KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
train spotting

I just bought an Ian Allan locospotter book, for the LMS, on E-bay. Chris has been kind enough to post a picture of the front cover. This really brings back memories! The book is the summer 1957 edition. It was owned by a 10yr old girl. (She had filled in the locospotters' club application form on the back page....surname: Wood date of birth: 26 Feb 1947 christian names: Jennifer Ann). I NEVER once saw a girl locospotter! What a girl! Her cops are underlined by hand (no ruler) in a mixture of ball point pen and pencil. She had copped quite a few namers. Remember "Pats", "Jubes", "Scots", "Royals" and "Coronations"?
I think I started locospotting at about 9 yrs. and finished at about 16 yrs. I had, without any doubt, some of the happiest times of my life because of it.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

Re: train spotting

I've seen your picture of the "LMS stocker". It brought back lots of memories of "spotting" on Lawkholme Bridge, Keighley and Leeds City stations - and especially the 2 or 3 trips I had to Hest Bank where I copped my first "Prinny Coras" and "Coras". I was reminded by the tragic deaths of the Chinese cockle pickers of an occasion when the buses into Morecambe were full and, in order to catch our train of choice, we cut across the sands of Morecambe Bay - and of course the tide came in and we had to run like hell in some places to avoid being cut off. A perilous shoreline.
Any idea, Bernard, from her "cops" where she might have lived or "spotted"?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Terry...could this be lurv??

Remember the 'Beetle Crushers' a regular one through Keighley station was no 46442.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I don't understand Brian. "Beetles Crushers"...... was that a "namer"? 46442 was not a namer...it was a 2-6-0 taper boiler design.......

At last, a topic I can respond to, even if it might sound a little sad! I found my old Railways ABC and looked up 46442 and you're right, it wasn't a namer. It's a 2-6-0 Class 2 M2. I've underlined it too, so obviously I saw it in Keighley. It must have been a regular. My brother and I used to cycle from Riddlesden to Thwaites and sit on the wall on the opposite side from the signal box. We spent hours there. What a picturesque place, with the gasworks opposite! It smelt pretty good too. It took our minds away from Kenny Prut's homework. Tony Peart's railway club outings were also a big treat and actually took us away to York and Doncaster, where we went round the railway works to see the new engines being constructed. They were still making steam engines then, but the new diesels and electrics were just being built as well.
The railways then were a bigger and more comprehensive entity. A few weeks ago I met up with my brother (we both now live in Devon) and went to see a steam hauled special running full speed up the main line to Bristol. As it went by a bloke who was standing with us, probably about 40 years old, said he'd never seen anything quite like it. Hard to imagine that someone could never have experienced the thrill and smell of a steam engine in full cry. Oh, happy, simple pleasures watching the engines at Thwaites!
Incidentally, girl locospotters did exist. My wife was one, though she lived in Bath and Hayling Island and travelled on the Pines Express to school. She spent hours watching trains with her brothers. Sorry, this isn't perpetual motion, just perpetual interest, started in schoolboy days.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) Exeter, Devon

Good to see this subject aired . It is often ridiculed in the press and I always find it a little offensive that this harmless practice should be seen, as David says, "a little sad". I think I learnt more about the geography of the British Isles and the Empire as it was then, from my interest in trains than I did from the lessons.
I still have the Ian Allen ABC books for both the LMS and the LNER from the war years . The expresses through Keighley then had up to twenty coaches fully loaded with all the corridors full of standing troops and kit bags.
A good place to watch was at Rose Cottage sitting on a gate post by the line with a view to Steeton all along the valley.The line about a yard away.
Our favourite though was on the LNER York to Edinburgh section Near to Thirsk where in the war there were 4 tracks and they were filled with traffic 24 hrs a day, Goods on the outer two and expresses with A1-A4's at the head in full flight .What a sight.
I must say Bernard ,you have livened up the forum with your choice of subjects, keep it up.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

I never said 46442 was a namer, it was just that that class was known to my group of friends as Beetle Crushers . 46442 seem to come through Keighley almost all the days we were there.

I seem to recall that 'namers' were usually on the Thames - Clyde Express, and Waverley Expresses.
The 'up' Thames-Clydes came through Keighley at 2 pm, and the 'down' ones at about 3 pm.
The Waverley 'down' train was about 2.10 and the 'up' one at 3.10.
The namers were mainly 'Scots' with sometimes a 'Jub'. It was disappointing if only a 'Blackie' came along.
Rarely there was a double-header.
There was occasionally a namer on a train that stopped in Keighley shortly after 4. It may have been called the milk train, but Im not sure what its route was.
It was unlikely there would be a namer in the morning, just occasionlly on the 11.01 which I think ended up at Heysham.

