffee?"
Blank looks.
Everyone, in this locality thinks that Parking Pigs is another name for a Traffic Warden.
Do not even mention "Progging" down here,lol, I am sure you would finish up on the Sexual Predators Register.
Ah Well.
Happy Bonfire Night.
xxx

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) Newport

ok, we have a variety of parkin recipes to try, now what about the recipe for plot toffee!

And addresses of NHS dentists enrolling new patients!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

4 tooth aches sake Trevor ( Mr Marston - cur ) yr not suggesting that I have let slip my true identity - yr not gonna snitch on me are u ???- keep the dream alive

Current location (optional) Newport