KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
learning......

'Of what value to me is that piece of knowledge'
On the surface Arthur that might seem to an impertinent and appalling question. However, in my opinion, it is not such an unreasonable question.
There is an overwhelming amount of knowledge to investigate. Knowledge for knowledge's sake in not automaticaly a good thing. We are all granted a finite number of hours on this earth, and it makes sense to me that if one is going aquire knowledge it should be knowledge that is, first of all, interesting, and, secondarily of value in life skills.
So, for example, if there might have been a student at KBGS, who might have been fascinated with the theory of flight, and music, could he not legitimately have enquired of the relevance (to him) of knowing the capital of Peru or some such. The time spent aquiring trivial knowledge,(a subjective qualification), could be more rewardingly spent in aquiring meaningful, interesting, useful,(more subjective qualifications), knowledge. Perhaps it was a little arrogant of Euclid to presume that his teachings were automatically of value to everyone (I personally think they were, but then again that is MY subjective judgement). There must have been countless trillions of man hours wasted (in my opinion) memorizing religious tracts and dogma, and yet pity the poor wretch in the middle ages who might have had the temerity to question the Catholic church.
Having said all that, I think, in all probability, that the person Terry mentions, is quite stupid.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

Re: learning......

I'm minded of the eternal response of the illiterate to the educated - as versified in "Annie get Your Gun".....

"Folks are dumb where I come from
They ain't had any larning.
Still they get fro A to Z (zee!!)
Doin' a what comes nachalee"....

I taught a kid with the potential to take him from the rut for which he was heading to a level that would have surprised him. Whilst marking his work (far and away the best in a class of low achievers), I told him he could set his sights higher. His reply to me was "Ah can read and write - and that's main." And he could but it wasn't - and I couldn't convince him otherwise. I last read of him on the front page of the Yorkshire Post as being the first person since Victorian days to have an alcohol ban imposed on him. He thought he knew what was "learning". It's a hard lesson to grasp - but I think education is about options and keeping doors open.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

"I think education is about options and keeping doors open."
Absolutely, especially the "options" bit.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

Terry-Do you happen to know the Briggs Latin motto, please?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 53-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Sorry, Peter, don't have it to mind. I have some old school mags somewhere (?!) and no doubt there will be the information you seek in there. Before I find them there will no doubt be some other poster coming up with what you want to know.(Sperantes laboramus - KGGS!) There was a thread in this site that pursued school House data. Perhaps I should search there. Chris Firth's dad was in Brigg. I know the Longsdon motto was "Surge et Fulge" (Rise and Shine - which we did but twice in my time - thinking about it 25% success is not bad.) At the mention of Brigg House we usually offered the symbol of the cross and reached for the garlic!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Thanks Terry. "Minimus" Latin is being rolled out in primary schools at this moment in time rather than at the end of the day to create a level playing field. There'll soon be 10 year olds delivering utterances; I feel a bit humiliated in not knowing the house mottos of my old school.~ I have recently heard it mooted that youngsters should be taught how to learn before attempting to teach them anything???

Just "dug out" a 1953 Keighlian Magazine

Under House Notes
Barrett House motto
Strong Arm-Clear Head-Good Heart

Brigg House
God Guard Us

Smith House
Non sibi sed domo

Longsdon House
Surge et Fulge

As a member of sporty Barrett House the translation was carried out for us.
Whereas the, apparent, scholars in Smith and Longsdon House could translate theirs as they wished !!
Over to you !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

I think the Smith Motto translates as:

Not for self, for house (or lord, master).

Derek. I have been under a misapprehension. I had always thought that the motto you quoted for Smith House was the school motto (and I had believed that "sibi" was "sidi"). Are you certain? Have I been living by the wrong motto for fifty years?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Shaun
Motto as written,sorry, although I didn't know whether it was a line out of one of Arthur's dialect poems.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Shaun - did you think the motto meant: not for Sid but for the house? Which Sid did you have in mind?

"Sid" Brown - of course.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

...of course...the only Sid I know...

Malcolm Godfrey~~ Welcome. An interesting posting in the Guest Book; do you mean that you're a Teach-Yourself addict or a teacher of others?