Sorry three posts in a row !Just had a look at the 1957 cover of the Ian Allan LMS book.
Of course what we must also not forget was that some indeed many) of the photos in these books, and also in the monthly magazine 'Trains Illustrated' were taken by Eric Treacy. He was Rector of Keighley in the forties, then to become Bishop of Wakefield then Bishop of Liverpool. He must have ended his tenure in Keighley about 1946 to be succeeded by Canon Hamer who baptised me.

I checked to see what Jennifer Ann had copped in that class. She had had just two; 46437 and 46448. Maybe that is a clue Terry? Jennifer Ann where are you? I think I am falling in love with you too!
Brian, re. "beetle crusher", I thought that that might have been a distortion of a name. For instance, a friend of mine called "Seychelles" "sea shells".

The picture now on the Trainspotters' part of the photograph section was taken at Carlisle station in about 1959. On the left is Brian Slater and I am on the right. The engine appears to be 46224, Princess Alexandra. This was a trip we did via the Settle and Carlisle. Brian, my brother Alan and I went up there for the day and I guess Alan took the picture. Also an interesting into the topic of "threads". I was wearing my school uniform because those were the only clothes I had. No flashy casual stuff in those days.

I like all of you contributing to this thread, did my share of train spotting. My favourite spot was at the Alice Street side of Lawkholme Bridge. It was a standard 'dare' to look over the bridge as atrain passed. Ah! the sweet remembered aroma's of steam and sulphur. Wonderful!.
I lived in Bradford Street and can remember laying in bed during the war and listening to the trains chuntering up the valley and through the station and then away and the bedroom rocking gently as I lay comforted by the sounds. London-Glasgow, The Thames -Clyde Express 3-10am. The shunting yards working away during the night and the cascading clanks as one truck shunted into another all obeying Newton's law of the conservation of momentum.
The Engine shed was at the top of our street and I used to sit at the top of the wooden stairs and watch an old tanker 0-6-0 whose number comes to me now out of the steam and over the years as 1820. I'm sure.

The oily shed, home to an old tank engine
that seethed like a great black kettle on a hob
steam flowering from sprung seams.
I knew the sear of that coal-gulping maw
and the sudden vent of dragon breath
that filled the yard with scalding vapours
and belches of sulphur that engorged a sky
bannered with the smoke of a town girded for war

If my memory serves me correctly ( a big "if") we (the Bradford Streeters) used to call the class numbered 6400 "Crabs" or "Crabbies" after the designer. There was also a giant goods loco, built I think for wartime duties, with 8 drive wheels which we called a "Big Eight". We had technical awarenesses!! Bernard has the upper hand here since he has Jennifer Ann's stocker.I wondered, Bernard, what namers Jennifer Ann had copped - and if the Jubes and Scots she copped were the ones which operated through Keighley. Do you think she was a blond and wore a leather jacket or an anorak? All young girls then had knocky-knees anyway.

Terry, the "Big Eights" you refer to were known as "War Departments" in the war .I think they were
sent under Lend Lease from the States, hence the unusual, non British appearance

"Do you think she was a blond and wore a leather jacket or an anorak? All young girls then had knocky-knees anyway."
Terry, she was 10 yrs old. When I was train spotting the only girls I was interested in were Janet Leigh, Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell and Mitzi Gaynor. Come to think of it, I still am.

...........Damn! I just drooled on my keyboard.......

http://www.gregoriou.itgo.com/favorite_links.html

RE; BIG 8's follow this link

Ava Gardner in Mogambo??

So, Arthur, was 1820 a Jinty?

I just recall the 'Scot' that we used to see regularly was 'The Green Howard', no doubt we will get the number from Jennifers book. This one was almost as common as 46442.

The Green Howard was an L.N.E.R.locomotive, V2 class. The others in that being--Green Arrow, The Snapper, St Peter;s School York, Durham School, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry [ I'd like that nameplate] and ,Coldstreamer.Taken from the L.N.E.R.ABC 1947.

I am not a mine of military information but I believe the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry were recruited from around Pontefract, Castleford etc. For short (and punnily) this regiment of ex-miners was known as the Koylis (accent correct!). I think the nameplate on the loco read "K.O.Y.L.I." There was an LMS "Royal Scot" class loco named "The Green Howards", a regiment recruited in North Yorkshire around the Malton area. As you remarked in an earlier posting, Mike, train spotting opened up a host of topics of interest and information - a lot of it of little utility - except pub quizzes and the like. My son-in-law works with a truly sad young man of recent generation who greets any information that doesn't "interest" him with the words "I don't need to know that. Why are you telling me?" He doesn't appreciate that he is the bore.

Like Brian, I always thought of it as "The Green Howard", but on looking it up in my "stocker" I find it is "The Green Howards" and number 46133.

Your last tale Terry reminds me of Euclid, not that I knew him personally, you understand. He was instructing a class of young men in the finer points of Geometry when one young man asked 'Of what value to me is that piece of knowledge'. Euclid sent for his servant and asked him to bring Euclid's purse. When it arrived Euclid took out a coin of low value and gave it to the young man saying, 'Take this since you must profit from your learning'. The young man was then expelled forthwith from the class. Now that's a move that needs to be brought back into education.
BTW when I wasn't collecting train numbers it was car registrations and if anyone can think of a better way of aimlessly and fruitlessly dawdling away a hot afternoon in July other than sat at the top end of Bradford Street, in 1943, with few cars in the world and with petrol rationing fewer than that on the roads and those that did pass I already had from other splendid afternoons, then I would like to be informed of it as early as possible. Only one thing more pleasant is remembering it on a cool afternoon in October in my winter years.

We once had spell of collecting car registrations at the bottom of Bradford Street. I can't remember the occasion exactly but it was a hot summer's evening and the cars into Keighley were bumper to bumper in the days when there were bumpers. It must have been about 1947. We sat on the causer in front of the houses where the Fire Station now stands. Couldn't get them down fast enough - not for the last time in my life.

I stand corrected Terry."The Green Howards" was indeed a "Royal Scot" No 6133 rebuilt with a taper boiler,or so it says here. I should have checked it first before my previous posting.

I scanned some of the photos in the 1957 stocker. I you are interested you can see them here. (They need to be rotated).
http://bernardjohnsonmusic.com/loco_spotters_for_kbgs.htm

Correction; "if"

Perhaps a final railway posting. Did many of our "submitters" use the other side of Keighley railway station and board the train to Halifax? The station yard was always full of railways parcels trucks and I remember carts on the platforms full of day-old chicks, cheeping away and waiting for the next parcels van to take them away. Often wondered how many got to their destination alive. We used to catch the Halifax train as far as Harecroft station, which was the station for Wilsden - a hell of a walk. No wonder people later on preferred to use the bus. The train was usually made up of a tank engine and two coaches. No wonder it didn't pay! And I think the service was withdrawn around 1955. Too early for Brian Craven to get to school and back from Queensbury, where there was a fair-sized intersection.

The Intersection you refer to was Triangle- I thought it a quite wonderful concept at the time but then I was easily impressed as a boy. You caught the train from Keighley to Halifax and then if you wanted to go to Bradford you got off at Triangle and went to another Platform to wait for the Halifax to Bradford to arrive. The return journey was to catch the Bradford-Keighley, but if you returned from Halifax you got off at Tringle and waited for the Bradford -Keighley.
Triangle seemed to be on top of the world and in winter the snow drifted in chilling plumes over the wasteland of that Place. Always windy there.
I do remember the day old chicks!! They used to be going 'cheep' in those days.Boom-boom.

Just a few more memories of train spotting.
If we went to Keighley station there was a cafe where we could get a drink and some biscuits. The biscuits were two for a penny, and depicted different sports on the face. I aslo remember porter Mr Chenier, rotund, amaiable, and ginger haired who had a son David at our school. ut he wouldnt stand for any nonsense if you were 'laiking' about.
I remember the water pump on the platform at the bridge end, though only occasionally did an engine fill up there.
We also used to bike it down to Utley near to the Golf Club. I recall misbehaving by putting a halfpenny on the line for a train to flatten. Problem was finding it after the train went by.
Occsionally we would cycle to Skipton sheds to have a nosey around, but often ended up getting thrown out.
But the nearest place to see an A4's (Streak) was at Leeds Central (LNER), and you had to be lucky. I remember seeing 'Silver King' there

The "Triangle" Arthur refers to was actually the triangular track arrangement at Queensbury station (no connection with the village of Triangle in the Calder Valley - just beyond Sowerby Bridge along the Oldham/Rochdale Road out of Halifax). It had double platforms on each of the three sides of the triangle, thus providing opportunities for changing trains as described.
A wild and bleak place it may have seemed, but it was actually several hundred feet below the altitude of Queensbury village itself (1100ft)and felt quite sheltered by comparison!
Incidentally, a new footpath has recently been completed from the old station site, along the route of the former G.N. railway towards Thornton. It's currently only about half a mile long, the intention being eventually to link it with the existing path from Harecroft to Cullingworth, I believe.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

As will have been observed, my comprehension skills are not "ace" - but does not the situation that appertained at Shipley equate? You could get from Kegley to Leeds by catching a Leeds train via Shipley, stopping for passengers from other services - or by catching a Forster Square train and changing at Shipley - and then platforms - to connect with a Leeds train? Anyone else remember the porter at Frizinghall who as the train stopped called out in mournful tone - "Frizin ' orl"?

Yes, I believe the layout at Shipley is / was similar, but don't know whether Shipley could boast the full 6 platforms. No doubt someone will enlighten us.

Yes . Shipley had a full complement of 6 platforms.
Some trains from Keighley to Leeds were 'through', but you could also get a Bradford (Forster Square) train, change platforms, and pick up the Bradford-Leeds train.
I was just trying to remember the stations on the Leeds line:-

Crossflatts (a new station since our days)
Bingley
Shipley
(then you went through Thackley tunnel)
Apperley Bridge and Rawdon
Calverley and Rodley
Newlay and Horsforth
Kildwick
Leeds City.

For "Kildwick ", read "Kirkstall"? Were you on some nostalgic, romantic reminiscence there, Brian?
Can you recall the stations from Kegley into BFS (Bradford Forster Square) if there were any? Or more challengingley (must be a village in Colne Valley!) the stops from Kegley (GNR) Worth Valley line to Bradford Exchange!?

The wrong Brian, I know, but (to Bradford Exchange) here goes anyway!
Keighley, Ingrow East, Cullingworth, Wilsden, Denholm, Thornton, Queensbury, Clayton, Great Horton, Horton Park, Manchester Road (closed), St.Dunstans, Bradford Exchange.
(To Halifax from Queensbury; Holmfield, Ovenden, North Bridge, Halifax Town).

Oops yes of course I meant Kirkstall !

And going the other way from Keighley to Morecambe (from memory)

Steeton and Silsden
Kildwick and Crosshills
Cononley
Skipton
Gargrave
Hellifield
Long Preston
Clapham
Bentham
Halton and Caton (or were they separate?)
Lancaster
Bare
Morecambe

Good to se that Brian's memory is as good as ever!

Weren't 'Beetlecrushers' the Ivatt austerity 2-6-0's in the 43XXX number range?

And Shipley having a 'full complement of 6 platforms'? It has now, but only ever had 4 until the two new wooden platforms were added? It did have a line running behind the Forster Square platform on the Ilkley line but never 6 platforms in the 60's.

What about Bell Busk, Giggleswick, Wennington, Hornby,(Lancaster) Green Ayre, Scale Hall on the line north from Skipton to Morecambe (Promenade) - Bare Lane was on the line from Euston Road to Carnforth via the West Coast main line.

Close with the 'milk train' Brian - it was the 'fish train' (possibly bringing fish from Grimsby docks) - you could smell it a mile off and especially after it had left leaving boxes of fish on one of the flat waggonns.

Surely the 11.01 was the Leeds-Glasgow - regularly used for school camp.

Brenard, are you thinking of the V2 'Green Arrow'?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

It appears that the train spotting phenomenon was rife in the Lawkholme area in the 40s/50s
If memory serves correctly and looking through Bernard's evocative locospotter book, one namer (which jumps from the page) is "NEWFOUNDLAND".
I seem to remember that this engine was on a regular run through Keighley and it must have been at a time shortly after school as we meandered over Lawkholme Bridge.
I wondered if someone, perhaps from the Bradford Streeters, can confirm the regularity and name.
As in a previous forum, riding the shunting "1820" was thrill enough but placing a coin on the line and praying it didn't derail the locomotive wasn't far behind.
Car numbers were a second string to train spotting but our collecting was on Hardings Lane before the building of the extended Airedale Road. (In those days Hardings Lane took a sharp left up Lawkholme lane towards Town centre.)
Sitting at the bottom of Back Caledonia Road (Opposite the entrance to the farmyard and side gate into the Rugby Ground.) was the area which (as per Arthurs comments) helped us idle away the interminable hot Summer school holidays from Eastwood Junior School.
Making use of the open playing areas (Cricket Field, Rugby Field and the dusty path to the River passing the Keighley Albion Rugby field ,Dean Smith and Grace and Hattersley's Cricket fields) as well as Victoria Park was also part of growing up in "The Good Old Days"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

In response to Dave Baldwin, maybe my memory wasn't so good, as I now remember Bell Busk and Giggleswick, though not Scale Hall (where was that ?), and indeed Lancaster's full name was Lancaster Green Ayre.
I also remember after I posted that Bare was Bare Lane, but as you say it was probably on the Carnforth line.
But I still think the class containing 46442 was the beetle crushers, but they were 2-6-0's. The drive wheels were huge.

In response to Derek Newiss' memories of Hardings Lane and the Rugby Ground Gates, I have submitted a photograph which I understand will be in trainspotters' corner. It was taken in May 1963. My, how different it is today at this spot! As you can se, I was not only interested in trains, but all the other transport around Keighley, but didn't realise when I took these black and whites that they would be a record of Keighley past. I wasn't able to take a lot because it was very expensive and the processing (which I had done at Milburn's paper shop) cost 7/- for 12. That was roughly 3 weeks' pocket money. I hope the photo helps stir Derek's memories. We saddo transport enthusiasts were unwittingly very good recorders of local history.

Wow, Derek and David's postings bring back some near-forgotten memories. Turn left at the bottom of Lawkholme Lane and you were on to a cinder /earth track that skirted the cricket club wall and led to Keighley Albion's rugby league ground. There one Sunday morning when walking with my dad down to the river, we came across a woundrous (sic) spectacle. A touring team of Irish hurlers were engaged in decapitating a Keighley squad of Irish "immigrants" known as Keighley Shamrocks who also had a RL team which played on the "Albion" ground. It was the first time in my short life that I saw skin and hair flying. AND heard men in dog collars urging their parishioners to violence. It was a sight I shall always remember. Beyond the playing area was a heap of earth - grassed and overgrown with shrubs and trees known as "the tip " - sorry "t'tip". It fronted the Skipton railway line across which was another such heap stretching to Skipton Road - clearly juxtaposed to facilitate a railway crossing. It was a commonly held view that "they'll nivver finish it" - so we never gave it much attention as we followed the cinder track that led to the Aire ( which had the draw of a magnet - little did we know!!) The track passed through allotments with chicken runs and pigeon lofts and led to at least one passable cricket ground used by at least one local works team in the Keighley League - Deanies (Dean Smith and Grace) or t'Trico?. The local economic miracle and woundrous transport progress has replaced what was a recreation area for generations of kids - who nivver saw an X-box.

Yes, Brian, Newfoundland was a frequent "flyer" through Lawkholme bridge - and thanks for drawing my attention to the numbers of the locos on Bernard's picture. A mystery arises. Answers please on a postcard.... Jennifer Ann Wood's date of birth was Feb 26th 1947 - according to an application she completed for a locospotters club. The numbers in my stocker which I bought around 1948 were in BR format - ie most numbers were prefixed with a 4 or 5. Jennifer Ann's stocker was in the LMS numbers format. As railway nationalisation came in 1947, Jennifer Ann must have been a very young and precocious spotter - or she picked up her "stocker" in a jumble sale several years later. Please Bernard, turn the page and tell me the name of the "Jube" in the picture - 5721. In 1951 I went to London for the first time for the Festival of Briatin. We travelled from Leeds pulled by a "Jube " named "Nyasaland" (Milton Obote's patch?)I think No 45617. On arriving at St Pancras, the very next engine stopped alongside was numbered 45616. I a have probably got the numbers wrong, Bernard, - can yo oblige?

Bernard, you will have noticed that Jennifer Ann (if indeed she is not a figment of your lascivious imagination)noted the shed numbers of Patriot class namers: E Tootal Broadhurst and Sir Herbert Walker KCB - 25a and 20a. If you check the shed numbers in the "stocker" you may get some intimation of where Jennifer Ann did her spotting.

Just a quick reply to Terrys last but one post. The ground he mentions was indeed used by Dean Smith and Grace, for whom my father worked for 47 years. DSG also used to have a families 'Sports Day' each summer at that ground.
Grrr, I nver did get the hang of the sack race !

In reply to Terry's hurlers "match" at Keighley Albion's ground, as Max Boyce would say "Yes, I was there!!"
Showing the naivety of early years, I stood behind the goals !!! and couldn't interpret the signals of the men in white coats and their white flags who indicated the scores !!
As for the Masada styled heaps ( identified as being in preparation for the bridge over the railway ) the overgrown banking was locally known , by the children, as Yum Yum Land !!
The various berries and crab apples that grew there in abundance was a regular adventure trek for us. Picnics had nothing on picking and eating "fresh" provisions. Fortunately we suffered no ill effects, but we could have taught David Attenborough/Bellamy a thing or two about flora,fauna and minute infestations.

Terry, according to my spotter (4)5721 would have been "Impregnable".

Brian M., 46442 was indeed a Mogul, as you assert, but I'm not familiar with the "Beetle Crusher" reference, unfortunately.

Thanks, Brian, - an omen for England's prospects against France tomorrow?

Thanks, Derek, another Caledonia Roaders secret well-kept from the Bradford Street bunch - and there was a socialist government at the time!!

Sorry - for Brian read Derek!!

David - that's a wonderful photograph! What else have you got?

Terry, I have just sent off the next two pages of my 1944 LMS ABC book which complets the list of the Jubilee engines numbers and names. You will see that 5616 was MALTA.G.C. and 5617 was MAURITIOUS. 5721 was IMPREGNABLE.The venerable 1820, which I rode in the blackout in the war, was built in 1878, class 1F . It must have pressed many pennies in it's long life.

Not specifically trains spotting, but thanks for the Bus/Keighley Rugby gates photograph, David.
The no 21 bus had 2 Bus stands.
The route from Cavendish Street to Stockbridge left from a position outside the KBGS in close proximity to the Dungeon Music Room and also the Ladies "attended" toilets accessed by a set of stone steps behind the Bus stand.
The route was down Lawkholme Lane, right turn down Hardings Lane, left at the T junction with Bradford Road and on to the end of Grange Road and round the turning circle.
The other stand was opposite the Keighley and Craven Building Society in Cooke Lane and adjacent to the Town Hall Square.
Route via Devonshire Street ,Drewry Road, Highfield Lane, Cartmel Road, Redcliffe Street and Highfield Road to Calver Avenue.
Reversing the bus onto Calver Avenue from Highfield Road gave upper deck passengers a special view of the duck pond and its inhabitants on the farmland on the other side of the dry stone walls.
This was prior to the extensive building programme of the Calver Estate and Shann Park.
The journey to Lawkholme from Highfield was often taken standing in the lower deck.
The Bus Conductor dictating this, because of of the muddy/wet football kit after representing Eastwood Juniors v St Annes, played on Burgess' field.
Any KBGS Rugby players also suffered the same indignity when travelling back from ROSE COTTAGE or Greenhead Lane after House matches !!

Derek - the number 21 bus going up to Calver Avenue must've been before the 1950's. In the fifties it was the number 2 bus that took the route to Calver Avenue you describe. I moved there in 1950, and I do remember the reversing manoeuvre you mention (just). The estate was built round about 1953, and then the quasi roundabout, which the bus negotiated anti-clockwise, was formed. I do remember that patch of land, before the estate was built, having chickens running about on it, but I don't recall a pond there.

Thanks Allan,
I'm involving the period 1946-1950.
About the time when Burgess' field was the home of Guard House football club who regularly played in front of 1,000 + spectators.
As you will appreciate this was the era of local and civic pride and support, BEFORE THE EXPANSION IN SALES OF TV sets (generally accepted as the 1953 Coronation ceremony viewing)
But that's another subject !!

Long time since this site was last used lads!

I was at KBGS for a couple of years about 1960 and at that time we had a very active locospotting club very ably run by one D.A.Peart who taught English!

Many interesting trips were run (Including one where we left a member Youngs(?)at Kirkby Stephen for the night).

Other members I recall were H Jessup,Tony Dalton and Michael Harrison-Jessup is still in Keighley but I lost touch with the other two many years ago!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-62

Current location (optional) Shipley.

On Friday I had to stop at the Oakworth station level crossing. There was a lot of activity with chaps with cameras and movie cameras. I wondered what was going on when along came the Brittania Class Oliver Cromwell. It has been a guest of the K.W.V.R. this weekend. Quite a wonderful sight.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Ken, indeed. Tony Peart passed away about three years ago. I thought we had his obit on the site somewhere but I can't immediately find it.

It's under "Family Notices"(for some reason).